Local Quilt Show

Old September 4th 04, 07:42 PM
teleflora

Default Local Quilt Show

As a new member of the local quilt guild, I get to participate this weekend
in the annual Quilt Show. On Friday morning at 8 AM, I walked into the
basement of the local municipal auditorium that was totally empty. At 5 PM
I walked out of ...a Quilt Show! Almost 200 entries, unpacked, judged and
hung for viewing. Vendors settled in around the perimeter. The traveling
Hoffman Challenge exhibit arranged in a prominent place. I had so much fun.
You could tell I was new. I oo'd and aw'd at every quilt. The old timers
were more like, "just get on with it, you can gawk at the stitching later!"
And they were right, but it was like Christmas to me. I got to see each
entry up close and personal. I got to hang the label on the quilts.

The judges were fantastic. I wandered into the judging room ever so often
and I was amazed at how they gave the last quilt the same attention they had
given the first quilt almost 7 hours before. I wish I could have just sat
in a corner of that room all day. I would have learned a lot.

Most of the afternoon, we were serenaded by the rehearsal of a rock band
that performed in the auditorium that night. I'm told they were very good.
Even with the excellent soundproofing at the facility, some of the louder
music made it's way downstairs.

I went in for a little while today and will go back tomorrow. Monday, we
tear it down.

I'm exhausted and I only did a little. The organizers, some of them a lot
older than me, have to be comatose.

Let's see if taking down a quilt show is as much fun as putting one up!

Cindy

Old September 4th 04, 08:14 PM
MoragP

Where is this quilt show?
My DH's new hobby is driving me to quilt shows. Especially shows that also have
classes. He really seems to enjoy it!

So, everybody, tell me about YOUR quilt show. I'll make a list and maybe see
you there. It's so lovely to be retired.

Morag in Detroit
Old September 4th 04, 08:54 PM
teleflora

"MoragP" wrote in message
Where is this quilt show?
My DH's new hobby is driving me to quilt shows. Especially shows that also

have
classes. He really seems to enjoy it!

So, everybody, tell me about YOUR quilt show. I'll make a list and maybe

see
you there. It's so lovely to be retired.

Morag in Detroit

Morag, if you leave right now, you can make it. It's in SE Kansas. And if
you can't make it this year, plan for next year. It is held over Labor Day
weekend every year and it is part of Little Balkan Days.

Cindy

Cindy

Old September 4th 04, 09:04 PM
merrystitch

Morag
this isn't a very big show, but it's only a couple hours south of you. I
have just recently joined the Stitch-n-Time Quilt Club, so I don't know much
about the show. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go cause I'll be in San
Jose, Costa Rica that day--business meetings the next 3 days. I do know
there are lots of great quilters in our area.

Merrystitch
Quilt Show at Litzenberg Woods
Sunday, September 12th, 1 - 4 pm, Litzenberg Memorial Woods Park: 6100 US
224 West of Findlay. Quilt displays and demonstrations by Findlay area quilt
clubs: The Ohio Star Quilters, Stitch-n-Time and the Country Quilters. Local
quilt, fabric and sewing supply stores: Forever In Stitches, The Ohio
Farmhouse, Sew Nice, and Crooked Needle will be featured in the Activity
Barn. Visit the workshop where you'll find wood joinery demonstrated by the
settlement carpenter. The 1857 Historic McKinnis House will also be open.

Litzenberg Memorial Woods features:

· McKinnis House, Pioneer farmstead, historic site

· Reconstructed Barn, kitchen, restrooms, water. Available for
rentals

· Shelter House, Available for rentals with playground nearby

· Three loop trails for all seasons (Meadow Loop, Kiwanis Loop,
Backwoods Loop)

· Ability Adventure Trail, paved and fully accessible trail that
extends from the gatehouse to the Sertoma Scenic Overlook.

· Natural Areas, woods, wetlands, meadow/prairie?

Old September 5th 04, 04:34 AM
Pati Cook

The Arizona Quilter's Guild show is in March, here in Phoenix. Tucson has a big
show in January. And the Phoenix Area Quilter's Association has a small show that
runs from the second weekend of January through mid-March.
There are also guild chapter shows several times during the year, all over the
central and northern parts of Arizona.

Pati, in PHx

Old September 5th 04, 05:34 AM
BarbQuilts

Good for him (and you)! Mark you calendar to come down to the northern
Atlanta suburbs (Marietta) next September (16, 17, 18) for the East Cobb
Quilters' Guild show. The Venue is just off I-75. We usually have at least
400 quilts which includes the juried/judged Quilt Show and the challenge
quilts from 2 years. At least 15-20 vendors and a great raffle quilt. It's
a very big show with a lot of talent showcased.

There is some Show info on the guild website (http://www.ecqg.com) now, but
more will appear early next year.

--
BarbQuilts
take out the Cat to reply

Old September 5th 04, 05:38 AM
maryd

Emerald Valley Quilters present
"Quilter's Odyssey"
October 2-3, Eugene, OR
Saturday hours: 10 am - 6 pm
Sunday hours:10 am - 4 pm
Admission: $5
Featured Quilter: Virginia Iverson
Ten different demonstrations throughout the two days Fashion
Show
Saturday 2 pm
Small Quilt Auction Sunday 1 pm
Vendors Mall
Lane County Fairgrounds Performance Hall
796 W. 13th Avenue
Eugene, OR Quilt show in Eugene Oregon

--
Mary