kato clay question

Old November 27th 04, 05:29 PM
Carla

Default kato clay question

Yesterday, I picked up my first package of Kato polyclay. I know it
comes highly recommended. When I opened the package, I was struck by
the *very* strong odor from it. I worked with it for a bit (easy to
knead right out of the wrapping) and started shaping some beads, but the
smell started to make me kind of headachey. I ended up sealing it in a
baggie and tossing it out; and it took several attempts (one with baking
soda) to get the odor off my hands.

Has anyone else experienced this, or did I get a bad batch? Or what's
different about it from Premo and Sculpey III (or even Fimo, that I
don't use much anyway) that would make the odor so much stronger?

Cheers,
Carla

Old November 27th 04, 05:41 PM
Georgia

Some people perceive the odor/fragrance of Kato clay more strongly than
others.
I have never heard of anyone getting sick from it. Personally, I don't
notice it. (Which just goes to show you it's a personal chemistry kind of
thing, because I can detect ambient odors in very low concentrations.)

Georgia

ink.net...

Old November 27th 04, 09:19 PM
E J Ralph

I too find the odour too strong to work with - which is odd as I have
practically no sense of smell anyway due to allergy damage - just Kato
is one of the few smells that does manage to register and very
strongly.

Its a pity because the workability of the clay is lovely, just I find
the smell and the sheen it has when baked two off-putting factors for
me. I probably will try it again though, because there are many other
things I like about working with it and I might be able to work around
the things I dont like. Just I think Van Aken would do well to address
the strong smell as I do know of quite a few people who simply cannot
tolerate the smell long enough to use the clay. You are definitely not
alone in this.

Emma

Old November 28th 04, 01:35 AM
DianeGlassAttic

I'd heard about the vinyl doll smell of Kato clay and was sure it would be a
problem for me because I'm very sensitive to smells.

However, I worked with some of it at a (Donna Kato) class and others around me
were also working with it a lot, and I hardly smelled it at all after opening
the package. Other people have said that the odor dissipates in the air, so
perhaps you could let it sit open somewhere for awhile??

Here's some more info on the Kato clay odor from my website:

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````
And did I mention the smell ????? ....Kellie told me that there is a new
formula in the works (if not already out there) that is much less "aromatic"...
Karen O.

(June 2004).... we conditioned and worked with about a Kazillion pounds of clay
in a fairly small room this weekend and I never noticed an odor. Linda in VA

I was one who at first did like the smell, but with later samples, I did not
notice the smell anymore. I agree with (was it Julie?? Or Tara??) the PCPer who
said it smells somewhat like a new doll. Dianne C

....The first smell reminded me of 1st grade art class....that new plastic smell
.. . or like glue
....the clay has a rather sweet smell. Dotty
....I rather like the smell. It reminds me of a new doll. We each smell
things differently ..but it's not offensive to me at all! Jan
....reminds me of a plastic shower curtain liner, but doesn't bother me. Emily
N.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````

Diane B.
http://www.glassattic.com ...... polymer clay "encyclopedia"

....if sending me e-mail, DO NOT USE THIS AOL address (or I may never see it!)
Use this address instead:

..
Old November 28th 04, 09:05 PM
Carla

Interesting that you mention the doll smell - I remembered a doll I got
as a child, that came in a can and when I opened the can, the odor made
me queasy.

Yeah, the clay was kinda like that.

I keep my finished stuff all together in one box, and when I open the
box, the clay smell is pretty strong, but it's a totally different odor
than what I got with the Katoclay.

If I try it again, I'll have to leave it in the basement or something
for awhile before I try it...and probably use latex gloves

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Carla

.

Old November 28th 04, 09:06 PM
Carla

I had been looking forward to the sheen. I'd heard about that and it
was one of the reasons I wanted to try it. I really liked that it was
so easy to work right out of the pack.

Cheers,
Carla

Old November 28th 04, 09:23 PM
E J Ralph

I am sure for many, the sheen is a great bonus - just it didn't suit
what I wanted to do. But that isnt to say it is a bad thing - just a
question of tastes.

Emma

Old December 4th 04, 12:48 AM
Dawn Stubitsch

If I'm doing a figure the sheen of Kato Clay is not desirable for the skin..
(does nicely for the hair) When I mix Premo with it I get the matte finish
of the Premo. You can also eliminate the sheen with a coat of TLS.
Dawn Stubitsch
Thumbprint Kids Custom Cake Toppers and Figurines
http://www.thumbprintkids.com

wrote:

I had been looking forward to the sheen. I'd heard about that and it
was one of the reasons I wanted to try it. I really liked that it was
so easy to work right out of the pack.

Cheers,
Carla

question about hand lotions & polymer clay Marissa Undercofler Polymer Clay 12 November 5th 04 07:02 PM
Polymer Clay Question Marissa Undercofler Beads 11 October 26th 04 07:54 AM
Kato clay... Louise Polymer Clay 4 November 18th 03 11:37 PM
newbe question about clay safety Deb :> Polymer Clay 1 October 8th 03 04:08 PM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM