White Kenmore... Good Deal?

Old October 18th 04, 02:38 AM
KittyG

Default White Kenmore... Good Deal?

Still on a search for a sewing machine...on the bright side it's upgrade
time.

Had my eye on a floor model New Home/Janome Memory Craft 4000 but didn't
move quick enough. Then I found this:

White Kenmore Computerized drop-in bobbin
167 built in/281 stitch functions plus alphabet on sale for $349.00

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ewing+Machines

The features sound almost the same as the Memory Craft 4000. Good deal, I
thought.

Then... I saw this:

White Kenmore Computerized drop-in bobbin
606 built-in/765 stitch functions with alphabet in three fonts, was on sale
for $599.00, now back to $699.00 although there is apparently a rebate which
includes 21 presser feet.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ewing+Machines

What I need is some advice. I wanted a machine with some decorative
stitches and an alphabet function for everyday use. Are these too good to
be true? (Sears verbally assured me there would be a 1-year warranty with
each, despite 90 days listed on the site and said that would be included
with the packaging). Does anyone have either model?

kitty in phx

--
Remove "s" and "i" in email to respond.
http://community.webshots.com/user/kittykatchee

Old October 18th 04, 03:11 AM
Maine-iac Rose

I have the Kenmore 19001, which is the embroidery/sewing machine, with 72
built in stitches. I have only used maybe 5 of those, but got to do allot
of embroidery. It also has the built in alphabet in 3 fonts and 3 sizes I
believe. Which I use the computer to do any lettering embroidery. Now mine
was allot more than what you said for those machine's, but sure it don't
have the embroidery feature.
Now the Kenmore's when it comes to the more intricate machines, like the one
you looked at, are made by New Home or Janome. My machine is very similar
to the Janome 5700, just the outside looks different. But that is what
sears have been doing for many years.
But now 6 months prior to getting my 19001, I had the 19000 which gave me a
problem, they sent it to Massachusetts, it got back, they couldn't find
anything wrong. I took it home, it did the same, so brought it back and was
frustrated that I had to bring it back a second time, that I almost pounded
it on top the counter, but this is also a heavy machine. They sent it back.
About a week later, I get a call from the service center, telling me that it
would be 6 weeks before getting my machine back. They had to order parts
from Japan I think they said, and that the parts had to sit in customs for 4
weeks before they could get it. Well I mentioned that the sales receipt
said "satisfaction guarantee or your money back", and told him that I wanted
a new machine or my money back. This lady that was listening in on that
conversation called me back trying to get me to wait for the parts to get
there. I asked her if she sews, she said NO, so I explained that I was not
going to wait a month and a half for parts for my $1600 machine to be fixed,
my money back or a new machine. She told me that she would call me back to
find a store that had the machine, I told her which store to call, because I
knew they had that machine in the store, and I wouldn't have to wait. So
one good thing, sears is behind their satisfaction guarantee.
Why not ask the clerk in the store to do some of the alphabet or stitches
for you to see it.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns to email me
http://community.webshots.com/user/maineiacrose

Old October 20th 04, 03:33 AM
KittyG

Hi Rose.

Apparently these are models sold online only, you can order one to be
delivered to a store in your area and then have a look when you pick it up.
They say it's how they keep the costs down. I just had a hard time
believing that many features were available for those prices and wanted some
feedback. It's good to know they follow thru on customer service if there
is a problem.

kitty in phx
--

"Maine-iac Rose" wrote in message
I have the Kenmore 19001, which is the embroidery/sewing machine, with 72
built in stitches...snip

Good LQS service Ellison Quilting 1 April 29th 04 09:06 PM
Good deal at TSWLTH Mika Quilting 10 January 19th 04 07:19 PM
White SMs on sale at Joann's? Any good? Cina Quilting 11 January 5th 04 03:50 AM
good vs bad white gold HurricaneMB Jewelry 2 December 31st 03 11:07 PM