Knitting needles

Old January 25th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Knitting needles

Hi
Does anyone have any opinions about bamboo needles? I've always used
aluminum and I'm wondering whether I would like bamboo.
Thanks...

Old January 25th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi
Does anyone have any opinions about bamboo needles? I've always used
aluminum and I'm wondering whether I would like bamboo.
Thanks...

Hello, Pat! First time I've seen you here, so howdy!

As for needles, I use aluminum myself (and the nickel-plated Addis that I
love), but have used bamboo in the past. I personally didn't care for it,
as I'm a speedy knitter, and bamboo really cuts down on my speed. I did
find it necessary to use the bamboo for some really slick yarns, though; I
just kept dropping stitches on the smooth aluminum.

My all-time favorite needles are Lantern Moon's rosewood. They're so
smooth, yet have a warm touch and are lightweight. I can get a decent speed
off of them, but they still grip yarns just a bit more than aluminum.

Anastasia

--who is still trucking along on the NYCO magickal shawl edging; just
finished repeat number 9 of the edging's 48 repeats. *whew!*

Old January 25th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi

I love my bamboo needles and have been using them since August of 2005
and now when I use my aluminum needles I find that I knit slower with
them. The bambmoo are lighter and I actually tried one pair before I
went out and got an entire set of them.

Darlene in Toronto

Old January 25th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I too find that the wooden needles cut down on the knitting speed...and with
some more "stranded yarns" like the baby cloud they tend to split the yarn
more often so I find myself fixing the splits on the next row again and
again.

Old January 25th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Pat , by all means i would change over to Bamboe ,,,, i don`t even
care if they won`t last ages ,, i love their weightlessness , their
warm feel their neatness ,,,
mirjam

Old January 25th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Pat Grant User wrote:
Hi
Does anyone have any opinions about bamboo needles? I've always used
aluminum and I'm wondering whether I would like bamboo.

It depends on what you're knitting and how tight your gauge is.
I have found that aluminum needles are smooth and I can work
quickly on them after I get started, but sometimes I want to start
the work on bamboo or other wooden needles because the metal is so
slippery that I easily drop them out of the stitches when there
are only a few stitches to work with or I'm still in the throes
of casting on.

Wooden needles are also somehow softer on my hands even though
logically they are no different from metal. They are warmer in
a chillly room!

=Tamar
Old January 25th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Welcome Pat!
The only bamboo needles I've used are Crystal Palace's bamboo needles. They
are heavenly.
BonnieBlue

Old January 25th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Bamboo and wood are good for somethings!

First, I note that one of the bamboo needle manufacturers has recently had
some problems with finish, and some of their new needles need to be polished
with a bit of fine steel wool before they are smooth, go-fasts.

I use bamboo/ wood DPN for projects that I am going to carry around, because
the needles are less likely to slip out.

Other good things about bamboo is that the tips can be easily reshaped as
they wear, and long needles can be cut down into shorter needles. ( I like
6" DPN for socks, but 7.5" DPN were on sale!) With some tip reshapeing,
bamboo will last as long as alluminium needles, because once you wear
through the anodizing on AL needles, that is the end of the needle.

I varnish/wax most of my bamboo/wooden needles, and I can not tell any
difference in speed between bamboo and metal needles, but then I am not
really a fast knitter.

Aaron

Old January 25th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Pat,

I just wanted to say welcome to the group and I have never used bamboo
needles so can't give you an opinion. Now for crochet hooks I love
crystalites and I think they come in knitting needles, but not sure.

Nora

1/2 OT - subject of use of knitting needles as weapons Susan Carey Yarn 19 October 21st 05 08:54 PM
great knitting magazines Els van Dam Yarn 5 April 26th 05 01:00 AM
lewis knitting needles? Llaurie Yarn 4 April 30th 04 12:49 AM
Knitting Machines For Sale Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 15th 03 02:41 PM
Less that 12 Hours left! Lot of yarn and Knitting needles! madhatress Marketplace 0 September 17th 03 01:47 PM