Amusing anger management stitching

Old May 8th 05, 11:27 AM
F.James Cripwell

Dianne Lewandowski ) writes:

I'm curious. Why does speed cause road damage? A heavy truck is a
heavy truck and causes stress on highways no matter the speed, I would
think?

Dianne

I suspect this is a classic case of Newtonian physics; kinetic
energy, momentum and all that jazz. If a truck is going slowly, and hits
an irregularity on the road, it does not hit it with much in the way of
energy amd momentum, and so causes less damage. It is like a boxing
match. If one boxer hits his opponent slowly, he will do lot less damage
than if his fist is travelling fast. HTH.

--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.
Old May 8th 05, 02:10 PM
Dr. Brat

Linda D. wrote:

If you speed be prepared for a speeding ticket and don't complain if
you get one.

How is this presented as an opinion rather than an order, Linda? I'll
complain if I want to, thank you very much.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old May 8th 05, 02:48 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/8/05 6:27 AM, in article , "F.James
Cripwell" wrote:

I suspect this is a classic case of Newtonian physics; kinetic
energy, momentum and all that jazz. If a truck is going slowly, and hits
an irregularity on the road, it does not hit it with much in the way of
energy amd momentum, and so causes less damage. It is like a boxing
match. If one boxer hits his opponent slowly, he will do lot less damage
than if his fist is travelling fast. HTH.

--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.
This creature of doom flies over the frozen tundra in winter,
shrieking its dreaded call; "Key, Key, Key, Key rist but it's cold!!"

Force = (Mass x acceleration) + K

In this case, K = heat and friction caused by the tires, mass the total sum
of the vehicle and it's load

Old May 8th 05, 07:24 PM
Judy

"Brenda" wrote in message
I'm not entirely certain how it works. I have a good friend who is a
structural engineer with Iowa DOT who assures me this is true.

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
I'm curious. Why does speed cause road damage? A heavy truck is a heavy
truck and causes stress on highways no matter the speed, I would think?

I would think that it has more to do with the braking and accelerating.
Judy

Old May 8th 05, 08:30 PM
Dawne Peterson

Sigh - I have this picture of Dawne heading towards Regina with the
top down, hair flying out behind her singing Brunhildes part lol

Oh, I wish. We are having sporadic thunderstorms (which might be okay for
the Brunhilde part) and nasty cold wind. But I did drive over the limit,
just on general principal, on my way to church, and passed someone in the
parking lot!!
Dawne

Old May 8th 05, 11:03 PM
Linda D.

Elizabeth wrote:
How is this presented as an opinion rather than an order, Linda? I'll
complain if I want to, thank you very much.

Elizabeth

On Sun, 08 May 2005 14:02:45 GMT, Lucretia Borgia
wrote:
I thought that was a stab at me because I started this rolling by
'fessing up I received a ticket for speeding. I never said though
that I didn't deserve it.
snipped
Sigh - I have this picture of Dawne heading towards Regina with the
top down, hair flying out behind her singing Brunhildes part lol

Arghhhhh......I wasn't presenting my opinion to anyone specific, but
speeders in general. If *a person* drives over the speed limit be
prepared to get a speeding ticket, and if that person does get a
speeding ticket they have no one to blame but themselves. Just the
same as if you drink and drive and get stopped by the police, be
prepared for an impaired driving charge. It's common sense...

....Linda
Old May 9th 05, 12:20 AM
Dr. Brat

Linda D. wrote:

Arghhhhh......I wasn't presenting my opinion to anyone specific, but
speeders in general. If *a person* drives over the speed limit be
prepared to get a speeding ticket, and if that person does get a
speeding ticket they have no one to blame but themselves. Just the
same as if you drink and drive and get stopped by the police, be
prepared for an impaired driving charge. It's common sense...

It is common sense, so I guess I'm puzzled about why you keep needing to
repeat it.

When I drove from Indiana to Delaware three times a year, I could save
an hour or more on my trip by exceeding the speed limit (then 55 on the
Penn Turnpike) or by travelling through states with a higher limit (or
lower fines). It was a caculation that I made, that as often as I got a
speeding ticket (once in 8 years), the cost was well worth the time
saved on the trips. I was lucky that I did not get pulled over more
often, but I was also careful to do nothing, other than exceeding the
speed limit (and not by much), that would have caused me to be pulled over.

What I don't understand is your need to equate speeding drivers with
reckless or drunk drivers. It's not the same thing.

You'll probably consider me a reckless dog owner as well, when I tell
you that there is no place in town where dogs are allowed to be off
leash. My dogs need to run, so my husband and I take them out on the
wharf when there is no one around, and spread out, and call them back
and forth between us. When someone approaches, we call them to heel,
and leash them immediately. Am I breaking the law? Yup. Could I be
fined $50 for it? Yup. Will I consider it money well spent when it
happens? You betcha! Does that put me in the same category as the
person who lets their dog run wild all the time? Not a chance.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old May 9th 05, 01:12 AM
Linda D.

On Sun, 08 May 2005 19:20:25 -0400, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:
[...]

....and all this is 'your opinion', and you are certainly entitled to
it. I just don't happen to agree with it.

....Linda
Old May 9th 05, 02:04 AM
Dr. Brat

Linda D. wrote:

...and all this is 'your opinion', and you are certainly entitled to
it. I just don't happen to agree with it.

You don't have to agree. But don't complain when I don't sit back and
smile sweetly when you disagree. I'm not going to accept your
proclaimations of your opinion any more than you accept mine.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old May 9th 05, 04:20 PM
Dawne Peterson

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote
I don't know about Saskatchewan but in NS the worst fate that can
befall you happens if you hit somebody entering or leaving a church !
I guess we are still that type of Province lol

I could make a comment about it all depending on which church they were
entering or leaving (having once seen a "Drive slowly, you might hit an
Anglican" sign), but that would be unkind.
Dawne