Messy message

Old July 7th 03, 03:25 AM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

Default Messy message

I think I am gonna stay outside of this mess 'cash-or-not'.
Instead of that...I have something to ask. Or
confirm...however you see it. You see, the situation is
this:

I have a pattern. Now I have done the cast on, knitted the 2
knit 2 purl - part and then changed the needles. Then I have
done some stockinette. It should be enough now (at least if
my measuring is there for me...it should be OK.). Now I
should make some bind-offing...(*hopes the term is
right*)...and the pattern says I should bind off 8 stitches.
After 8 stitches are gone, there should be 64 stitches left.
That is what pattern says. If my poor math skills are right,
the only way to get this situation is this: First I bind off
4 stitches from another side. Then I knit across untill
there is 4 stitches left on another side. Then I knit those
4 stitches together. Is this right thing to do? If not, tell
me EXACTLY stitch by stitch what to do in this situation.
Best: Pirjo, who is rather sure your help is gonna be needed
in the future....

Old July 7th 03, 06:54 PM
Allaya Diep

Hi Pirjo!

From my experience, unless the pattern specifically says to bind off 4
stitches on each end, you bind them off all at once. My guess is that the
directions for the next row tell you to bind off 8 more stitches (is that
right?). Can you post the next line from the directions?

Anyway, follow the directions exactly. In this case, bind off 8 stitches
first, and then knit the rest of the way, all the way to the end. The
number of stitches you should have left on your needle to knit at this point
should be 64, like the pattern says.

What are you working on? Is this pattern for a sweater and you're working
on the shoulders?]

Allaya

Old July 7th 03, 07:08 PM
NoraBalcer

Pirjo,

Does your pattern say bind off 4 stitches at the beginning of the row? If so
you bind off 4 on the knit row, and 4 on the purl row.
No, when you bind off, you do it first on the knit row, then at the beginning
of the purl row, not at the end of the knit row. Hope this helps, if not, let
me know.

Hugs,

Aunt Nora