"Lampwork Bead Collection 4 Breast Cancer"

Old October 17th 03, 08:56 PM
Dr. Sooz

That's a good one. Maybe each year we could benefit a different animal
shelter.

How about this: I can helm this project if you'd like -- I was the first
Fundraising Director for Greenpeace San Francisco (one of the first Greenpeace
offices in the US). So I nominate myself for this RCB position (whatever it's
called!).

Needy causes abound. How about if we start out the first year doing 4
fundraising auctions -- one every 3 months? That would give us ample time to
make something to donate.

If we have an abundance of items, they can be divided up into several (3?)
auctions to garner more $$. Or whatever works (this is all off the top of my
head).

I'd like to donate to nonprofit agencies that put most of their donation $$
into the remedy, not the overhead. And try to give to timely causes -- for
instace, right now the Bush administration is trying to demolish environmental
protections in order to give big businesses a boost. It's evil and it's Right
Now. We can find an organization that's trying to do something to protect
against this assault on our natural resources, for one.

We're all into our animals, and others' animals -- their safety and good
treatment. So an animal shelter every year is a great idea. My mom knows a
lot about this area, and I can ask her which ones put their money where their
needs are (and not salaries and perks).

Breast cancer is one I'd like to do every October! Too late this year for a
project, but next year, yeah! (My mom is a breast cancer survivor -- 17
years!). That speaks to all of us here on RCB.

Kids and education in the arts might be another one we'd feel deeply about.
Maybe one children's arts organization every year -- say, one that funds music
in the schools, and another one that funds art supplies next year, etc.

Any other ideas to consider?
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old October 17th 03, 10:46 PM
Helen Page

Dr. Sooz wrote:

Any other ideas to consider?

How about the charity that's helped me and many other young people with
ME/CFS so much? Association of Young People with ME (AYME) -
http://www.ayme.org.uk

H. x

Old October 18th 03, 02:08 AM
bluemaxx

I'm in! You decide on which cause and I'll be there. ))))
--
Linda

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
: Oh, I'll know to donate to this particular one next time, but in
: general, I always seem to hear about various worthy endeavors too
late
: to contribute. I do try to donate my work to good causes whenever
I can,
: I just am not enough "in the know" to hear about stuff, most of
the time.
:
: Hey -- this is *RCB* -- I bet we could do one of these combo
auctions
: ourselves, for breast cancer, next October! Do you think we
should start
: planning it? You know, all of us have a project to donate, begin
creating it
: in our heads, and put it on our calendars? Doing the requisite
documentation
: (or whatever) in order to make it legit can be easily done. What
do you say?
:
: I think, being that we *are* RCB (with our healing vibes and
such), we should
: try to do things like this on a regular basis for various (but not
a zillion)
: charities. Like maybe 3 or 4 a year. I'd love to find an animal
welfare or
: wildlife preservation group we could donate to, also. What do you
all think?
: We are a generous, healing group, and it's right in line with our
identity.
:
: Life without giving is pretty barren. :-)
: ~~
: Sooz
: -------
: "Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your
jewelry." John
: Lennon (1940 - 1980) Royal Varieties Performance
: ~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
: http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html

---

Old October 18th 03, 04:23 AM
Christina Peterson

I think arts/education would probably be the very most suitable. Because
it's what we are all about.

We can't do too much, though. And even managing 2 per year is a lot. Maybe
4 catagories -- animal/environmental, women's issues, arts, and medical.
But only doing two each year.

Tina

Old October 18th 03, 04:41 AM
MargieK

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:23:09 GMT, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

I think arts/education would probably be the very most suitable. Because
it's what we are all about.

I like this idea. I also like the Breast Cancer donation because so
many of us are/have/or will be effected by it. With that said, it can
be my own personal project, not necessarily RCB. Could always hitch
my wagon to JustBeads if they'd let me.

We can't do too much, though. And even managing 2 per year is a lot. Maybe
4 catagories -- animal/environmental, women's issues, arts, and medical.
But only doing two each year.

I'm with Tina, I definitely can handle two a year.

--
Margie
http://www.PictureTrail.com/margiek

Old October 18th 03, 05:34 AM
Valerie

I'd love to find an animal welfare or
wildlife preservation group we could donate to, also. What do you all think?

I'm IN!!!!

Valerie
Website: http://www.geocities.com/m2ir8/index.html
RCB Member Links:
http://www.geocities.com/m2ir8/professionallinks.html
Submit your site! E-mail me for details! *Remove* spam block to reply.

Old October 18th 03, 12:11 PM
April H.

When I was a teenager, my mother had us volunteer 1 hour a week to
anything that we believed was a worthy cause. I've helped out many
organizations in that time....and it was so wonderfully fulfilling
that I'm still giving my time to help others. I'm a volunteer to the
core...please count me in! A couple of possibilities: either Toys for
Tots or Salvation Army around Christmastime both do sooooo much to
help others, and February is African American History month....perhaps
the American Negro College Fund?

April
April

I Corinthians 13:13
Old October 18th 03, 05:45 PM
CLP

I'd love to find an animal welfare or
wildlife preservation group we could donate to, also. What do you all

think?

to be honest, not pc and having an unpopular opinion, much as I love
animals, I'm sick to death of all the animal rights money being collected
and spent when we have so many people suffering with crippling, painful
diseases on this board alone, who would benefit from having a bunch of money
donated to research in the medical field. Of course I live in the homeplace
of PETA, who make me sick. I see millions spent on slick advertising,
mailing, tv, which could make such a difference in the lives of human
beings! Money that could be spent serving victims of abuse, or battered
women, or women needing kilns, torches and equipment to start a new life...
OK, I threw that last part in as a subliminal thought...

--
It could work.

Live and be well,
Christy