pattern storage

Old January 18th 05, 01:47 PM
Kate Dicey

Joy Hardie wrote:

I'm aiming to be back in my wedding dress for my silver wedding in 3
years time... Hm... If I hit my goal, it'll be to BIG by then!

Now that's interesting....because I have always been afraid that my
wedding dress isn't actually in the box. You know when you take it to
the cleaners to have it specially cleaned and they seal it up in that
protective wrap etc? They say not to opent he box to let air
......well how do I know my dress is actually in there? My Mother told
me not to open it or it would "yellow" or something. That's what the
drycleaning guy told her and she had paid a bundle so I just did as I
was told.
I told you all the story of having my mother in tears at my wedding
because she had paid me money to hire a seamstress...who got sick and
so I decided to learn to sew. Started with the underskirt where
nobody would see and figured by the time I got to anything important I
would know what I was doing. Well, at the reception somebody had
commented to my mother about my dress and she had said I hired a
seamstress and my husband blurted out..."no, Joy made it". Oh, my
mother couldn't believe it and after asking me she was shaken with
emotion. She let me keep the money she was planning to pay the
seamstress!
But, Do you peek in those hermetically sealed drycleaning boxes to
see if your wedding dress is really in there or not and spoil the
"seal?"
Joy

Mine has never been sealed up. It was cleaned after I wore it first
time at the wedding, and hung in a standard dry cleaner's bag for 5
years... Then I wore it for a party, after which I just hung it in the
back of the wardrobe for ever...

I got it cleaned last summer as it was a bit dusty... No special
cleaning, just the standard dry clean, though they did put it in a new
batch of cleaner with a pile of other wedding stuff they were doing!
It's silk, and has lasted 22 years of mistreatment with no visible damage.

My veil was my mother's, then her cousin's, then mine and my sister's,
then it went to Oz for another cousin... His marriage failed,
unfortunately, though that was the first failure for the veil, and no he
didn't wear it! Mum has it back now. It's a perfectly plain 120"
square of seriously fine silk tulle: you really CAN hold it in the
centre and pull it through a wedding ring! The only time I ever
remember mum taking her wedding ring off was to show me this neat trick.
After taking it off my headdress, we tried it with my wedding ring
too, and it worked with it.

I could not wear my rings for about 4 years as my fingers were so fat.
It has been so nice to have them on again. I took them off for swimming
on Friday, and dare not put them on again... My engagement ring came
off by itself in the washing-up! I think I need to have a size taken
out! I had one put in many years ago when they got tight...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 18th 05, 03:36 PM
Karen Maslowski

Joy, I hate to burst your (or anyone else's) bubble, but most of those
"hermetically sealed" dry cleaning storage boxes are nothing more than a
scam. I mean, how can a paper box be "airtight"? It can't. There are a
couple of places in the country that do museum-quality storage, but it's
outrageously expensive, and probably out of reach for all but the most
historically significant garments.

The best way to store a fine garment is in unbleached muslin, and to
make sure it gets enough air circulation that creases don't form
permanently. It can also be removed periodically and the position of
folds changed, etc.

There used to be someone on this forum who did fabric and garment
conservation, and she had lots of great information. Kay Lancaster, was
that you? And Teri Jones has some excellent knowledge on this topic, as
well. I bow to their greater expertise.

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old January 18th 05, 08:55 PM
Olwynmary

I have always been afraid that my
wedding dress isn't actually in the box.

Get that box open NOW, so you have time to do something about it if they didn't
get all the stains out. There was a major scandal here a number of years back,
when one bride did indeed open up the box and found out that (a) it wasn't her
dress, and (b) it hadn't been cleaned. She went to the local tv station for
help, and when they broadcast the story and named the drycleaners, lots lof
other brides found out the same thing. Needless to say, as soon as the first
story was broadcast the shop owners closed down and skipped town. Some of the
women did get together later and get their own gowns back, but there were also
some who never will, presumably because others who had the wrong ones have
either moved away or didn't hear the story.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old January 18th 05, 11:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:36:36 -0500, Karen Maslowski wrote:
Joy, I hate to burst your (or anyone else's) bubble, but most of those
"hermetically sealed" dry cleaning storage boxes are nothing more than a
scam. I mean, how can a paper box be "airtight"? It can't. There are a
couple of places in the country that do museum-quality storage, but it's
outrageously expensive, and probably out of reach for all but the most
historically significant garments.

Not to mention being folded up with the folds in one spot for many years
isn't the greatest idea in fabric conservation. g
http://home.hiwaay.net/~josie1/weddi..._preserve.html

Kay

Old January 19th 05, 12:56 AM
Karen Maslowski

Excellent website, Kay. I knew you'd have more info for us! Thanks. I've
bookmarked this one for future reference.

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old January 19th 05, 04:57 AM
admom

my latest "discovery" for pattern storage was the "sleeves" for "old style"
comic books. you can get a whole bunch of them for not a lot of bux--and
they sell backing boards that stiffen the see-thru sleeve, allow for visible
writing and notes, and have a resealing top that folds over, and prevents
"fallout". they store in boxes quite nicely (computer printer paper boxes,
etc), are visible when you flip thru them, and don't slip down when you
stack them in the box. okay. yes, i am a geek. but it works!

admom

Old January 19th 05, 06:48 AM
BEI Design

Kay Lancaster wrote:
reach for all but the most historically significant garments.

Not to mention being folded up with the folds in one spot for
many years
isn't the greatest idea in fabric conservation. g
http://home.hiwaay.net/~josie1/weddi..._preserve.html

What a terrific site. I have bookmarked it AND printed the information.
I'll be storing DD's gown everntually, and that has all the information I'll
need.

Thanks,

--
Beverly
delete no spam and .invalid to reply

Old January 20th 05, 09:08 AM
Scare Crowe

I have a Simplicity pattern cabinet which I purchased (cheap) from a
fabric store which was going out of business. It isn't pretty but sure
is handy. I have fashioned cardboard dividers with separate listings
(i.e. dresses, pants, crafts, etc) as i like to go thru them and compare
the individual componets in case I want to substitute something.
Hillbilly Dot in Tennessee

Old February 14th 05, 06:10 AM
Ginger

Ward wrote:
"BEI Design" wrote in message

"Ward" wrote in message
wsgroups.com...

I get a little crazy with my patterns. snip

That has to be the *year's* biggest understatement! ;-)

(I have to admit a secret admiration, though.)

--
Beverly
delete no spam and .invalid to reply

It's worse then I let on. I was buying an extra 1/8 yard of fabric just so
I could organize my stash. In the store I'd write down all the information
from the end of the bolt and the yardage amounts onto index cards. Then I'd
go home, cut a swatch off the extra yardage, and staple it to the card.
Just in case I wanted to match the fabric with something else, I'd cut about
a 4 inch square, clean finish the edges with the serger, put a button hole
in the corner, and then stick it on one of those big snap-apart binder rings
you get in the office supply store. When I'd go shopping at fabric sales,
I'd snap apart the ring, snap it closed onto my handbag strap, and use it to
compare fabrics / colors at the sale. Before putting away the new fabric
I'd make a copy of the info on the index card and pin it to the edge of the
fabric so I wouldn't forget the washing instructions, etc. I finally
dropped the index cards and the fabric swatch habits, but I still tag the
fabric before putting it away and scan the patterns I buy. I keep the index
cards around as a reminded to remain in control. I'm a really addicted to
this stuff.

Are you a Virgo?