What are you stitching

Old June 14th 11, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Default OT childhood stuff was What are you stitching

On 6/14/11 12:09 PM, in article
, "Joan E."
wrote:

On Jun 13, 10:57*am, "Ellice K." wrote:
LOL - we probably had the same set! *Surely must be a great bunch of photos.
I always had 6-shooter gun & holster sets, then moving on to cap guns. *Then
we also got slot cars - I remember those a lot. *

Yup, all those, too! In fact, I still have my metallic blue stingray
corvette! I don't know if my brother still has the track and his
cars, but I saved mine. I should ask him sometime. I bet he'd be
surprised I still have my car!

LOL - I was the one always playing with upgrading the controllers. Along
with the boy next door - who was my age, and cute, but 2 years behind me in
school - I was really friends with his older sister. Our mom's used to
carpool us to a commercial slot car place that had a few huge tracks, many
lanes. You'd go plug in your controller at a station along the track - kind
of like pit row - and then add in to the races. I think this was one way
they got the kids out of the way for a few hours on a Saturday in bad
weather.

Sorry yours got lost. *My DM gave my full set of classics - all leather
bound, antiques - to her cousin - to be given back to me. *Hah. *Along with
my full set of Cherry Ames, The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew - and my baby
jewelry (small bracelets, some other stuff). *Then to add insult to injury -
she gave them my record collection in kitshcy latch box *- all my 45s.

I never heard about Cherry Ames but I had some BT and many ND. I also

Cherry Ames starts out when she's a student nurse, and then goes on thru her
adventures in WWII. It's pretty good!

still have some of my baby jewelry. Come to think of it, I bet they'd
go well with the baptismal gown I'm making!

I bet they would. I have a pair of tiny, tiny gold hoops with some design
to their shape. And my baby diamond ring (it was a gift, IIRC, from my
grandparents best friends to me at my naming) - which I wore as a little kid
for special occasions, which now is on my charm bracelet.

I'm assuming you've asked your mom's cousin about them? Maybe you
could get at least some of them back??? It's sad when things like
that disappear. DH's baseball cards disappeared from his folks'
house. He thinks his "wonderful" brother took and sold them.

Well, I gave up quite a while ago asking the cousin -it's just one of those
really annoying things - but it's just stuff. Hey, my DSIL (the best of the
bunch) went into my parents personal belongings, and took out whatever she
wanted to make a display case - for my DB. Of course she did this sometime
immediately after my DF passed away - without telling me - or my DB. Then
when it was done, and I was there doing some estate stuff - my DB said "look
at the beautiful case of mommy & dad's memorabilia that S made!" The
response, which I, and our family friends all had was wondering when my DB
became an only child - and how my DSIL got the idea she had the privilege to
take whatever she wanted. It's been interesting. Including my parents'
baby bracelets, birth announcements, their silver baby cups, rattles, and a
bunch of other personal items. My DB seemed perplexed that I found this not
good. Such is life. Bear in mind this is my "good" SIL. The ones that are
DHs sisters are beyond some description - those are the two that decided to
go thru his mother's dresser - which had in it things from his dad that were
left to my DH, along with some miscellaneous stuff (they already had their
inheritances, we were letting them look at some other "stuff" in general)
and left us a huge stack of jewelry, small gift boxes - which we thought
they hadn't put away - instead finding every single one was empty - and left
in a stack sort of "hah, hah - we took everything." They're incredible
asses.

The only serious memorabilia we've lost - which we suspect my DSIL sold off
- or really is just lost - was a Baseball from the 1955 World Series, signed
by every member of the winning Brooklyn Dodgers (the year before they moved
west) - and inscribed on the date of my birthday (though earlier). All of
them - including Duke Snyder and many greats. Friends of my grandparents
(he was the one involved with sports & show business). For my whole life we
remember it being in my DF's personal drawer -where he kept his jewelry, and
special things. Then it was on display when they moved to the condo.
Somehow, when we were going thru things, my brother had it when my DF was
sick - and my DF had said it was for me 'cause my DB got the baseball cards.
Amazingly - the baseball disappeared - and now no one knows. Of course, it
is possible my crazy aunt has it. My DB says he doesn't. OTOH - he also
lost my parents wedding album, along with a couple of other large leather
photo albums. Ack.

Well - who knows. DH just called he's finally on the way home, and we're
actually going to a seafood place from a local restaurant group that we
really like. Got a "today only" groupon that was too good to resist - so
.....No cooking tonight - and I have to go get dressed out of the grungy
yardwork shorts & t.....

Guess this was plenty OT! - Back to some stitching soon!

Old June 15th 11, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Default OT childhood stuff

On 6/15/11 7:17 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 06:30:50 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 6/14/11 6:36 PM, Ellice K. wrote:
On 6/14/11 12:09 PM, in article
, "Joan E."
wrote:

On Jun 13, 10:57 am, "Ellice wrote:
[...]

We have a semi active slot car track in the house!

I had a shrapnel collection, beautifully laid out in my room and my
brother and I spent hours spying on the house next door. It had been
requisitioned by the US Army for their officers and my brother had
this idea (generated by all the signs etc that said "Walls have ears"
"Loose lips sink ships" etc) that it was probably a cover and really
they were spies.

So we used to work our way right up to the windows, concealed in the
laurels and watch their every move. Never having had it, imagine our
surprise when for dinner one night they had tomato soup. That
definitely said something was wrong!

That sounds very fun! Didn't know that you wouldn't have had tomato soup - I
think here it was a staple of the tinned food culture. Did you think the
color implied it was something horrible?

It was a different era, good kids were kids who were out and about. We
were only in trouble if late for meals, otherwise, stay out from
underfoot. I am quite sure that keeping kids in and simply escorting
them to 'activities' these days is going to raise the very worst
adults.

