OFF TOPIC - the ladybug "lost" her mittens

Old February 6th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default OFF TOPIC - the ladybug "lost" her mittens

On 2/5/07 3:37 PM, "Brenda Lewis" wrote:

Over 530 schools around here closed today. No snow, wind chills only
predicted for -20 (current conditions = temp of +5 and wind chill of
-15). Schools in Iowa (where it was colder both in actual temp and wind
chill) were mostly open or doing 2-hour delays so no buses would have to
run before full sunup. And around here when the public schools close,
all the private schools, preschools, and daycares follow suit. Since no
businesses or government offices were closing today, all these school
closings are a huge disservice--how are parents supposed to go to work
when the schools and daycares won't open? And I'll bet dollars to
donuts it isn't *really* because they are concerned about kids getting
to school in the cold--it is because the school can save a ton of money
by having a long weekend and not heating the building up or running
buses today. &*$#! unconstitutional school funding issues! The Akron
superintendent was actually whining in the newspaper because Akron
didn't have any "snow" days last year. Whole thing makes me sick.

On the news yesterday they were discussing the weather, and that in several
areas schools would likely be closed because of the excessive wind chill and
not wanting kids waiting for buses, etc. Evidently in Buffalo they'd
already ahd several kids with cold related injuries, and one frostbite.

I guess there are a lot of kids at work with the parents - or something.

ellice

Old February 6th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/6/07 8:57 AM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

[...]

I've heard a lot of complaints about the schools getting cancelled due to
weather. Honestly, I think they should be in school, but can see the point
if you have lots of kids that are on long bus routes with the wind howling.

Old February 6th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
T Michelle Jensen

The problem too is if the wind chill is -30, and the bus is late, which is
all too frequent, how many parents can sit by the bus stop w/ the car
running? Who wants to be standing out waiting for a bus?

Old February 6th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

Cheryl wrote:
I've heard a lot of complaints about the schools getting cancelled due to
weather. Honestly, I think they should be in school, but can see the point
if you have lots of kids that are on long bus routes with the wind howling.

A lot of the city kids ride the city buses instead of school-owned
buses. Daycares and a lot of preschools don't even have bus service so
parents take the kids there. The thing that really gets me is the
newspaper is running a big series on the homeless. They really need to
talk to some homeless children to find out how miserable their lives are
when they don't get to spend a few hours a day in a heated school and
get that hot lunch.

--
Brenda
Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader
Old February 6th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/6/07 12:45 PM, in article
.net, "T Michelle Jensen"
wrote:

The problem too is if the wind chill is -30, and the bus is late, which is
all too frequent, how many parents can sit by the bus stop w/ the car
running? Who wants to be standing out waiting for a bus?

Oh - I know the joys of waiting for the bus. I've heard in past years,
during very cold spells, of high school students having to be treated for
frostbite. The buses were late and the idiots don't always wear coats.

Old February 6th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Cheryl Isaak ) writes:
The problem too is if the wind chill is -30, and the bus is late, which is
all too frequent, how many parents can sit by the bus stop w/ the car
running? Who wants to be standing out waiting for a bus?

Oh - I know the joys of waiting for the bus. I've heard in past years,
during very cold spells, of high school students having to be treated for
frostbite. The buses were late and the idiots don't always wear coats.

Surely this is the real point; knowing what to do when the weather
gets cold. If schools closed when wind chills got to -40 in Iqaluit, or
Whitehorse, or Yellowknife, they would be closed "half" of the school year.
Here in Ottawa, we never have snow days. Schools stay open as much as
they can. Buses occasionally get cancelled when the weather is very bad
indeed. But parents and children are expected to know how kids need to be
dressed in winter.

Old February 6th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka Kammerer

F.James Cripwell wrote:
Cheryl Isaak ) writes:
[...]

The point is that the expectations vary by region. It's
one thing to expect people to be prepared for very cold weather
where it happens frequently. It's another thing to expect people
to be prepared for very cold weather when it happens once a decade.
I would expect the school systems to soldier on in the northern
hinterlands. When Atlanta gets below zero wind chills, I'm
not terribly surprised if their families and infrastructure
aren't up to the job.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 6th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/6/07 4:21 PM, in article ,
"Ericka Kammerer" wrote:

F.James Cripwell wrote:
Cheryl Isaak ) writes:
[...]

Amen - canceling school due to cold make sense in some places and it is down
right silly here in the frozen north!

Old February 6th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
The point is that the expectations vary by region. It's
one thing to expect people to be prepared for very cold weather
where it happens frequently. It's another thing to expect people
to be prepared for very cold weather when it happens once a decade.

Precisely.

During the worst winter in the previous 50 years, I was long-distance
dating a guy who'd spent his whole life in warm places.

One day, he caught up with me at lunchtime, absolutely frantic that he
had been calling for hours, where was I? They had 2" of snow and the
entire county was shut down. My response was that we "only had two
feet, so I have to get to class", and hung up leaving him wondering who
in their right mind would say "only" two feet of snow. I clarified
after class, that the person who would call it "only" two feet was the
person who'd shoveled THREE feet of the bleeping stuff the week before.

Poor boy still could not fathom how we were able to get around town with
12 times as much snow as had brought his county to a standstill. Well,
lessee, we had a fleet of snowplows mobilized with the first flake
(their county didn't own a single plow), we had snow shovels (their
local Sears didn't order any), we had snow tires, we had winter clothes....

We did not even discuss the fact that at one point that winter, my area
had daytime highs in the negative numbers. I couldn't have possibly
explained to him that if you know how to dress for it, and you're
acclimatized to it, it's not that bad to go out in something 30 degrees
colder than your freezer.

OTOH, now I try to explain, with equal lack of success, how it is that I
can say "cooling trend to 108" with a straight face.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 1/26/07 -- Classy Lady in Coral (JCS) -- done in purple to
match the companion piece

WIP: housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old February 7th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Feb 6, 12:06 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote

Oh - I know the joys of waiting for the bus. I've heard in past years,
during very cold spells, of high school students having to be treated for
frostbite. The buses were late and the idiots don't always wear coats.

Or button them up. I watched a clip on the weather channel of high
school kids getting off a bus this morning. I could see them wince as
they stepped into the cold air but they were cool. Their coats
remained unzipped.

Dora

Instant Mittens WoolyGooly Yarn 12 December 11th 06 05:58 PM
Off topic - ladybug enabling Cheryl Isaak Needlework 5 June 18th 06 06:49 PM
OFF TOPIC: QUEEN Of Off Topic Campaign Butterfly Quilting 9 May 19th 06 01:21 PM
Posting ON Topic threads Tia Mary Quilting 0 October 22nd 05 08:44 PM
Gentle reminder - mark Off Topic messages OT Barbara Hass Needlework 7 May 15th 04 04:38 PM