Adopt-A-Soldier Program

Old October 2nd 03, 04:43 PM
Allaya Diep

Default Adopt-A-Soldier Program

Hi everybody!

In addition to our upcoming new arrival, my husband and I decided to take in
another life form into our family...a US Soldier in Afghanistan! DH's
company has enrolled in the Adopt-A-Soldier program where company employees
send personal care packages to soldiers in the Mid-East.

At any rate, I was wondering if anybody here had any loved ones serving our
country overseas, and if you could give me any suggestions as to things that
might be useful or enjoyed (we have a list of some suggestions, but I was
just wondering).

Also, I noticed on the weather forecasts that Afghanistan is getting a
little chilly at night...do any of you know if caps, gloves, quilts, etc.
are needed? I can't imagine that the military would let their boys go cold
at night, but I imagine it would be nice to have a cooshy quilt or something
to come back to.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. We send out packages every month,
so if any of you are interested in throwing in an item or two, please let me
know! I hope to hear back from our guy soon, so maybe he can offer more
info on the subject as well (I think any article of clothing in black is
safe).

Thanks for your help!
Allaya

Links to C-Company pictures:
http://www.wdc.com/en/company/community/sas/news.asp

Old October 2nd 03, 06:51 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Allaya Diep" wrote in message
[...]

Allaya,
Kelley (dd#2) and Steve (dsil) both served 7 months there, and here's some
advice/and/list of ideas:
Birthday cards to send home to loved ones.
Christmas cards to send home to loved ones.
US postage in increments of $3.70 (priority mail stamps)
" " " " " " " " 37cents (regular book of stamps)
Mosquito repellant with DEET.

DON'T send anything religious... ONLY family members are "allowed" to send
Bibles, Testaments, etc.
HTH,
Noreen

--
STRIP *tease* to email me.

---

Old October 2nd 03, 08:06 PM
NoraBalcer

Allaya,

If my memory serves me right, the guys and gals need hats to go under their
helmets to keep warm. I know there is a group somewhere that does hats and they
may be able to give you more suggestions.

Hugs,

Nora
Old October 3rd 03, 12:50 AM
Beinchat

My older sons unti was sent over to Iraq the end of January...they're home
now, but were told they may have to go back : (.
The biggest thing: wet wipes....eye drops, toothpaste, tooth brushes,
deoderant, foot powder, comfort items such as: candy, gum, koolaid, ramen
noodles, magazines, puzzle books, soap, plastic ziplock bags -they keep
everything in these because of the fine sand that gets into everything-
cookies, snack type foods, note paper, envelopes, stamps, pens,
pencils......hope this helps give you an idea....thanks for thinking of them!
Marie C.
Old October 3rd 03, 04:56 AM
CMM PDX2

Allaya wrote:
snipsnipsnip
At any rate, I was wondering if anybody here had any loved
ones serving our country overseas, and if you could give me
any suggestions as to things that
might be useful or enjoyed

Allaya - For making warm items and more goodie ideas, go to the website listed
in my sig and check out ideas given at the Ships Support project. It was
started to send warm things to personnel on ships, but has spread to include
umpteen ground units and some air units, so the info there will cover your new
adoptee. (and congratulations, btw! g) Reading through the responses and pix
posted from the ground troops should help, too. It's updated as to what kind of
reactions different items get, so that's a way of keeping track of what's
popular at any given time.

Beware of many patterns on the web specified as ok for the troops - lots of
them have turned out to be useless or not allowed by TPTB. See below for
suggestions, that'll give you some idea.

As to one specific item you mentioned - quilts - I remember those and afghans
came up in discussion on the SS list some time ago. They aren't a good idea,
alas. Mostly because of the bulk, when it comes to ground troops. Admittedly,
plenty of units are now staying relatively put; but still, at any time they may
have to pull up stakes and move, fast. And for those ground forces that don't
have a regular station, they're traveling most of the time - on foot. You can't
carry an afghan or quilt along when you're lugging an 80-lb. pack, rifle, ammo,
etc....which means anything else gets dumped. If your guy's one of them, think
wilderness hiking trip with huge backpacks - already full - plus hunting gear
(and no 4-wheel drive to get there in), dry camps, mostly cold food, showers
once a month if then, and no conveniences whatsoever. For God knows how long at
a time.

Basically, what's been most popular in knitted/crocheted items for Ship Support
- for both sailors *and* soldiers - has been hats and slippers. Plus sewn cool
ties for the hot summer months, should he still be over there next summer -
likely. (the latter being long, narrow tubes of fabric filled with a few tspns.
of those crystals for plants that absorb water - a big help in high
temperatures. you can find patterns on the web. they're worn around the neck,
and longer lengths like 50" or so are best, if I remember right. tight-woven
cotton fabric is best, no fancy prints. include instructions on how to use;
they have to soak them in water before wearing. he may be skeptical at first -
assure him that both ship and ground forces have raised hosannas about them in
temps of 100+.)

