cutting spiral onto a rod

Old May 18th 05, 06:00 AM
Abrasha

Richard Friesen wrote:

My total experience with lathes is a one hour survey class in collage 45
years ago so I will not even pretend to have an opinion of the job under
discussion. But you might want to substitute "lathe" for "computer" the
above story and see if the analogy fits.

Not even close! Small lathes cannot do what large lathes can do, and
vice versa. Besides, there really is no such thing as a generic lathe.
A watchmakers lathe can do certain jobs exceptionally well, but it
cannot machine the shaft for an ocean liner. And a 24" swing lathe,
cannot machine a ladies watch gear.

And the same is true for computers also, but I really do not want to get
into that discussion. It's been a long and tiring day, and I'm not up
for it.

So to make a long story short, I can do things on my PC, that I cannot
do on my Mac, and vice versa. In general you may be right, when it
comes to numbers crunching, data base computing, word processing, image
editing, some video editing etc. But for certain very specialized tasks
you are simply wrong. Sure, every computer given enough computing
power, has the same potential to perform any task, as long as the needed
software is available for any given OS.

If you retired when Windows was "just emerging", you haven't been around
for a while. It sounds like your knowledge of computing needs a little
polishing

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old May 18th 05, 04:34 PM
Neil George

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Andrew Werby wrote:
Sheer horsepower is
only part of the equation when considering a mill's cutting function.
Spindle speed is also an important factor. When using small endmills

like
this, one has to remove a certain amount of material with each flute, as

it
goes by - this is called "chipload".

That's not what "chipload" is.

Abrasha,
Andrew is correct in his understanding of chipload. The chipload is the
thickness of the chip removed or cut. Granted, it is measured in Inches per
tooth, but more accurately put in thousandths of an inch per tooth. The
chipload is merely part of the equation, and *influenced* by RPM and feed
rates and vice versa. Each tooth or flute will remove the designated amount
of material, meaning that a 4 fluted tool with a chipload of .004", will
remove .016" per revolution. All you need to do now, and using your
equations, is to figure out the correct RPM to Feed ratio relevant to
chipload.

Chipload is "inches per tooth"

Your understanding of chipload implies at least to me, that you think it's a
feed rate.

Best Regards.
Neil George
954-572-5829

Old May 21st 05, 05:52 PM
norwick

Ted Frater wrote:

I too .... was enjoying the efforts both
these artisans were putting into this debate.
However it doesnt really help the original questioner solve his
problem.
If I read this thread correctly, the end product was to be a

bracelet?
Can the original poster clarify the intended end product?

The end product (here) was ...that :

I needed to cut a spiral onto a silver rod.
I called it a spiral, wiser ones say it is a helix (similar to a gear)
and as I wanted a round section, I planned to use a rod.

It could be used for many things: a bracelet, necklace (or in a smaller
size for a ring), handle or any bar - bent or straight or what ever...
But it is a neat groove which is needed...'coiling around a smooth
round rod' (silver or gold) where anything could be inserted....

Twisting wires may produce similar effect - especially if it was
finished afterwards to create a more smooth round section....either on
a lathe (?) or perhaps filed (approximately) by hand.
This was one of the compromises I thought of trying if I couldn't
achieve what I really wanted: sleek clean look - not too ethnic.

This was only the first step (unfortunately) of a thought, which fell
flat due to a technical hick-up or lack of knowledge/know-how (or call
it whatever you want).
But lack of knowledge now should not mean that it cannot be learnt!
With perseverance and with a little help from your friends?

In other words thanks to you all for your input.
It has been informative and on occasions quite exiting!

regards
norwick

Old May 22nd 05, 07:27 PM
Bob Miller

One thing that has not been mentioned (that I have read or did I miss
it?) is to check the knife making groups. I have seen knives and read
articles about knives that have this type of handle. The articles were
in 'KNIFE' and/or 'KNIVES ILLUSTRATES ED'
I may be wrong, but I think this type of handle dates to the
Rennaseance (sp ?) years.

Also, check with alt.crafts.blacksmithing and
rec.crafts.metalworking

Good Luck
Bob

Old May 24th 05, 03:01 PM
Ian Johnson

This topic is getting quite long! I had a thought that might help; twisted
1/2 round wire will give the appearance of a spiral cut with a round ended
tool. The end result may not be exactly what you're looking for but it's an
easy test to find out.
good luck,
Ian
www.skylinesilver.com

cutting strips Dawn Alguard Sewing 3 February 1st 05 08:13 PM
Spiral Idea scaperchick Beads 4 October 13th 03 09:14 PM
Spiral Idea scaperchick Beads 0 October 10th 03 04:44 PM
Pressing and Cutting Paradigm Shift needed frood Quilting 37 July 31st 03 10:20 AM
FA: $5.00The Technique of Stained Glass Elric of Imrryr Marketplace 0 July 30th 03 03:53 AM