Mini LNS Rant

Old January 7th 04, 08:51 PM
Jan Lennie

These haemostat clamps where at a premium when I was in 'the Mob' medical
dept. . One of my jobs was inventory and they where always missing to either
fishermen/women or needleworkers !!!!
Jan
"Ellice" wrote in message
On 1/7/04 6:21 AM,"Fred" posted:

Yes I'm using 14ct canvas. What and where did you get the hemostat

clamp?

Ah, the old medical education days come in handy! But, my aunt who is a
retired surgeon still has stuff from the office. And I got mine ages

back -
don't actually use them much as a paramedic in the bus ;^)

It's probably better than the pair of vice-grip pliers that I'm using

for
pulling the needle out of tough spots.

I've seen some nice little ones that cost about $6 made for needlework -
they come in a curved tip and a straight tip. I forget the brand - but
they're the company that makes the inexpensive, colored handle scissors.

If
you can't find them locally - I'd be happy to get a set for you (on sale
right now). Also, Rainbow gallery has a new little gadget, needle-puller
thing. It's a little clip with a magnet (you can clip to your scissors if
you like) and mating to the magnet is another little magnet topping a
plastic tube. You pull the mag/tube piece from the clip, and slide the

tube
over the tip of your needle, then grip it, squeezing the tube, like a
sleeve, and pull thru. It works pretty well also. I think you can see it

on
the Rainbow Gallery website.

I'm sure the hemostats, or stitch version clamp would work much better. I
use mine a lot when doing canvas work. Seems especially worthy when
stitching with perle cotton, or basketweave.

I thought basketweave was only used
to lessen distortion. With my fabric mounts there is very little if any
distortion in the canvas when I'm finished.

Well, the anti-distortion thing is one reason. But, with your mounts I
understand that's not an issue. Personally, I don't usually have much
distortion with my canvas work as long as it's framed up when I stitch.

Not sure why one would use the basketweave for designs that are touched

lot. Wear and tear would be on the front side not the back - no?

Anything like upholstery - foot stools, chair cushions - the extra

coverage
on the back helps the entire piece wear better. I guess it's like having a
good heavy fabric, vs a lighter weight one.

Interesting enough I know a chap that buries his threads on the diagonal
versus vertical or horizontal. It is a lot easier and looks great, i.e.

no
funny diagonal lines on the front as some people claim would happen.

Y'know, before I "knew better" I did this. Felt like an idiot at some

class
when the instructor made one of those "obviously everyone will put their
waste knot HORIZONTALLY out to the left" - wasn't obvious to me ;^) But,

will tell you - I have actually seen the line, bump, zipper on some

pieces.
Even saw it on one of my own when I did the waste knot so it ended up

buried
on a diagonal. I was not a happy camper - the stitching was

basketweave/tent
done in Felicity's Garden - wool/silk blend - midnight blue. Sometimes it
just depends on the stitch. I've seen it on enough tent stitch pieces to

be
wary, and just go with the horizontal, or vertical. With some other
stitches, that may be the only option, or it just doesn't show. I'm glad

for
your friend that it works out. Now I'm such a nut I do the little hidden
stitch to lock the thread under when I come in to start - and it helps

with
the direction of the first visible stitch so it doesn't look pulled. And

in
a class with Vima, she taught me finally how to thread perle cotton (the
only thing I don't need a needle threader for) and how to end with a flat
knot.

When I took a judging class, they actually did talk about the diagonal

line
showing - it's one of those details that people judging NP will note.

I'm sure your piece is really nice - looking forward to seeing it. LMK if
you want me to pick up some clamps for you - they're much easier on the
hands, and the needles.

ellice

Old January 7th 04, 10:16 PM
Karen C - California

In article , Joan Erickson
writes:

They say it's supposed to be warmer this
weekend. I'm ready!

Joan, you and Fred are welcome to my house, where it's warmer than where you
are. I'm looking to refugee someplace warmer than here. I'm sure I have
enough frequent flyer miles to get to the Southern Hemisphere.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old January 8th 04, 09:56 AM
Fred

Hi Ellice,
Thanks for the info on the clamp/puller. I will see what there is around
here. I have a few old knives/scalpels and tweezers that I got from a doctor
and find them really good for cutting stitches if I have made an error in
judgment(men don't make mistakes)LOL. Some doctors are *very* reluctant to
give or sell old medical tools.

