OT Tripping Chipmunks

Old August 22nd 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Tripping Chipmunks

We have a family of chipmunks living under the siding at the front of
the house. At least that is where we assume they are living since
that is where they zip off to when we disturb them on our front porch.

We have been watching them for a couple of months now. You can see
them almost every morning on our front porch eating and collecting
seeds.
The seeds they are collecting are from the morning glory vines that
almost cover the front of the porch from ground to roof. They love
those seeds. DH put a spoon of peanut butter out for them,
and they totally ignored it in favor of morning glory seeds.

A little bit of research and questioning of science minded persons
has led us to conclude that the furry little whackos are probably
tripping their wee rodent brains out. Their internal chemistry is
not that disimilar from a lab rat's, i.e. close enough to a human's
that they have probably been on a long strange trip all summer.

I told DH that instead of putting out peanut butter he should have
run speakers and played the Grateful Dead for them. Maybe put out
some little psychedelic posters and a teeny black light.

NightMist
working on figuring out how to get them out from under the siding
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old August 22nd 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

We have chipmunks running amok in our yard. The only deterent is a nice cat
or chipmunk chasing dog! Since our dog died the chipmunk have taken over
and we choose not to have cats with our aviary, we've learned to live with
the chipmunks. On several occasions we watched them run up our neighbors
downspouts! They spend a great deal of time under the rocks around our
waterfall and store seeds from the birdfeeders there.
I even painted two in my downstairs powderroom, when guests visit they often
say they'd like to visit the chipmunks!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 22nd 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

LOL! And very interesting. Thought morning glories were outright poisonous.
It's very impressive that they can be that high and still find théir holes!
Maybe spraying the inside of the hole with something strong will help, so it
doesn't smell like home to them? (lavender oil, cinnamon, garlic)
Roberta in D

Old August 23rd 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Nah.
It's just that for years they coated the seeds that were sold with
mercury compounds so that loadies wouldn't eat them.
They contain Lysergic Acid Amide, which you could derive LSD from much
more easily and safely than you could make meth from cold medicine.
Druggies have been growing the flowers for the seeds for decades, but
a human would have to eat lots and lots of them. The phrase 'bilious
beanbag' has been used to describe how one would feel after ingesting
that many seeds. The chipmunks are much much smaller than people, and
though they have a faster metabolism, would still need many fewer
seeds per ounce of body weight than a human in order to get the
effect. Our little furry family seems to be living on them, and yes I
have seen them actually fall off the porch railing. (G)
The most popular varieties, Heavenly Blues and Pearly Gates, are
supposed to have the highest concentration of the compound in them. I
have those out front, as well as Scarlet O'Hara, Grandpa Ott, and
Moonflowers. I think they have crossbred because I am getting some
pastel shades and varicoloreds this year.

NightMist

Old August 24th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

and Morning Glories are illegal in Arizona. Have been for years and
years. Something to do with the effect of the vines on cotton
harvesting equipment. G

Pati, in Phx