short pattern for wheelchair user

Old June 10th 05, 11:08 PM
Holly Wilson

Default short pattern for wheelchair user

Does anyone know of, or have a pattern for shorts for a female who is always
in a wheelchair? I have tried making my own pattern but I can't get it
quite right.

Old June 11th 05, 10:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:08:13 GMT, Holly Wilson wrote:
Does anyone know of, or have a pattern for shorts for a female who is always
in a wheelchair? I have tried making my own pattern but I can't get it
quite right.

Do you have access to Threads #70, pp 28-30 (1997) -- good description there.
Basically, you need to increase the back crotch curve and decrease the front,
to accomodate the seated figure more easily. With long pants, you may also
want to lengthen the front of the legs so you don't get the shin-show. g

More books you may find useful:
Jean Pompelli. Dressing for Independence: Adapting
Clothing for Kids with Special Needs (1998)

Farmer and Gotwal. Concepts of Fit: an
Individualized Approach to Pattern Design (Macmillan, 1982)

Design Without Limits from Simplicity Pattern Co (long out of print)
(may be the same as: "Design Without Limits Designing and
Sewing for Special Needs" by Renee Weiss Chase and M. Dolores Quinn, currently
from Fairchild Publs.)

Maureen Goldsworthy, Clothes for Disabled People (BA Batsford, London, 1981)

Old June 12th 05, 07:34 PM
Holly Wilson

Thank you Kay. I'll see if my sister has this copy of Threads.
Everything I have found is so frumpy!!

Old June 12th 05, 08:08 PM
Liz Cork

om...

wrote:
[...]

I have a copy of the Simplicity 'Design without Limits' book, if you know of
how I could get the information in it to you without infringing copywright I
would be delighted to help.
Liz

Old June 15th 05, 02:41 AM
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

"Liz Cork" wrote in
:

I have a copy of the Simplicity 'Design without Limits' book, if you
know of how I could get the information in it to you without
infringing copywright I would be delighted to help.

The only way I know of is to loan her the book.

--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean,
But much benefit is derived from the labor of the ox.
Old June 15th 05, 06:44 PM
Holly Wilson

Thank you liz, first I'll check with the library. If I can't get it there,
maybe y ou and I can make some kind of arrangement. I'll let you know.

wrote:
[...]

Crochet Pattern Help or Replacement? Allaya Diep Yarn 36 November 13th 04 03:29 PM
Searching for Pattern from Simply Quilts Nancy in Livermore, CA Quilting 7 September 2nd 04 06:48 PM
Child's hat pattern M. Burwell Yarn 6 July 1st 04 05:25 PM
Modifying a pattern Slinky Yarn 5 May 10th 04 11:58 PM
pattern construction book ? JJMolvik Yarn 2 April 2nd 04 09:11 PM