Can you help with decorating project?

Old August 8th 05, 04:03 PM
enigma

wrote in
:

Pogonip wrote:

Don't you think that knowing that they were loved and
secure meant a lot more than what material possessions
they had?

You betcha. In my experience living in a rather affluent
area of the country, it seems to me that the children who
get the most *things* have the highest tendency to be
spoiled brats.

especially if the 'things' are replacing actually paying
attention to the kid.
my 5 year old is an only child of an older parent (i'm 50. he
was born a month before my 46th birthday), an indulgent parent
(daddy) & the only grandchild of my parents. he used to have
lots of 'things', but *he* was the one who said he had too
much. he's been giving away many of his toys this summer &
requested only books for his birthday. he prefers to spend
time with us, or playing with his chickens. he says too many
toys makes it too hard to decide what to play with.
i'd like to think he's not much of a brat... at least not any
more than the average 5 year old.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old August 8th 05, 04:37 PM
CypSew

Your son sounds like a wonderful, very perceptive child. congratulations on
rearing him to be like that.
Emily

Old August 8th 05, 07:01 PM
Pogonip

enigma wrote:

especially if the 'things' are replacing actually paying
attention to the kid.
my 5 year old is an only child of an older parent (i'm 50. he
was born a month before my 46th birthday), an indulgent parent
(daddy) & the only grandchild of my parents. he used to have
lots of 'things', but *he* was the one who said he had too
much. he's been giving away many of his toys this summer &
requested only books for his birthday. he prefers to spend
time with us, or playing with his chickens. he says too many
toys makes it too hard to decide what to play with.
i'd like to think he's not much of a brat... at least not any
more than the average 5 year old.
lee

What a treasure! I'll bet that all of you talk with him and not at him,
too.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth
Old August 13th 05, 09:35 PM

BEI Design wrote:

shrug You called the children "spoiled brats". That looks to me to
be criticism of the *children*.

Our definitions must be different.

My dad flew for the airlines and we didn't get as much stuff as
a lot of kids I see today.

??? What does your Dad having flown for the airlines have to do with
anything?

Rich parents do not always equal spoiled brats for children.
Old August 13th 05, 10:41 PM
BEI Design

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply"
wrote in message ...
BEI Design wrote:

??? What does your Dad having flown for the airlines have to do
with anything?

Rich parents do not always equal spoiled brats for children.

Ah, I didn't realize airline pilots were included in the "rich" class.
;-)

Old August 13th 05, 11:14 PM
Pogonip

wrote in message ...

BEI Design wrote:

??? What does your Dad having flown for the airlines have to do
with anything?

Rich parents do not always equal spoiled brats for children.

Ah, I didn't realize airline pilots were included in the "rich" class.
;-)

Maybe not so much anymore, with airlines going belly-up right and left,
but back in the day......yes! They were as well off as any successful
lawyer or doctor, and that's rich in my accountant's book.

Old August 14th 05, 12:56 AM

BEI Design wrote:

Ah, I didn't realize airline pilots were included in the "rich" class.
;-)

They were in the 60s and 70s when I grew up, and he only had to log 72
hours of work a month to get that good pay. They started slashing pay
in the 80s and 90s. At one point my dad's salary was cut in half
between the elimination of a position that paid a premium and an
across-the-board percentage pay cut to everybody -- one was 20% and one
was 30%, I forget which. But that was after everybody was grown and
gone. I'm just glad he didn't see his beloved TWA go up in smoke.
Old August 20th 05, 03:09 AM
enigma

"CypSew" wrote in

:

Your son sounds like a wonderful, very perceptive child.
congratulations on rearing him to be like that.

late, i've been away
we've been having a lot of work done on our 190 year old house
this summer, trying to get it a bit more energy efficient.
Boo, my son, will talk to the workers. if they have children,
he goes & picks out a toy or two and asks them to take it to
thier kids "because i'm done using it now". it's very cute.
there is a fine line with only kids though. you don't want to
get in the habit of expecting too much or not enough.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old August 20th 05, 05:22 AM
Pat in Virginia

Your boy sounds charming. If it is any consolation ... parenting
always brings fine lines .... only kids, two-somes, big families,
whatever! Each child is his own self ... so every parent always
does a balancing act.
PAT, Mom of Two Wonderful (Grown, Thank Goodness!) Sons

enigma wrote:
late, i've been away
we've been having a lot of work done on our 190 year old house
this summer, trying to get it a bit more energy efficient.
Boo, my son, will talk to the workers. if they have children,
he goes & picks out a toy or two and asks them to take it to
thier kids "because i'm done using it now". it's very cute.
there is a fine line with only kids though. you don't want to
get in the habit of expecting too much or not enough.
lee

New Years Cast On Project Craftkitten (Darlene) Yarn 58 January 10th 05 08:14 PM
Hand quilting project? Sk8eraunt Quilting 23 July 5th 04 08:13 PM
Project planning Bungadora Beads 25 March 30th 04 08:12 AM
Limited Edition Needlepoint Project Available to Groups Napa Needlepoint Marketplace 0 December 16th 03 10:18 PM
My "New Wardrobe" Project Kari Yarn 0 October 1st 03 10:27 PM