Are introductions in order?

Old November 17th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Are introductions in order?

Ok, Alice here with our duty stations.

Started out in Portland, Oregon as DH was in Dental school there. We
got married the summer between second and third year of dental school.
He was on one of two Army scholarships for dental school. He graduated
from ROTC winning just about every award they gave away. What a show
off!

Then Brooks Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX
Sinop, Turkey
Worms, West Germany
Back to BAMC in San Antonio
WRAMC (Walter Reed Army Medical Center) Washington, DC (this is where
DH got his post doctoral MS in Periodontics) #1 son born here.
Fort Sill, Oklahoma lived in Lawton
Schofield Barracks, Wahiawa, Hawaii
Fort Carson, Colorado Springs, Colorado
And finally retired to Salt Lake City, Utah

Not too bad for an Army family. All of our tours after DC were four
years in length.

Sorry, I do not have a web site. Can we put photos on the posts here?
I had to ask since I have not been with this group very long. I have a
couple digital photos of some things I have designed. I need to get
photos of just about everything I have stitched that I still have in my
possession. Just another of the things on the never ending list. lol

Alice

Old November 17th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 16, 7:42 pm, Tracey wrote:
wrote:
Ok, Alice here with our duty stations.

Started out in Portland, Oregon as DH was in Dental school there. We
got married the summer between second and third year of dental school.
He was on one of two Army scholarships for dental school. He graduated
from ROTC winning just about every award they gave away. What a show
off!

Then Brooks Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX
Sinop, TurkeyYou were in Sinop? Me, too. With the Navy detachment and there

in the late 80's. Met my husband there, too.

Tracey
(1,000,000 inches from Russia)

Hi Tracey,

Yep, spent some time on the Hill. We were there in 1974 & 1975. I
worked at the Education Center and my husband was the dentist on Post.
We lived in town down on the street to the east of the Yenni Hotel.
Looked right out onto the bay. We were there when the Turks closed
everything down. It was an interesting time.

Sounds like you were active duty when you were there. That is where I
found out that the Navy folks drink more coffee than the Army. lol

We really enjoyed being there.

Alice
( Sinop, not quite the end of the earth but, you can see it from there.)

Old November 17th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tracey

wrote:

On Nov 16, 7:42 pm, Tracey wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I heard it was. I was stationed with a couple who were there when it
was closed down and I've met a couple more who were there when it shut
down for good a while back.

Sounds like you were active duty when you were there.

Yep. AD Navy. I worked in the building with no windows. :P~

That is where I
found out that the Navy folks drink more coffee than the Army. lol

Coffee. The lifeblood of the Navy. Hehe.

We really enjoyed being there.

I loved it myself. Did some shopping. Did some drinking. Well, okay,
did LOTS of drinking. Did the tourist stuff.

Alice
( Sinop, not quite the end of the earth but, you can see it from there.)

ROFL. Forgot about that one. :P

Tracey

Old November 17th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
T Michelle Jensen

I'd list where I'd lived & been stationed over the years, but I think I'd
run out of room. By the time I was 21 I'd lived in 13 different states & 2
countries. I'm now on state #14. I've been East Coast, West Coast, Hawaii,
Gulf Coast, & Germany. The only states I've never been in is Alaska - but
my father's been there & to the North Pole (unfortunately, no Santa photos
though, although he has a great one of a Polar Bear chasing the ship!). The
hazards of growing up in the military.

--cocoa
wrote in message
ups.com...
I joined the group in October and have been posting since I discovered
this great group. I see some of you post daily and others come in when
they can. I thought it might be nice for those of us who are newer to
the group to get to know the rest of you. I saw another newbie on the
threads the other day so I don't think I am the only one wondering who
is here and such.

I will start since this was my bright idea.

Name:
Alice

I live in:
Salt Lake City, Utah

How long I have been stitching:
Well when living in Turkey I had my DM send me some needlepoint kits
since I had read every book in the library that I wanted to read. (I
was with my USArmy husband and one of the few women there.) When we
got back Stateside I tried a class in quilting but lasted until I made
a new friend who did Danish Cross Stitch. That was 26 years ago. Been
stitching ever since.

Groups I belong to:
EGA - I live in the Rocky Mountain Region
Swan Sampler Stitchers (home nest is in Salt Lake City but, members
from all over the world.)

More of possible interest:
I have done some designing for EGA and Swans as well as for myself. I
have entered items in our State Fair for about four years. The first
entry was one of my designs based on a view of the Pacific Ocean just
south of Monterey, CA and I won First place. I have entered ever since
with my lowest showing a Forth place.

Family: Great husband and two sons ages 25 and 23 and a soon to be
daughter-in-law (as of December 29).

