Ebay Diamonds

Old July 16th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
gruhn

Default Ebay Diamonds

Diamonds without a certificate of origin these days may be 'blood diamond=
s'.

Is a "blood diamond" a diamond that DeBeers didn't get a cut of the
profit on? Is it a diamond that was used to fund a rebellion that the
UN didn't approve of? Is the UN's approval really that excellent a
marker of "legitimacy" of uprising? Is the UN going to put a ban on
Iraqi "blood oil" sold under American (USA) auspices; "we'll fund the
war by selling the oil we grab there." Is a "blood diamond" a way
somebody can make a living in a ravaged country without having to kill
other people? Doesn't all the talk about "conflict-free,"
"transparency," "certification" sound suspiciously like big government
and busy-body hippies poking their clueless fingers where they don't
belong and or they will do some third party the most good?

I don't know. I do know that what I read about "blood diamonds" and
the quickness "oooo, don't buy blood diamonds" gets mentioned sure
makes me think it sounds like a load of propogandistic hooey.

Point? If you are going to take William's advice and avoid _POSSIBLY_
buying a "blood diamond," have a look into it and try to really
understand the issue for yourself before you mindlessly buy into some
other person's boycott. Boycotts are trendy and so often misguided.
This one may well be too. And when they are, they do tremendous harm.

Pass them through an international border (by post or in your pocket) you
stand a chance of getting them impounded.

Now that's a good reason. Depending on the actual chance.

artificial market that has a very limited lifetime now that everyone has
realised that it's a cartel cheating them.

Exactly. "Ooo, you have to buy our diamonds. Our diamonds aren't
'bloody'." Cartel. Cheating.

Buy rubies, =A0you can't fake them or manufacture them.

Because they provide similar look? I notice you mentioned investment,
are we sure that somebody posting in _jewelry_ is looking for
investment? Though Wikipedia mentions downward pressure on ruby prices
in the 1990s so maybe you aren't thinking of them for investment.

And I'm confused about not being able to manufacture ruby. Because you
can. Though "fake" ones seems to be frowned upon. Is there good reason
for that? Again, back to Wikipedia, they mention that a completely
flawless ruby will be suspected of being artificial. Suspected, not
known. So clearly I'm missing something here. Or are we just talking
CDs vs. vinyl or a fondness for provenance? And I'm not sure "ewww, I
don't want it because it doesn't have junk in it" sounds a likely
argument for a clear gem stone.
Old July 16th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
gruhn

The UK government has a great deal of interest in blood diamonds as a lot of

One more facet of the reason to be suspicious of the issue.

them come from Sierra Leone where HMG has just fought a short but nasty war
and is busy spending loads of money on making sure it's a nice stable

Somebody with power guns and money telling me "oh, don't let the
people we don't like have money. They're 'bad.'" I don't trust 'em.

Again, I don't know what's really going on with "blood diamonds" but
from what I can tell, I sure don't trust the issue. Looks like a scam.

democracy.

WAY OT : A democracy can't be stable.

Then I must have misheard the chap at one gem supplier.

Ah good, you had me freaking out. Though I was willing to understand
that "for some reason the fakes just don't count." Who can tell with
people, eh?

Old July 16th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
gruhn

overlap in these properties from one location to another. =A0They can, fo=
example, take some stones and know for certain that they did not come fro=

Sierro leone (one of the biggest problem areas), =A0but the machine can't=

say this
for certain for all locations, especially stones from other parts of afri=

ca with

Is time an issue? Can they say "it (probably) came from Fooland AND it
did so within the past 5 years"? Because, if "the bad people" only
started selling diamonds four years ago, cutting out diamonds that
source from Fooland before then seems off target.

Or do "old" diamonds just not circulate? Would the ones in question be
uncut?

similar geology. =A0And then there are the stones from Sierra Leone that =

happen to
be legal. =A0Perhaps mined legally before the war, or since, etc. etc. =

=A0No

Maybe I should read ahead ;-)

It's a better test than nothing,

Sounds like since...

but a long way from being even close to perfect

=2E..it's actually a worse test than nothing.

this). =A0Nice bright red ruby, but easy to identify due to curved growth=

marks.

Easy "with a loupe and an educated eye" or "looks funny to clueless
Gruhn"?

a few gem dealers and even trained gemologists have been fooled by one or=

more
of the various ruby synthetics or treatments from time to time...

So back to a point I hinted at before - if even the experts are
fooled, does it matter? I guess it boils down to "what do we
value" (sparkly rocks!). And no, we don't value "fake" "manufactured"
"synthetic" even if such are exactly the same or better. We do seem to
value "dug it out of the ground". If so, I've no idea why.
Old July 16th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:45:45 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry gruhn
wrote:

If You will buy cheap the risk is higher that You will get a banana.

Is "banana" a regular term in the industry? Just curious.

Only if the jeweler using it happens to be also in the fruit business, or
hungry, or something. But the poster who used that term is a german speaker,
who's use of english may at times involve unconventional translations. I
suspect he meant something like "lemon", which does have a non-fruit well
understood meaning in consumer products in general.
Old July 16th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Heinrich Butschal[_3_]

wrote:

If You will buy cheap the risk is higher that You will get a banana.
Is "banana" a regular term in the industry? Just curious.

Only if the jeweler using it happens to be also in the fruit business, or
hungry, or something. But the poster who used that term is a german speaker,
who's use of english may at times involve unconventional translations. I
suspect he meant something like "lemon", which does have a non-fruit well
understood meaning in consumer products in general.

So I wanted to express that also with diamonds whose 4-c qualities sounds
good or fair in the first view, there could have special remarks witch grade
the diamond down. A jeweller or expert will recognize it and avoid to
recommend such a stone to his good customer.
Some who are looking for the best price will have a good chance to get such
odd stones.

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Heinrich Butschal
--
Schmuck Gutachter und Schmuckverkauf http://www.butschal.de
Schmuck nach Maß anfertigen http://www.meister-atelier.de
Old July 31st 08, 07:48 AM
Lakers Lakers is offline
Member

I have been waiting for about 5 days now but the shipping times are 10-19 days. As soon as I get them I will let you know. I have not seen you on that forum for a long time now and I was wondering where you are? How did it go with the collection that you got? Here is the link to the beads again http://www.liangdianup.com/beadscrafts_1.htm and here is the link to the Swarovski beads http://www.liangdianup.com/inventory/900020.htm if those links don't work then you can goto www.lducompany.com and click on the beads picture, that should take you right there. I hope you see this message and get back to me cause I miss talking to you

I need a 5in (or is it 5.5in) 60 deg diamonds Carissa Quilting 12 April 11th 08 01:40 AM
AD: Diamonds!! Cindy Schoepp Beads 2 February 14th 06 02:26 AM
Diamonds, Cultured Diamonds, and Cubic Zirconia Comparison [email protected] Jewelry 0 April 6th 05 02:41 PM
diamonds Lawrence Jewelry 1 September 18th 04 09:07 AM
diamonds Dr.Quilter Quilting 2 July 16th 04 04:44 PM