Very true about being out and about. When we moved to FL, there was a lot
of undeveloped land, swamps/woods surrounding our neighborhood. The gang
would go out exploring - with walking sticks and knives of some sort for
hacking thru the "jungle" - for hours. It was an amazing set of ecosystems
- really - 'cause you'd hike thru a section of woods, and then there was
suddenly marsh/swampland - and be careful for sucking muddy quicksand kind
of areas -many a sneaker was ruined or lost. We found a gypsy encampment in
the woods about 2 miles thru our wonderland - which was fine - at first.
We'd seen some old stuff dumped there, but then when we stumbled on the
encampment that was more interesting - until the afternoon when someone
actually shot at us. Seriously - you never saw kids suddenly scurrying as
fast as they could - and then the question of do we or don't we tell the
adults (it was kids from about 4 families, all our parents quite friendly).
I do believe we told, likely because the younger kids - about age 8 were
pretty freaked out. But at least we had several months of exploring with
just telling the folks we were out - exploring. We definitely were only in
trouble if we were really late for dinner, didn't come when called - or hurt
someone.

Oh well, I won't be around when they are adults and rule the world !

Not as if there aren't plenty of troubled ruling situations now. Perhaps
something will turn around - we're definitely seeing kids outside playing in
our hood. There is a young bunch of budding cricketeers here. They play at
the house across the street - and while I don't know why instead of in their
backyard, they bat from the high part of the driveway - towards my house.
So, constantly have the yard full of kids running over to fetch balls.
They're pretty young - 5-9, and play with a cricket bat and tennis balls.
There is actually a huge set of cricket matches every weekend at one of the
athletic fields in our development. Must be at least a hundred people
hanging about - I think a few teams come and play over the whole weekend.
Fun watching the kids in the hood - it reminds me more of my childhood, as
the kids come from a couple of blocks all around to play down our cul-de-sac
- or with the driveway cricket pitch. Maybe there's hope.

ellice

Old June 15th 11, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

wrote:

[...]

Wow - I'm impressed ;^) Ours isn't set-up- but as we're cleaning/clearing -
we recently found DH's box of parts. Just what we need to go with all the
other things in toy & sports world!

Old June 20th 11, 09:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lisa R

Default What are you stitching

Just finished Art Studio's Deco Wreath, ostensibly for DD1's room, but
who knows if it will ever make it there. I did all the outlining in
Kreinik over the DMC, some gold, some in the 2 sagey green colors.
Now working on Yvette Ungricht's "We Seek After These Things."
And really wanting to start a design I made myself - a line sampler.
Speaking of which, anyone here ever published a design? How do you
get it copyrighted? I'm tempted to try self publishing this and
pitching it to local stores. Would I have to get a business license
and pay attention to funky tax rules and all that jazz?

Lisa
Old June 20th 11, 09:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lisa R

On Jun 7, 11:58*am, "Ellice K." wrote:

Of course we're all laughing.

SoCal).http://www.janezimmerman.com/Site/Student_Gallery.html

you'll find it. *http://www.tonigerdes.com/workshops

OOOhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are magnificent! Where do I
take classes? Wish there was something online like Victoria Sampler
does! How good are the instructions? Could I figure it out myself,
with patience, a wrinkle in my brow, and the tip of my tongue between
my teeth?

Lisa
Old June 20th 11, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 6/20/11 4:55 AM, in article
, "Lisa R"
wrote:

On Jun 7, 11:58*am, "Ellice K." wrote:

Of course we're all laughing.

SoCal).
http://www.janezimmerman.com/Site/Student_Gallery.html

you'll find it. *http://www.tonigerdes.com/workshops

OOOhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are magnificent! Where do I
take classes? Wish there was something online like Victoria Sampler
does! How good are the instructions? Could I figure it out myself,
with patience, a wrinkle in my brow, and the tip of my tongue between
my teeth?

Lisa

Glad you like them. Toni's things are really lovely, and she's a very good
teacher, and generally nice, fun person.

WRT taking her classes - I'd send her a note and ask her where/when any of
these pieces will be taught. She might show up on Shining Needle Society at
some time. You can find them on Yahoo - it's essentially a group that
handles the administration of on-line (cyber) classes taught independently
of the guild meetings. Many fabulous teachers offer classes thru SNS. Try
this to see their home-page:

I think Toni has been teaching at ANG/NAN seminars, and likely EGA - so she
may be starting to teach some of these pieces at local chapters or regional
mini-seminars. A lot of guild chapters will have workshops with national
teachers once or twice a year.

Oh, to your question - depending on your comfort level and experience - the
instructions are good. But, some people really needed to have the
instructor look over the shoulder, and do some further explanation. IME,
with the class I took - if you're willing to do some doodle cloth work, you
might be able to do her pieces with these instructions. Again, depending on
your experience with laying threads, couching techniques. If you haven't
done some laying of silks, then you'd want to practice with some floss, and
get some hints about using the tool well to get that nice, satiny finish.
But I don't think tons of tooth grinding would be involved - but definitely
the tongue between the teeth ;^)

Ellice
Who will put up a couple of photos soon

Been Stitching Away! alicia in Hawaii Needlework 0 June 15th 08 10:08 PM
What we're stitching now... Jere Williams Needlework 275 April 22nd 06 08:04 PM
Stitching Over 1 Tia Mary Needlework 5 August 22nd 05 05:36 AM
Stitching & me Pirjo Ilvesvuori Needlework 0 November 20th 04 01:15 PM
If you are behind in your stitching!! Fred Needlework 9 October 2nd 03 04:48 PM