What are the largest pots you've thrown?

Old December 12th 04, 08:39 AM
sam

Default What are the largest pots you've thrown?

My largest pot was a bowl I threw about two weeks ago. I started off
with 25lbs of clay, centered it and in the end I had a bowl with a
diameter of 20.5in and a heigth of about 11in. When the bowl was ready
leather-hard I ended up trimming 8.5lbs of clay from it, which made me
realize I probably could have thrown something much larger.

As far as tall pots are concerned I regularly throw vases 14-15in tall,
but haven't gotten past that point yet. So who about you folks, what
are the largest pots you've thrown?

Old December 12th 04, 03:35 PM
Deborah M Riel

In article .com,
sam wrote:
My largest pot was a bowl I threw about two weeks ago. I started off
with 25lbs of clay, centered it and in the end I had a bowl with a
diameter of 20.5in and a heigth of about 11in. When the bowl was ready
leather-hard I ended up trimming 8.5lbs of clay from it, which made me
realize I probably could have thrown something much larger.

Maybe so, but don't forget a large bowl needs a sturdy base while
you're throwing it. If you don't leave enough at the base of the
wheel, the sides may collapse from the weight of the top of the bowl.
Better to trim than to have to discard the whole thing.

As far as tall pots are concerned I regularly throw vases 14-15in tall,
but haven't gotten past that point yet. So who about you folks, what
are the largest pots you've thrown?

I'm more of a medium pot thrower than a large pot thrower. My largest
pieces are some of my flameware pots: a tagine that's 12 in. in
diameter (not including handles) and, with the conical top, 12 in. in height.
I also threw a 12 in. wok, and a 12 in. platter. I guess a foot is as
big as it gets for me.

Deb R.

Old December 12th 04, 04:35 PM
Slgraber

32 inch bowl from around 15 pounds. when dry it reached JUST less then the 28
inches i needed to get it into my electric kiln. once at cone 10 it was around
26 inches... hard to explain to people how much clay shrinks... and my
stretching from the inside only seems to expand clay further then the cook book
shrink rates...

i often do "arm pit" cylinders, and shaping the vases shortens the height to
maybe my elbow. i haven't done the cylinder on cylinder technique enough to
get much worthwhile yet.

see ya

steve

Subject: What are the largest pots you've thrown?

Old December 12th 04, 07:40 PM
annemarie

"Slgraber" wrote in message
32 inch bowl from around 15 pounds. when dry it reached JUST less then
the 28
inches i needed to get it into my electric kiln. once at cone 10 it was
around
26 inches... hard to explain to people how much clay shrinks... and my
stretching from the inside only seems to expand clay further then the cook
book
shrink rates...

i often do "arm pit" cylinders, and shaping the vases shortens the height
maybe my elbow. i haven't done the cylinder on cylinder technique enough
get much worthwhile yet.

see ya

steve

I can only throw about 10 pounds. Making big tagines was a challenge and
fun. Must do more. I do enjoy stretching myself at times, but more to do
with what I can do with up to ten pounds of clay. I don't want to strain
myself by trying to centre more. One day I will master the coil throw
technique. I have joined two thrown pieces to make a base for a bird bath.
Big is not really my aim though.

Old December 13th 04, 01:29 AM
sam

You are certainly correct Deb, a large bowl does need a sturdy base
especially during throwing. I may have been able to thrown the bowl a
little larger but I may also have risked losing it. =)

I'm also more of a medium pot thrower myself, but recently I've
challenged myself to throw larger pots. Working with more clay is a
good test of skill and I've appreciated what I've learnned from the
experience. Furthermore, people really seem to like large bowls around
12-18in diameter.

Old December 13th 04, 01:32 AM
sam

A 32 inch bowl from 15 lbs is remarkable, well done. Would like to see
a photograph of a bowl like that some time.

As far as how much clay shrinks, we typically estimate that it is
around 14%.

Old December 16th 04, 02:22 PM
f/256

"Stephanie Coleman" wrote in message
Can pictures be posted in this newsgroup? I'd love to see both your
tangines and your bridbath!

Pictures could be posted to alt.binaries.crafts and then post a this NG to
let people here know. When posting the image(s), start the subject of the
post with the word POTTERY so the message is easy to identify.

Old December 16th 04, 05:11 PM
jedi

That is nice to know. Thank you. Do you know what the size of the files
should be limited to?

Old December 16th 04, 06:14 PM
f/256

"jedi" wrote in message
That is nice to know. Thank you. Do you know what the size of the files
should be limited to?

I don't think there is a limit per se.

Having said that: They shouldn't be too large, BTW, you can have 2 images
having the same physical size (pixel size) and one being larger in kilobytes
than the other. The larger the images in Kilobytes the less likely people
would be willing to download them and see them, I'd limit the images to no
larger than 150K. Another aspect is how large in pixels they are, some
people post images that in order to see them you have to scroll down/up and
left/right, I'd limit the image to no more than 700 pixels high and 700
wide.

I just posted an image at "alt.binaries.crafts", its subject is "POTTERY:
test image"

BTW, the image is not that of a ceramic object, I am not potter yet, but
hope to be in the near future.

Guillermo

Throwing of big pots like planters on the wheel (Cameron Lithgow ?) Gap Pottery 2 September 15th 04 01:54 PM
I craft piss pots ! Tom-Alex Soorhull Pottery 2 May 16th 04 02:37 PM
signing pots sandi Pottery 7 April 13th 04 10:34 AM
sweating pots Janet Unruh Pottery 8 September 23rd 03 05:19 PM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM