OT-Happy Earth Day!

Old April 22nd 05, 06:58 PM
Elizabeth Young

Default OT-Happy Earth Day!

Jill Pochik wrote:
Today is Earth Day and I thought maybe we could share what each of us is
doing for the earth.

We still have a sea of (dried) red clay mud both front and back of our
new house. But I have 2 pots of jasmine with trellises stuck in the pot
(waiting for a garden bed to put them in) and a semi-dwarf mandarin
orange in a pot. Yesterday, I saw two finches with raspberry-jam colored
bellies perched on the trellis (The Peterson's is still packed so I
can't look them up). So today I put two large plant saucers out as
birdbaths. Hope to see those two again.
The back yard will have several espalliered (spelling?) trees, and a lot
of flowering vines on the fences. I hope the yard will become a haven
for birds and butterflies someday.

liz young in sunny california
Old April 22nd 05, 07:02 PM
Tina

What a nice thought Jill!

Well, I'm kind of behind on everything this week - way too many
appointments... but I did get in new plants and flowers last weekend,
seeds during the few moments I had this week. Pulled weeds, etc.

My son took up a collection for the baby elephant that was just lost at
our local zoo (fortunately, her mother is pregnant again so we are
getting another chance!) and I am helping his class with that drive to
raise money for elephant breeding and research at the zoo - which we
will turn in to them Monday when we go on our field trip there.

Quilting - IMO, is a daily "Earth Day" thing, especially when I read
this NG and read about how everyone tries to maximize their stash and
scrap use! Nothing to waste!

Everything in my house goes in the compost pile!

We use paper over and over and over again around here until there isn't
a square inch of it left for another use.

And I said a prayer today and asked the Creator to continue to lead and
guide us in saving and making our best use of the resources He gave us.

That's about all I can say I have contributed to Earth Day....

Oh, DD made the neatest thing at her high school Earth Day festival -
it is recycled paper that they put wildflower seeds in, mashed and
formed it and then colored/painted it with food colors (to make it look
like the Earth) and you plant the whole thing in the garden to get
wildflowers! It's really neat and she brought it home and gave it to
me cuz she thought I would really enjoy it! Said it was the only thing
at the festival that really interested her! LOL Yep, that's my
artistic DD!

Tina

Old April 22nd 05, 07:25 PM
Kellie J. Berger

that's really kewl! wonder if the cub scouts would like to do something
like that for Mother's day.... hmmmmm I have the molds to make paper... only
2 of them did it with me last year. Moms could plant their card.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... DS could paint a quilt on mine....

--
-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com

ups.com...

Old April 22nd 05, 09:07 PM
Butterfly

My Passion plant is blooming and I found out that the caterpillar feeding on
it will become a "Gulf Fritillary" butterfly : )
Made my day : )
Butterfly

"Elizabeth Young" wrote in message
m...

Old April 22nd 05, 09:32 PM
Tina

Wow, good idea Kellie! Mother's Day gifts!
Kellie are your guys going to Scout Fair this weekend?

Tina

Old April 22nd 05, 10:24 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I have some recycle - save the world fabric. Does that count???
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Jill Pochik" wrote in message
Today is Earth Day and I thought maybe we could share what each of us is
doing for the earth.
My Critter Comforts project is kind of "earth friendly". Much of the
fabric I use would have been disguarded. Scraps, unwanted ugly fabric
and jeans make up many of the dog and cat quilts and the animals just
love them.

Beyond that, my husband and I are putting n a couple of flower beds.
I'm still not sure of what exactly I'm going to plant but I'm leaning
towards plants that butterflies and other animals would like. They will
also include a bird house, bird feeder, squirrel feeder and butterfly
house.
Our little addition to our earth.

Critter Comforts: Quilts for Homeless Animals
http://community.webtv.net/critterco...ritterComforts

Old April 22nd 05, 10:27 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I have several of those. I love them - they come back every year - free
will.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old April 23rd 05, 01:06 AM
Taria

I just spent a fair amount of the last 2 days weeding and
planting. If the world could eat fox tails and bermuda
grass there would be nobody going hungry. My desert yard
is in bloom and looking beautiful. all the work over the
years is so fun to watch come to life.
I sat and watched a hummingbird finish off his day by resting
on a branch for some time. I guess even those high energy
birdies need time to sit back and enjoy the garden.
Taria

Old April 23rd 05, 01:50 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

do you feed your humming birds?? I sure do. I just love having them around
so I have feeders hanging every where. I saw duel between a wasp and a
humming bird - so funny. The wasp lost.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old April 23rd 05, 02:48 AM
Kellie J. Berger

don't think so ... DH has plans for the middle of the day up our way. Not
gonna drag 3 kiddos down there by myself! Went last year though. It Was
huge!!!!

--
-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com