Hope to get to know all of you.
Alice

Old November 17th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
kagjws

Wow -- a lot of military families (as someone has already mentioned).
A belated Veteran's Day thank you! (My father is retired Navy; I'm a
civilian for DOD. Experienced some of the govt moves as well, usually
sponsored by the Army. I like the part about getting paid to travel!)

Home base is in the Washington, DC area and am currently working right
outside of Baltimore, living in southcentral Pennsylvania near
Gettysburg. Lived in the UK for three years -- noticed some of our
British friends on this board! (I *loved* England.)

Oh, yes, needlework..... I haven't been doing a lot of stitching;
rather, I'm trying to adopt some of the patterns/methods in rughooking.
So I pop on the board every now and then to see what's going on. I
really want to try one of Elian McCready or Kaffe Fassett designs on a
rug -- love the UK designers. Also love Claire Murray....but also like
the traditional American designs as well (folk art).

Kris

Old November 17th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Queen City x-stitcher

I was raised a Navy Brat, joined the Navy, married a Navy corpsman, and
raised 3 Navy brats, one who has now joined the navy as well. Went to 3
different first grades and moved 11 times in ten years (1974-1984).

I'm Bobbie Viorritto, in Manchester NH. and I have lived up and down the
East coast and California. The only overseas I did was Argentia
Newfoundland. I'm married 31 years to DH Tony, and have 3 children,
Chris USN and in Japan with his wife, Ayako, and my grandson, Kaito. DS
Erick is in Va with his wife Irene and finishing his last year of med
school. DD Sarah shares my birthday and is living at home and paying of
her student loans.

I have been a Navy Hospital Corpsman, bus driver, bridal consultant, and
presently work as a bridal alterationist AKA a wedding gown wrestler. I
have been stitching most of my life and love hardanger, cross stitch,
temari, and samplers. much of my finished work is posted at

http:/photos.yahoo.com/bobbieviorritto

DD Sarah, Ayako, and several nieces all stitch as well. I have SABLE 3
times over and many WIP. I usually do most of my stitching Nov - March
as I work part time. The bridal season in this area is Mar thru end of
October and I work overtime +++++.

I also love to read, bake (my shortbread has had raves and I collect
ceramic shortbread molds), have a large group of friends and recently
have been in touch with some of my old boot camp friends. I have
Fibromyalgia and that often limits what I want to do, but I have learn
to be gentle with myself and not worry so much about what I am not able
to do.

Bobbie V.

remove the knot with a net to reply
Old November 17th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

Karen C - California wrote:

Geez.... I've moved 10x within California and the government wasn't
involved in any of them. (We owned a landscape company and went through
a phase where a series of landlords repeatedly sold the house out from
under us as soon as we had prettied up the yard.)

That's a heartbreaker. We've always moved into houses where no previous
occupant had cared about plants. I'd come in and start experimenting
with plants right away. But I knew I'd be leaving in 1 or 2 years so I
never spent a lot of money.

Donna in Virginia

Old November 17th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Donna wrote:

Karen C - California wrote:

Geez.... I've moved 10x within California and the government wasn't
involved in any of them. (We owned a landscape company and went through
a phase where a series of landlords repeatedly sold the house out from
under us as soon as we had prettied up the yard.)

That's a heartbreaker. We've always moved into houses where no previous
occupant had cared about plants. I'd come in and start experimenting
with plants right away. But I knew I'd be leaving in 1 or 2 years so I
never spent a lot of money.

Donna in Virginia

Unfortunately, when you run a landscape company, you know the clients
are going to check out your own place as a sample of what you can do, so
we invested a lot of time and money in the yards for "advertising" purposes.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 11/12/06 -- Jukebox Saturday Night (my own design)

WIP: baby and housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old November 17th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

My name is Anne. I'm a native NewYawker but followed my ex-husband, the
engineer, as he moved from job to job and place to place. I've been in
Knoxville, TN for many, many years and stay here because my 2 adult kids and 1
1/2 grandkids live near by. The 1/2 is a four year old boy who came along for
the ride when his mom married my son. I'd consider him a whole grandkid if I
saw him more sigh

I began stitching crewel and rug hooking kits eons ago. I was a single mom who
delighted in being involved as much as possible in my children's activities. I
was a soccer mom before the s&m were capitalized ;-) I returned to stitching
after being laid off in 2002 when our president shut down the alternative fuels
research program for which I provided information support. I quickly tired of
the kits that were available locally and on Ebay. I've tried cross stitching
and blackwork but found that I am 'dyslexic' when it comes to remembering the
count I've seen on the chart when the needle and thread touch the fabric.

I really like dimensional and textured embroidery or needlepoint. Paraphrasing
President Kennedy, "ich bin ein embellisher" IOW, I have the best time tarting
up fabric that was designed for something other than embroidery or converting
xs or needlepoint patterns via computer to pictures that I can transfer to
fabric and then doing my thing.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply