Firehouse Angel Framing Finale

Old June 27th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Firehouse Angel Framing Finale

HI Guys,
I went back to both Michael's and Susan's today to take a second
look at the stuff and discuss placement of the little plaque. The lady
at Michael's framing did NOT want to have anything to do with putting
the plaque on the mat -- no way, no how! She said she **would** do it
but really didn't want to! Needless to say, I went to Susan's and
placed the order for her to do the framing and got the foam core so that
I could mount the piece!
I will get it back to her right after the 4th of July holiday and
she said it would be ready in about 2 weeks. I have a 20% off coupon for
Susan's, so there will be enough money for the framing and postage to
send the Angel to Heather & Linda in NY. If there should happen to be a
short fall in funds, I can make up the difference because I haven't
chipped in yet.
There are two ways to mount & display the plaque. One is to have
the opening in the top mat just a bit smaller than the plaque so that it
covers up the edges of the plaque. The other is to have the opening
just a tad larger so that you see the entire plaque and a teensy bit of
the bottom mat. Does anyone have any other ideas about mounting the
plaque?? Personally, I like the second option but a final choice will
depend on how large the plaque is. I have e-mailed Joan and hope to be
able to talk with her "in person" about this.
That's all for now. I will say I'm glad I didn't actually have to
make a decision about the final framing. The whole plaque "thing"
pretty much took the choice out of my hands!! I'll keep you posted on
when stuff is finished and the piece is ready to be sent off. Needless
to say, I will post photos of the framed Angel once I get her back.
CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old June 27th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tia Mary wrote:
There are two ways to mount & display the plaque. One is to have the
opening in the top mat just a bit smaller than the plaque so that it
covers up the edges of the plaque. The other is to have the opening
just a tad larger so that you see the entire plaque and a teensy bit of
the bottom mat. Does anyone have any other ideas about mounting the
plaque?? Personally, I like the second option but a final choice will
depend on how large the plaque is. I have e-mailed Joan and hope to be
able to talk with her "in person" about this.

Okay. I'm a broken record. But why do the edges have to be hidden?
And why does the mat have to be cut to accomodate the plaque? I'm
staring at a brass plaque sitting on a mat, framed and under glass. It
looks great! The darn plaque is probably 1/64" thick. A sliver, if you
will.

Dianne
Old June 28th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Tia Mary wrote:

There are two ways to mount & display the plaque. One is to have
the opening in the top mat just a bit smaller than the plaque so that
it covers up the edges of the plaque. The other is to have the
opening just a tad larger so that you see the entire plaque and a
teensy bit of the bottom mat. Does anyone have any other ideas about
mounting the plaque?? Personally, I like the second option but a final
choice will depend on how large the plaque is. I have e-mailed Joan
and hope to be able to talk with her "in person" about this.

Okay. I'm a broken record. But why do the edges have to be hidden? And
why does the mat have to be cut to accomodate the plaque? I'm staring
at a brass plaque sitting on a mat, framed and under glass. It looks
great! The darn plaque is probably 1/64" thick. A sliver, if you will.

I'm sure it doees look fine. Personally, I like the way the plaques
look when they are set into a cut in the top mat rather than on top of
it. I also think I like the idea of having the opening larger rather
than covering the edges.

Elizabeth

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old June 28th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Okay. I'm a broken record. But why do the edges have to be hidden? And
why does the mat have to be cut to accomodate the plaque? I'm staring
at a brass plaque sitting on a mat, framed and under glass. It looks
great! The darn plaque is probably 1/64" thick. A sliver, if you will.

Dianne

The two options I mentioned (cut the opening smaller or larger than
the plaque) are the ones recommended by the framer. If the plaque sits
on the top mat it will come in contact with the glass unless we add more
spacers. I was adamant about *not* having spacers between the glass and
the top mat because that's something I really do not like the look of.
I much prefer the look of the opening cut a bit larger than the
plaque and having just s smidgen of the bottom mat showing. So unless
there is a general hue & cry to do it some other way, that's what I will
have the framer do. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old June 28th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tia Mary said
HI Guys,
I went back to both Michael's and Susan's today to take a second
look at the stuff and discuss placement of the little plaque. The lady
at Michael's framing did NOT want to have anything to do with putting
the plaque on the mat -- no way, no how! She said she **would** do it
but really didn't want to! Needless to say, I went to Susan's and
placed the order for her to do the framing and got the foam core so that
I could mount the piece!

Give yourself a pat on the back. You done good, real good ;-)
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old June 29th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

IMO it looks much neater and more professional if inset into the mat. It`s
not a matter of thickness, but just seems to show that that much more care
has been taken over the presentation. Sticking it on the front seems to be
an easy and perhaps cheap option.

Pat P

Old June 29th 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"anne" wrote in message
.net...
Tia Mary said
HI Guys,
I went back to both Michael's and Susan's today to take a second
look at the stuff and discuss placement of the little plaque. The lady
at Michael's framing did NOT want to have anything to do with putting
the plaque on the mat -- no way, no how! She said she **would** do it
but really didn't want to! Needless to say, I went to Susan's and
placed the order for her to do the framing and got the foam core so that
I could mount the piece!

Give yourself a pat on the back. You done good, real good ;-)
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply

Ain`t she just? Time she had some notes of appreciation for taking care of
the last mile.

Don`t forget we should thank Victoria for starting it off in the first
place, whatever has gone on in between (which should, I hope, now be
forgotten).

Pat P

Old June 30th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Pat P wrote:
"anne" wrote in message
[...]

But Pat - SHE wanted her name totally taking off the project - she
demanded it - so I'm sure her name is not connected in any way now - by
her own choosing. Let's not drag up all that crap - it was HER choice
- the project seems to be moving forward quickly now thanks to TIA - so
rejoice in the ones who have actually worked on the project and are
doing all the finishing touches - alot of work has been put into that
by so many. It is on to its way of completion - now that has got to be
a good thing. :-))

Sharon (N.B.)

Old June 30th 06, 10:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Sharon" wrote in message
ups.com...

Pat P wrote:
"anne" wrote in message
[...]

I wasn`t intending to drag up any crap, nonetheless, she DID come up with
the original idea and there`s no getting away from it. She may not need
thanks - but TOUGH! ;-)). Whatever has happened since, it was a great idea.

Pat P