Charm Ringie Thingies

Old January 19th 05, 03:01 AM
realitynirvana

Default Charm Ringie Thingies

Hi Group

I am trying to find a relatively pain free and easy way to attach charms to
a bracelet. I can't solder and would not know where to begin, I've got split
rings but they gape a bit and so not so keen in case I lose one, is there
anything like silver locking rings, preferably not too expensive.

Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

R*n

Old January 19th 05, 05:37 AM
~Candace~

The first thing that comes to mind is to wire wrap each charm onto a
headpin. Gee, could that be because I spent a few hours this evening wiring
poppy jasper chips onto headpins?

~Candace~

Old January 19th 05, 08:51 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "~Candace~"
:

]The first thing that comes to mind is to wire wrap each charm onto a
]headpin. Gee, could that be because I spent a few hours this evening wiring
]poppy jasper chips onto headpins?

hey, Candace!
if you don't want to solder a jumpring closed, wire-wrapping is
probably the next-best thing.
i actually HAVE seen locking jumprings, but if i remember correctly,
they were incredibly expensive. now i can't remember which catalog
they were in. Sutller? Rio?

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
Old January 19th 05, 04:22 PM
realitynirvana

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "~Candace~"
:

]The first thing that comes to mind is to wire wrap each charm onto a
]headpin. Gee, could that be because I spent a few hours this evening
wiring
]poppy jasper chips onto headpins?

hey, Candace!
if you don't want to solder a jumpring closed, wire-wrapping is
probably the next-best thing.
i actually HAVE seen locking jumprings, but if i remember correctly,
they were incredibly expensive. now i can't remember which catalog
they were in. Sutller? Rio?

If looked at link locks and the cheapest is $1.60, a bit preferable than $10
a jeweller would charge me.

What is wire wrapping??????

Best Wishes

Old January 19th 05, 04:22 PM
~Candace~

hey there Vj I can imagine not too many folks would want to spend more
money on the locking rings than they did on the actual charms themselves.
This is a definite plug for wire wrapping onto headpins

~Candace~

Old January 20th 05, 05:40 AM
~Candace~

Wire wrapping such as what we're talking about here is simple. Using a
small metal pin, called a head pin, you slide the charm on to it and form a
loop at the top of the pin, wrapping the end in a coil around itself beneath
the loop. You can google headpin, or wire wrapping to see examples. Many
pendants are made in this way, especially by beaders such as myself. It is
also a good way to attach charms or beads to bracelets.

~Candace~

Old January 20th 05, 05:40 AM
William Black

"realitynirvana" wrote in message
Hi Group

I am trying to find a relatively pain free and easy way to attach charms

a bracelet. I can't solder and would not know where to begin, I've got

split
rings but they gape a bit and so not so keen in case I lose one, is there
anything like silver locking rings, preferably not too expensive.

You don't say where you are.

In the UK you can buy silver 'jump rings' with a sleeve that you can crimp
closed with pliers.

They're not cheap, but they're cheaper than paying someone.

--
William Black

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
Barbeques on fire by chalets past the headland
I've watched the gift shops glitter in the darkness off Newborough
All this will pass like ice-cream on the beach
Time for tea

Old January 20th 05, 05:40 AM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "realitynirvana"
:

]What is wire wrapping??????

http://www.wigjig.com/beginner.htm

they do it with a "wig jig".
i do it with pliers.

Old January 21st 05, 07:44 AM
Armand Vine

realitynirvana wrote:
"vj" wrote in message

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "~Candace~"
:

]The first thing that comes to mind is to wire wrap each charm onto a
]headpin. Gee, could that be because I spent a few hours this evening
wiring
]poppy jasper chips onto headpins?

hey, Candace!
if you don't want to solder a jumpring closed, wire-wrapping is
probably the next-best thing.
i actually HAVE seen locking jumprings, but if i remember correctly,
they were incredibly expensive. now i can't remember which catalog
they were in. Sutller? Rio?

VIA MURANO is who has them

Old January 21st 05, 04:29 PM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from Armand Vine
:

]VIA MURANO is who has them

hi, Armand!
i've never seen that catalog to my knowledge, tho.
i'll run across them again sometime. i have a feeling it was Stuller.
and when i saw the price on them i choked.

Tina will be here on the 29/30th.
Annie may drive down from Redding.
at some point, there will be a tour of the lab.
interested????