THE EASIEST NEEDLEWORK TO LEARN

Old June 27th 14, 11:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default THE EASIEST NEEDLEWORK TO LEARN

On Monday, June 23, 2014 3:22:50 PM UTC-4, Joan Erickson wrote:
On 6/18/2014 4:10 PM, wrote:

What is the easiest sort of needlework to learn?

Is it knitting? Crochet? Embroidery? Tatting? What?

Thanks to anyone who answers

I would tend to agree with Kay. Making xs (xes? What's the plural of

x?) or slanted lines is pretty easy. There is a lot more coordination

involved in the rest, especially tatting (although I've only done needle

tatting, which I find very similar to crochet).

Who are you trying to teach?

--

Joan

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

I'm not trying to teach but considering trying to learn.
Old June 28th 14, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kay Lancaster

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 03:24:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'm not trying to teach but considering trying to learn.

Basic cross stitch is going to be the cheapest to learn (the yarns and
canvases used for needlepoint are generally much
more expensive). But you can pick up a piece of Aida cloth (which looks
like this:
https://www.fabric.com/buy/el-272/60-wide-aida-cloth-natural?&cm_mmc=Google-_-Products-_-Products%20Listings-_-Ads&CAWELAID=172000510000028007&CAGPSPN=pla&catarg etid=172000510000043626&cadevice=c&gclid=CL38tJHbm 78CFURqfgodeAsAnQ
(and comes in smaller pieces, too), a pack of "tapestry needles" (about $2),
and a small embroidery hoop for another $2-4 (6" is a good size for most
women's hands), and a couple of skeins of something like DMC embroidery
floss for under $2 and get started.

The holes in the aida cloth make it easy to make nice even stitches on, and when
you're well practiced, you can switch to cross stitching on different fabrics,
or you can start learning some new embroidery stitches and work over into surface
embroidery.

Everyone who embroiders (and cross stitch is a form of embroidery) tends to
develop their own ways of working and what they're comfortable with. I mostly
work without hoops, and usually do many different forms of stitches, not just
cross stitch (here's a quilt square I did for a friend:
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21784677 ) We all develop our own
styles and preferences, and that, to me, is one of the great things about
embroidery as a hobby.

Kay

Old June 30th 14, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 6/28/2014 4:42 AM, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 03:24:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'm not trying to teach but considering trying to learn.

Basic cross stitch is going to be the cheapest to learn (the yarns and
canvases used for needlepoint are generally much
more expensive).
snip

Yeah, what Kay said! And remember to keep posting here, especially if
you have questions/problems. We mostly have lots of experience with
most types of needlework and are great at enabling!

Old July 1st 14, 12:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Monday, June 30, 2014 11:59:21 AM UTC-4, Joan Erickson wrote:
On 6/28/2014 4:42 AM, Kay Lancaster wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 03:24:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'm not trying to teach but considering trying to learn.

Basic cross stitch is going to be the cheapest to learn (the yarns and

canvases used for needlepoint are generally much

more expensive).

snip

Yeah, what Kay said! And remember to keep posting here, especially if

you have questions/problems. We mostly have lots of experience with

most types of needlework and are great at enabling!

--

Joan

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

Thanks to all of you for your input. It looks like embroidery is the best choice for a beginner like me.

Your Easiest Million melbbr4 Quilting 0 July 6th 07 07:27 PM
The easiest way to get free cash! thegreatmontezuma Rubberstamps 0 September 13th 05 03:55 PM
The easiest way to get free cash! thegreatmontezuma Rubberstamps 0 September 13th 05 12:42 PM
easiest pumpkin muffins ever Monique Reed Quilting 1 November 3rd 03 07:07 PM
Anyone know the easiest way to figure out how much yarn was used? Mary Needlework 6 August 5th 03 04:40 PM