I think that with regards to burying threads on the back that if you bury
under a true continental stitch there is no problem be it vertical,
horizontal or diagonal. At least not on my stuff. If one tried it under a
bunch of half cross stitches (which are not a series of continental
stitches) it might be a different story.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - "Fiddler on the Roof".
W.I.L., "Romantic Venice",
"Ocean Princess", "Southwest Charm",
"Rainbow Trail", "Indian Pottery", "One Earth",
"Spirit of the Full Moon"
and "+?", "+?", "+?".

Old January 8th 04, 08:03 PM
Ellice

On 1/8/04 4:56 AM,"Fred" posted:

Hi Ellice,
Thanks for the info on the clamp/puller. I will see what there is around
here. I have a few old knives/scalpels and tweezers that I got from a doctor
and find them really good for cutting stitches if I have made an error in
judgment(men don't make mistakes)LOL. Some doctors are *very* reluctant to
give or sell old medical tools.

Yup, I understand about the old medical tools. I'm always saving the
"disposable" scissors from some of our kits. Hmm, hadn't thought of the
scalpel for cutting stitches - it could work. I do have a medical staple
puller - good for some things. We use a bunch of dental tools in doing frame
making, and repairs.

I think that with regards to burying threads on the back that if you bury
under a true continental stitch there is no problem be it vertical,
horizontal or diagonal. At least not on my stuff. If one tried it under a
bunch of half cross stitches (which are not a series of continental
stitches) it might be a different story.

I dunno - like I said - I actually saw the line in one piece of mine, and it
bugged me. But, it was pretty tight basketweave with some tent. Whatever
works for you - as long as you're happy - that's what counts!

LMK if you need me to get you a clamp thing! It'd be fun sending it thru the
post. I can have it sent right from the shop - no tax!

ellice

Old January 9th 04, 12:19 AM
Joan Erickson

Karen C - California wrote:

Joan, you and Fred are welcome to my house, where it's warmer than where you
are. I'm looking to refugee someplace warmer than here. I'm sure I have
enough frequent flyer miles to get to the Southern Hemisphere.

Someday, Karen! I'll get there someday!
--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old January 9th 04, 12:40 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Joan Erickson
writes:

Joan, you and Fred are welcome to my house, where it's warmer than where

you
are. I'm looking to refugee someplace warmer than here. I'm sure I have
enough frequent flyer miles to get to the Southern Hemisphere.

Someday, Karen! I'll get there someday!

Yeah, but how often will you have the opportunity to get here with *Fred*!

Old January 9th 04, 05:29 AM
Fred

I can see it all now - Seven little girls sitting in the backseat with Fred
My head swimeth!LOL

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - "Fiddler on the Roof".
W.I.L., "Romantic Venice",
"Ocean Princess", "Southwest Charm",
"Rainbow Trail", "Indian Pottery", "One Earth",
"Spirit of the Full Moon"
and "+?", "+?", "+?".

Old January 9th 04, 03:28 PM
Joan Erickson

Fred wrote:
I can see it all now - Seven little girls sitting in the backseat with Fred
My head swimeth!LOL

Hmmmm. Am I missing something? Where do the other 5 girls come from?
Or are you remembering something from your past, Fred? snicker

Old January 9th 04, 05:00 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Joan Erickson had some very interesting
things to say about Mini LNS Rant:
Fred wrote:
I can see it all now - Seven little girls sitting in the backseat with Fred
My head swimeth!LOL

Hmmmm. Am I missing something? Where do the other 5 girls come from?
Or are you remembering something from your past, Fred? snicker

Do we *really* want to go there? :-)
Old January 9th 04, 05:39 PM
Olwynmary

Fred wrote:
I can see it all now - Seven little girls sitting in the backseat with

Fred
My head swimeth!LOL

Hmmmm. Am I missing something? Where do the other 5 girls come from?
Or are you remembering something from your past, Fred? snicker

Do we *really* want to go there? :-)

IIRC, it was a pop song back when I was a tiny child in England, and went
something like "Seven little girls, sittin' in the back seat, huggin' and
a-kissin' with Fred."

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

mini torch local exhaust ventilation [email protected] Jewelry 1 January 31st 05 01:43 AM
Mini Cole Jaws Chuck Doll Houses 4 March 14th 04 07:19 AM
OT - mini rant Cheryl Isaak Needlework 18 December 5th 03 03:13 PM
OT ~ question??? (rant enclosed) Mj Beads 11 August 26th 03 06:07 PM