Money Order HELP

Old October 9th 04, 03:34 AM
Empress Beads

Default Money Order HELP

Need some advice on a Money Order. I have heard some of you say you have
gotten a fake money order. I am taking it to the bank tomorrow. But it
says on the front with a red stamp "This money order sold in blank with no
recourse". The dollar amount is printed on the front line, but not on the
side where you can place the dollar amount. Any ideas as to if this is
real??

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Amy
http://www.empressbeads.com

Old October 9th 04, 07:30 AM
Kalera Stratton

No clue, but definitely ask your bank about your concerns before you
present it. That way they can give it the hairy once-over, and even
perhaps give it special handling and call you if it doesn't check out,
rather than just try to deposit it in your account with the possibility
that it will be a fake and cost you fees.

And don't ship ANYTHING until you have confirmed with your bank that it
went through.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old October 10th 04, 12:30 AM
starlia

I would love to know the outcome. I haven't heard about fake money orders
although I'm sure there are some.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old October 10th 04, 04:41 PM
Peggy

I'm sure there are fake money orders. I once even got a fake Cashier's
Check. A couple of banker's have told me "that's impossible," but it turned
out that the guy who gave me the fake Cashier's Check was a personal friend
of the banker who wrote the check--without the guy having the funds in his
account to cover it (highly illegal)!

I learned a big lesson then: Any type of check can be a fake. I sure hope
your check is not fake, though, Amy...

Old October 11th 04, 12:37 AM
Kalera Stratton

Anything can be counterfeited.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old October 11th 04, 04:36 AM
Cheryl

I once even got a fake Cashier's
Check. A couple of banker's have told me "that's impossible,"

oh no -- it's not!!!

Friends of ours sold their MERCEDES to a person who claimed to be the
representative for a car dealership
and gave them a $55,000 cashier's check.... ten days later - the bank called
and said it was FAKE.

They were out the CAR and the money!

Lucky for them - the car insurance considered it "theft" of the car - and paid
them....
and the police actually found the guy - about a month later in Texas -- he had
beeing pulling this scam all over the US ... and had a barn full of cars (some
had already been sold - moved into the "chop trade)....

but yes - a cashier's check CAN be faked....
Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old October 11th 04, 01:20 PM
Peggy

My situation was similar, only I'd sold my house. Luckily the closing
attorney was NOT in cahoots with the buyer and his banker. We eventually
got the money, but would have gotten the house back had we not gotten our
money.

Old October 11th 04, 06:26 PM
Kalera Stratton

Whoa.

That must have been a terrifying situation, though... the whole
buying/selling/moving thing can be so precarious as it is.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old October 18th 04, 02:17 AM
Empress Beads

I couldn't find this post when I got back from the bank, but I had my bank
call the other bank. The other bank confirmed the number and that the funds
were there. I made sure the teller verified the amount of the money order
too. It was for eight dollars.

I felt more relieved. Neither my teller nor her boss had seen a stamp like
that.

Just letting you know. It was good.

Thanks
AMY