And while the military does try, our guys *do* get cold in winter. Apparently
military-issue hats and gloves aren't as good as home-made ones. Plus they
don't get issued any kind of night-time footwear, so some sort of sturdy
slipper is nice - gives 'em a chance to get out of those danged boots without
getting frostbite.

That being said...here's a list of things the guys don't like, have problems
with, and/or the military won't allow except during off-duty or special times;
and some pointers on what they *do* like/need:

--The guys don't like 'girly' colors. (i.e., pink, lavender, yellow, etc.
*definitely* not white.) And dark colors are best; you're right on the black.
Others usually ok are navy, dark gray, deep fir green. Black is probably best
for any on-duty wear. Maybe *desert* camo colors, in tans, grays, browns--check
with your guy if he can wear that on duty or not. (no woodlands/green/snow/blue
type camo colors.) Boring, but they can at least wear them with uniforms. And
not get shot at because they're showing up on the landscape. (on the Ship
Support site you'll see naval personnel wearing all sorts of hats in bright
colors. this is only because they usually have a Silly Hat Day, when they're
allowed to wear such, for morale. ground troops don't have Silly Hat Days.)
Off-duty, some brighter colors, such as red, or team color combinations, can be
ok, but you'll have to check. Problem with checking is that the poor guy may
not have time/access to get back to you for a long time after you ask, so it's
safest to go with the darks.

--No hats w/pompoms or any kind of topknot, frills, bulky stitch patterns, etc.
Hats with anything on top, *or* turned-up cuffs won't fit under a helmet. Nor
are they regulation. Hats knit with bulky yarn won't fit, either. Hats should
be close-fitting; no berets. Yes, he'll probably be wearing a hat off-duty a
lot; but if it's a choice between one ok for duty wear, and one that he can
*only* wear off duty, guess which may get dumped if they have to move? Even if
not that mobile, does he have *room* to store things? Also, hats 'n such need
to be able to be stuffed into a pocket; another reason for not using bulky
yarns, as well. Earwarmers started out being popular, then not. (if I ever get
my old computer hooked back up, I have a file on it of a pattern for a knit
watch cap I designed specifically to fit under a helmet--no double cuff, 1x1
rib where the usual cuff would be, stockinette for the rest, tight gauge. lemme
know if you want it, I'll send it to you. or post it here. I need to move the
rest of my files to my new computer, anyway, that'll give me a push. g I
think someone here on rcty may have gotten it already, if anyone remembers??
whoever you are, if you've got it, feel free to post it. I copyrighted it but
released it for any type of use and free distribution, just keep my name with
it. so spread it around.)

--Concentrate on warmth and sturdiness. Lacy, openwork, or fancy-stitch knit or
crochet items aren't useful. Ditto granny-square items. (and are too girly.
g) Go back to the old-fashioned kind of knitting/crocheting at gauges that
seem awfully tight to us nowadays, on smaller needles, with worsted or finer
weight yarn. US #6's, #5's or even #4's are good, depending on how tightly you
knit or crochet.

--Acrylic is good, because it can stand up to careless washing and drying
anywhere. (everyone would probably wash things first anyway, but just in
case--don't be insulted--if you or anyone donating ends up using Red Heart
pounders, do make sure to wash those items before sending. it's actually pretty
soft after you wash it once, especially with some vinegar in the rinse cycle.
but before washing the first time, bleaaaugghhh!) If you use wool yarn that's
not superwash, include basic instructions for handwashing - under rough
conditions. Some hint like the fact that scrubbing a wool hat/socks briskly, or
washing them in whatever, if any, laundry services he may rarely have access
to, will guarantee that he gets to donate said item(s) to a deserving local
child wearing a much smaller size. g Make sure to specify handwash *only*;
they do it with stuff when they can on long patrols, anyway, so he shouldn't
faint. But if he does get near any laundry facilities, his stuff will get
dumped into one big pile, and they use *industrial*-type machines. No gentle
cycles or low-heat drying. If you don't tell him, he may forget and toss a pure
wool item in there. Oh, and anyone in the military shouldn't be allergic to
wool; if I remember right, being allergic to it is one of the things that gets
you washed out. Basically, stick pretty much to pure acrylic, or pure wool,
unless you know for sure how a blended yarn will stand up to rough use.

--Slippers - they don't like any of the square kinds that you fold to sew
together into shape; they fall off too easily. (and look girly. gg) Something
thick with a decent cuff of at least 3" to 4", that'll stay on, is what they
want. This is about the only thing where doubled/tripled or thick yarns knit on
big needles is ok. Just make sure you can't poke a finger through it easily.

--Socks - Thick yarn is ok if you're using a sock pattern for slippers. But if
you're really knitting socks, then they have to be in finer yarns so they can
actually be worn with military-issue boots. And it'd probably be a good idea to
find a real, live soldier - with field boots - to test 'em out on locally
before mailing.

--Gloves - the fingerless kind seemed to be popular, what few were sent out.
Mittens, no, not even for off-duty.

--Scarves - not too popular. They catch in things. Ask about a neck gaiter
instead. (tube to be worn round the neck. make sure it'll stretch enough to go
over the head when he pulls it on.)

