Sewing without a serger

Old June 3rd 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Brenna23

Default Sewing without a serger

Just recently my serger broke and I haven't gotten around to fixing it
with superglue. Anyways, what are some good ways to bind the seams or
cover them so that they aren't exposed on the inside?

Also, what is couture sewing?

Brenna
Old June 3rd 08, 07:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Brenna23 wrote:
Just recently my serger broke and I haven't gotten around to fixing it
with superglue. Anyways, what are some good ways to bind the seams or
cover them so that they aren't exposed on the inside?

Also, what is couture sewing?

Brenna

Here are some easy finishes for seams:
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co...._finishing.htm

This will tell you a little more about the term couture, and what Haute
Couture really means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haute_couture

To discover some more about the whole idea and the sewing techniques
used, you could go a long way and do worse than invest in this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/09...pt#reader-link

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old June 3rd 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Taria

If you have a newer sewing machine (maybe 20 yo) a lot of them have
stretch stitches on them that will work pretty well for you.

My old Bernette serger went out last year and I was shocked at how
inexpensive sergers have gotten. I replaced it with a $300 serger
that is really quite servicible and a lot more user friendly.
Taria

Old June 27th 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

On Jun 3, 2:27*am, Brenna23 wrote:
Just recently my serger broke and I haven't gotten around to fixing it
with superglue. Anyways, what are some good ways to bind the seams or
cover them so that they aren't exposed on the inside?

Also, what is couture sewing?

Brenna

Easiest thing would probably be a zig-zag stitch. If you have the
patience for 'couture', then you can sew it by hand. I think you can
combine - zig zag on the (more) inner parts, and bind it by hand where
it might be seen.
Old July 19th 08, 05:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

On Jun 3, 2:27*am, Brenna23 wrote:
Just recently my serger broke and I haven't gotten around to fixing it
with superglue. Anyways, what are some good ways to bind the seams or
cover them so that they aren't exposed on the inside?

Also, what is couture sewing?

Brenna

I never had a Serger . I use the zigag with the 4 steps each side ,for
many finnishes ,
Couture is Elegant High Quality attention to each deatil sewing ,,,
mirjam
Old July 20th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:27:14 -0700 (PDT), Brenna23
wrote:

Anyways, what are some good ways to bind the seams or
cover them so that they aren't exposed on the inside?

Seams in non-fraying fabrics often don't need covering.

Pinking may be sufficient.

I use pre-graded flat-fell seams a lot.
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/...T/ROUGH009.TXT
Use "find" to jump down to "An easier way to make a flat-felled
seam:". If your browser mushes everything into one paragraph, click

(Looks as though this file needs a thorough editing as soon as I'm
done with "bags".)

French seams are good on fine fabrics, and places where you don't mind
a ridge inside the garment. Very narrow french seams are often used
on sheer fabrics.

On thick, heavy fabrics, a hong-kong binding is good. I've used it
only on things that are afterward sewn down -- for the top layer of
the mock-felled seams in my wool pants, for example -- but I first
heard of it as a finish for seams that are pressed open.

You take a strip of plain bias tape with no folds pressed in -- though
I wouldn't bother to iron the folds out of commercial tape. (Well I
don't *think* I would; I haven't used commercial tape in twenty or
thirty years.)

Match one raw edge of the tape to the edge to be finished and sew a
quarter inch from the edge. Make a narrower seam if you want a
daintier finish, a wider one if the fabric is very thick. Wrap the
tape over the edge to the back, then stitch in the ditch to make it
stay wrapped.

I'm now making a purse where I simply ran a line of straight stitching
near each raw edge before sewing the purse together. Most of these
edges were torn, so I get a fringed effect.

I've heard of turning under a quarter inch of the raw edge, then
straight-stitching to make it stay folded, but this strikes me as
clumsy, and I've never done it.

If the edge is to be cut along a drawn thread, you can zig-zag before
cutting for a very neat and flat finish. Let the zigs pierce the
fabric and the zags fall into the space where the thread has been
withdrawn.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing
Old July 30th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

On my [soft] cotton shirts i always stitch the shoulder seam [inside]
than lay it flat and zigzag it to the bodice ,, it sits well and is
neatly finnished ,,
mirjam