Walker totes

Old May 19th 05, 09:19 PM
frood

Default Walker totes

Anybody have links to free patterns for a tote that attaches to a walker?
The faster and easier, the better!

--
Wendy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Old May 19th 05, 09:34 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Try these sites:
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/seniors.html#totes
https://www.nancysnotions.com/NNVia/...alkercaddy.htm
http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/ec_walker.html
http://www.charitablecrafters.org/sewing.htm

The first and the last are lists of links. The other two go directly to
patterns.

HTH
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

news

Old May 20th 05, 03:45 AM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

For three years prior to my hip replacement and six weeks afterwards, I
used a walker almost constantly. I made a wide "pocket" about 8 inches
deep, turned and topstitched the top edge over, and stitched to divide
it off into sections- one end for a water bottle, one middle section
for "things" (like doggie treats!) that was wider and one with a flap
with Velcro on the other end for my wallet and checkbook. It was easy.
I used a heavier fabric- almost an upholstery weight. I had 4 one
inch wide "flaps"- one on each end and one on each side of the middle
section- that I pinned over the top horizontal bar of the walker.
Because of the way my walker collapsed for transporting in my vehicle,
pinned flaps worked best for me. I recently used the walker again for
a week with a sprained ankle and couldn't find my tote- I sure missed
it!

How kind of you to help someone out with a walker tote. Good luck with
your project!

Leslie

Old May 20th 05, 11:45 AM
frood

Thanks for the info. It's for my mom - I guess I'll wait to see what type of
walker she has before I make one. But now I have ideas on how to get
started!

--
Wendy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
de-fang email address to reply

ups.com...

Old May 20th 05, 12:19 PM
Tina

When mom fell and completely tore up her leg and dislocated her patella
last year, she had extensive surgery to repair the damage and was on a
walker for about six months. We are talking about Ms. Independence of
the Year here! I wasn't sewing at the time and she was off and going
everywhere with that darn walker. I couldn't get her to keep her
mobile phone on her and it made me crazy. She kept complaining that
the belt clip didn't hold well enough and she couldn't carry the phone
and push the walker.

I went to Home Depot and bought two of those carpenters pouches. I
went straight over to her house and tied them, back to back, across the
front bar of the walker. This way she had pockets on both sides to
carry her mobile phone, cell phone, water, book, house keys, etc. She
loved it and it worked great. They only cost about $1 each and no
sewing involved. Immediate remedy!

Now that she is active again - she wears the carpenters pouch out in
the yard when she gardens (another place she tended to forget to take
her mobile phone!) and keeps the phone in a pocket, her water bottle,
house keys and gardening supplies!

Hugs,
Tina

Old May 20th 05, 12:25 PM
Tina

Another trick I learned while mom was using the walker......

I bought her a t.v. tray at Tuesday Morning. It took some searching,
but I found one that was the perfect size to "sit" across the top two
bars of the walker. This way, when she warmed up a dinner in the
microwave or got a cup of coffee - she could sit it on the tray and
carry it to the table. This week, she used the tray for her Bunko
party! LOL

Good luck,
Tina

Old May 20th 05, 01:32 PM
Susan Laity Price

Thanks for the idea of the carpenters pouches. I was trying to think
how I could use this walker bag idea for a craft project at the
nursing home. Think I will buy the bags and have the women decorate
them instead of trying to sew during our craft time. More women are
able to decorate than sew. This way everyone can be involved.

I plan to purchase one first and try it on their walkers and
wheelchairs before I announce this as a project. It is funny how these
folks that can't remember much at all can never forget if I promise to
help them make something and then time runs out and we don't get to
that project. Two months later they are still asking about the project
we didn't get made.

Susan

Old May 20th 05, 02:53 PM
Tina

Susan, one thing I would do if I had it to do over again.....

because I used two bags, so mom had more pockets - I would have sewn
Velcro strips or dots to the back sides of the bags, before I tied them
to the two crossbars. This way, when she put things in the pockets,
the bags wouldn't have "sagged" so much.

And I think, considering the thickness and stability of the canvas they
are made from, they would be difficult to "sew" on, but would withstand
hot gluing very well!

just an additional thought

Tina

Old May 21st 05, 05:41 AM
Susan Laity Price

Thanks for the tips. I am thinking of markers. I am hoping that the
logo is only on one side. We can call that side the back and decorate
the plain side.

Susan

On 20 May 2005 06:53:32 -0700, "Tina" wrote:

Susan, one thing I would do if I had it to do over again.....

because I used two bags, so mom had more pockets - I would have sewn
Velcro strips or dots to the back sides of the bags, before I tied them
to the two crossbars. This way, when she put things in the pockets,
the bags wouldn't have "sagged" so much.

And I think, considering the thickness and stability of the canvas they
are made from, they would be difficult to "sew" on, but would withstand
hot gluing very well!

just an additional thought

Tina

Thank You From Janet Walker Janet Walker Quilting 15 May 7th 04 01:57 AM
Tapestry & Knitting Bags, Totes & Needle Cases Accessories by Bettz Designs Marketplace 1 March 8th 04 11:22 AM
Walker Pug Mill Jesse Pottery 0 December 22nd 03 05:16 PM
punches, punch totes, and supply totes... ElsScraps Rubberstamps 0 November 23rd 03 05:08 PM
punches, punch totes, and supply totes... ElsScraps General Crafting 0 November 23rd 03 05:07 PM