What is on your list?

Old October 31st 04, 11:15 PM
spampot

Sue W wrote:
I bought some Denise needles last year after a thread on this ng mentioned
them. I find the joins stay together well. I had to emery the stamped size
markings on each tip since there were snaggy bits sticking up. If you like
your knitting to not slip off the needles when you're not looking, you'll
like these. I have since built up a collection of Addi Turbos and I much
prefer them to knit with, smooth, fast and fairly quiet in use. If you can
master the magic loop method, then you can manage without lots of different
lengths.

"Magic loop method"? What's that, please?! (Always interested in
managing without lots of different lengths!)

Another point - the Denise sizes don't all correspond to metric sizing, so
beware trying to mix them with other needles in the same project. Found this
out the hard way last year when knitting an aran weight sweater in the
round. It was getting hard work moving the stitches around (the cords are a
bit thick), so I went to change to a standard type circular only to discover
the sizes didn't match closely enough :-(

Old October 31st 04, 11:23 PM
Sue W

Hi Katherine,

I hope you do get some, I'm sure you'll be pleased with them.

--
Sue in East Anglia, UK

"Katherine" wrote in message
Thanks for the recommendation, Sue. If I can get some Addis next week,
they
will be in my Christmas box.

Katherine

Old November 1st 04, 01:36 PM
Sue W

Hi,
The magic loop is explained at www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html .It
seems to be most often used for socks, but works equally well for sleeves
and neckbands.
HTH,
Sue

--
Sue in East Anglia, UK

Old November 2nd 04, 09:59 PM
Tante Jan

"Janise Ross" wrote in message
Jan,
I just wanted to welcome you and invite you to become more active with
the group. Tell us more about yourself. I know the information that you
shared the Boye NeedleMaster will be well appreciated.

Janise

Thank you for the welcome. Here's a bit about me.

I'm a native of Minnesota, grew up on a farm in the Red River Valley and
have lived in St. Paul for many years. Since I'm single and retired, I'm
mostly free to do whatever pleases me. My favorite pastime is reading and
I'm a fan of libraries so I'm committed to a few hours each week doing
library volunteer work. Lately, I've been enjoying several new knitting
books which the library acquired this fall.

Since childhood, my hobbies have included many of the textile crafts. About
the only ones I haven't done are spinning and lace-making. In recent years,
I have been primarily sewing, knitting, crocheting and cross-stitching. I
was probably around 10 to 12 when I started to knit. I remember teaching
myself from a green Learn How Book which I still have. I'm not an impulsive
buyer so my stash of yarn is not great but I am better at starting than
finishing so I do have too many UFOs stored in bags and boxes.

One more thing to mention is that I love to travel. It's fun to read
everyone's posts about where they live as well as the yarn-related comments.

Jan

Old November 3rd 04, 01:18 AM
Els van Dam

In article ,
"Tante Jan" wrote:

[...]

Welcome Jan, I guess we have to interest you in kumihimo braiding, maybe
you are familiar with it already, let me know

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old November 3rd 04, 01:49 AM
Carol in TN

Welcome Jan,
So nice to "meet" you.
Carol in TN

Old November 3rd 04, 02:13 AM
Katherine

Tante Jan wrote:

Since childhood, my hobbies have included many of the textile crafts.
About the only ones I haven't done are spinning and lace-making. In
recent years, I have been primarily sewing, knitting, crocheting and
cross-stitching. I was probably around 10 to 12 when I started to
knit. I remember teaching myself from a green Learn How Book which I
still have. I'm not an impulsive buyer so my stash of yarn is not
great but I am better at starting than finishing so I do have too
many UFOs stored in bags and boxes.

Welcome, Jan. You'll fit right in, here. g

Katherine

Old November 3rd 04, 02:37 AM
NoraBalcer

Hi Jan,

I'm sorry I'm a little late in saying welcome to this great group. The cyber
gremlins have been playing with the newsgroups and I'm way behind. I'm another
person who loves to read, but don't hit the libraries as I worked in them for
over 30 years and have stayed away. LOL.

Nora
Old November 3rd 04, 02:34 PM
B Vaughan

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 21:59:23 GMT, "Tante Jan"
wrote:

...I
was probably around 10 to 12 when I started to knit. I remember teaching
myself from a green Learn How Book which I still have.

I think we learned from the same book, which I also still have. About
five years ago I pulled it out to learn how to crochet, which I now do
almost to the exclusion of knitting.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.