--Men's medium sizes are, not unusually, the most needed. Hats, 20"-22" around;
slippers/socks, 9"--10-1/2" long. Remember they've got military haircuts; don't
make hats *too* big.

--Don't pin anything together for shipping. If you need to keep things
together, tie them with a strand of contrasting yarn.

--Re Noreen's comment about anything religious - even little notes stuffed in
saying 'God bless you' or 'Our prayers are with you' and such - they mean it!
Don't.

Marie's list of goodies was excellent - a few additional hints:

--Keep everything in original packages. Get travel-sizes.

--Nothing that's going to melt or get runny or stick together. (chocolate,
gummi bears, any soft candies, etc.)

--Jerky seems to be hugely popular almost any time.

--Sometimes hot drink mixes, especially cocoa, are popular. In summer, some of
the units wanted pre-sweetened Kool-Aid. (sugar's hard to come by. water is
easier.)

--As Marie said, they really love Ramen. And they stand up to shipping better
than things like Cup O'Noodles and such. Weird-shaped packaging is a pain and
often gets crushed/broken open.

Last - the contact with someone back home means a *lot*. Many folks in the
military don't have any family at all. One big thing that's been said by CO's
on the ship list is that for many kids, stuff from the list is the only thing
they'll get for Christmas. They may not have time or be in a place where
they're able to acknowledge everything, but they sure will appreciate it.

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
Old October 3rd 03, 06:29 PM
Ranee Mueller

In article 9FXeb.5434$La.360@fed1read02, "Allaya Diep"
wrote:

At any rate, I was wondering if anybody here had any loved ones
serving our country overseas, and if you could give me any
suggestions as to things that might be useful or enjoyed (we have a
list of some suggestions, but I was just wondering).

Also, I noticed on the weather forecasts that Afghanistan is getting
a little chilly at night...do any of you know if caps, gloves,
quilts, etc. are needed? I can't imagine that the military would let
their boys go cold at night, but I imagine it would be nice to have a
cooshy quilt or something to come back to.

Find out for sure where they are. Baghdad is still hot, Afghanistan
is not, for instance. Foot powder, foot powder, foot powder.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Old October 3rd 03, 11:50 PM
Claire

My first husband was in the British Army and there were a few things that he
always asked for when he was away (which he was for almost half of our
marriage) - even though he took a stock with him, they'd eventually run out
and supplies were always harder to come by the further away from the main
base they were. Mostly he wanted really thick socks (not to wear under his
boots but to wear at night - feet get cold even if the temperatures don't go
that low and army blankets never seemed to be long enough for the taller
soldiers! Boiled hard sweets (that won't melt) and are individually
wrapped - a couple of packs of those were always appreciated. Writing paper
to write home, with envelopes- something they always ran out of and always
loaned to friends so eventually they all ran out! And definitely something
to read! He once took a handful of Readers Digests for the journey that his
mother gave him- short pieces of writing are easier if the lighting is
variable or there are likely to be periods of inactivity - he told me that
they were passed around the platoon until they fell apart. A pack of playing
cards to pass the time, and socks, socks and more socks (depending on where
they are, laundry can be difficult and if they are damp and sweaty then a
clean dry pair can really cheer you up!) For some reason non-regulation
socks always got lost. Maybe because one regulation sock looks much like
another so it doesn't matter if it goes walkabout. He'd always come home
with one of each pair of socks that I'd sent. And like someone else said,
they have to be able to take a pounding when it comes to washing so the
treat-delicately stuff won't last long. Toiletries were always needed -
especially shaving soap (in bar form, not aerosols) and disposable razors.
Mostly what he loved was to be sent a large tinned fruitcake but I guess
that would be difficult to send to the chaps in Iraq. I sent mine all over
the world courtesy of the British Army as the wives could often get a big
box sent out collectively. Mostly what they want is letters though- even
from someone they have never met. It's awfully lonely out there and so many
of them don't have family or friends who write very often. Just a chatty
letter talking about what is going on back at home (wherever home is for
you) can make them feel like someone somewhere gives a damn.

Claire

Old October 4th 03, 07:27 AM
CMM PDX2

Ranee wrote:

The only caveat I'd give here is to find out where they are. My
BIL was in Kuwait, and winter there is not that cold. He was
still scorching in 100 degree nights a few weeks ago.

Good point, Ranee!

And once you find out a general idea, Allaya - then you go check out a weather
almanac site to find out the average temps during the year. Such as the
following link. (sorry about the long URL, but they seem to have hidden the
link from USA Today's Weather Resources that supposedly would lead to this
page...do you think I could find 'climate' listed anywhere? of course not!)

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/reso...e/worldcli.htm

Of course, if you use Baghdad for the city, it doesn't get down much further
than an average low of 38F in January. But if they're further north, who knows?
Guess you'll have to just ask exactly how warm items should be in a general
way. I kinda get the feeling that writing something like, "Just where exactly
are you, anyway, and what's the weather like?" could get you a visit from an
armed squad of various nervous people on your doorstep in the middle of the
night... Well, slipper/socks should be safe to start with, from what Claire
said.

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me