Firehouse Angel Update

Old May 20th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Firehouse Angel Update

Dr. Brat wrote:
Right, but what Dianne and Vic are referring to is when Meredith
dithered over whether to take her to Europe and then decided not to.
Meredith did have her for a very long time, but we got her back, she was
safe, and she moved on.

Elizabeth

Yep -- I had totally forgotten about Meredith's trip to Europe. In
one of the other posts, Lucille posted this info. CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old May 20th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dr. Brat wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
... It was in her possession for many months with no replies to emails and
no way to contact her. That's what I remember.

No replies to emails? When did you email her? You kept saying you had
no way to contact her, so I did and she responded immediately and sent
me the angel. Your memory is really quite bad.

Elizabeth

I think Vic has Meredith mixed up with another stitcher. The Angel
did go MIA for about 6 months and all efforts to contact the stitcher
who had the piece were for naught. CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old May 20th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Firehouse Angel Info -- was Update

Dianne
I found this remark

In the meantime, start a thread about needlework. You'll find
lots of help.

Rather amusing .... over the years i started many Needlework threads,
and found very few , if any at all help .....
But if i posted a non needlework threads i found loads of `help` ...
makes you wonder ,,,,,
mirjam

Dianne

Old May 20th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Caryn i am sure that you and others here , [just like me] have
participated in International , interracial, interfaiths world wide
projects,,,,, And you are right , i have never seen so much fuss done
about those projects, as the participants here did/do. Not that i
belittle your efforts , Not that i suspect your motives , your
devotion etc.... You all meant well , did your parts, stiched sent it
etc,,,, Good for all of you weldone ,, Now please Finnish that thing ,
farme it or don`t frame it ,, Open a site on line with a great picture
of it + all your names + any other info you want to tell the world
about it and .......Be blessed or happy ,,,,,
Good luck
mirjam

HeyPaula wrote:
Oddly enough you're completely discounting the valid points made in
this statement. But you can't seem to look past the author to actually
read what's being said here.

Everyone seems to "remember" FDNY. The folks who are forgotten are the
survivors of the men and women from FDNY who were killed that day. The
other people who are really struggling are the members who survived for
whatever reason: the members of Rescue3 who were off that day, members
of all of the services who called out sick for some reason, and the
handful of members of both the fire dept and police agencies who made
it out of the buildings. Many are dealing not only with PTSD but also
with very real physical problems from being there and breathing in all
of the crap that was in the air. The first have already passed away
from conditions relating to this and I fear there will be all too many
more in the future.

A much more beneficial gesture would be one that could go to help those
people.

Paula,

It's a shame that egos are so heavily involved in this project.

We keep hearing about the 23 people who were involved in this project,
but I can't help but wonder if all 23 actually feel the way Tia Mary
feels, or are they just letting her do what she wants because they've
gotten fed up with how things were handled and walked away.

Victoria did it most vocally, but I wonder if there are others who did
it quietly, without fuss? Confrontation is something many folks try to
avoid (obviously, I'm not that way! lol).

Oh well, let them have their "aren't we great" party here I guess. In
the grand scheme of things the paltry sum needlework would bring
wouldn't help any of the firefighters or their families for long
anyway.

Caryn

Old May 20th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"lizard-gumbo" wrote in message

If I see something that bugs me I comment on it, I have for YEARS.

Then don't be surprised when others do it.

Dianne and Tia Mary could have controlled themselves and ignored my
comments, rather than snipe back at me.

They could have, and have done so in the past. At some point, the
nitpicking for the sake of being pure mean gets the response that was
intended.

Until this last blow-up, I have been continually amazed at the restraint
both Dianne and Tia Mary have shown toward people who just want to poke.

And you, too, could have ignored my comments, but felt compelled to
respond.

That's true. I could have. But someone else said what I have been
feeling: My silence should not be assumed to be acquiescence.

You're mean. You're mean for no reason I can see or dig out of the
archives. You were mean in 1999 when I was on this board, and I have not
seen you be otherwise every time I have ever come back.

And now I've felt compelled to respond to you and keep the ugliness
alive for yet another round? Happy?

No, but I'm quite sure you are.

There are about 6 people that post on this newsgroup regularly now, and
I'm quite sure that a good portion of its previous vitality was snuffed
out by you and your compadres-in-meanness, a bunch of 7-year-old girls in
70-year-old bodies determined to rule the playground by seeing who can
screech the loudest.

LizzieB.
LizardGumbo

LOL! Just think - are you so different?

It IS sad (if unsurprising) to see what started out as a well-intentioned,
respectful and generous project bedevilled with discord, and I hope that
no-one ever reveals that fact to the potential recipients. There`s always
going to be the cry of "Egoist" attached to anyone taking on the job of
organising it - but even if that was the case, without such "Egoists",
without their input, willingness and sheer energy nothing would ever get
done in this life!

I have already made a very small contribution towards the framing, and look
forward to seeing a webshot of the completed work. If there is a press
report on the handing over, I`d love to see a copy of that, too!

Pat P

Old May 21st 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Firehouse Angel: How one of the 23 feels

Exactly.
Old May 27th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Fri, 19 May 2006 08:21:19 -0500, lizard-gumbo
wrote:

major moxie wrote:

What I don't understand is why the people involved in this project did
not keep their communications about it confined to an e-mail group or a
blog or a yahoogroup, etc.

Because people who were NOT involved still have a fondness for the idea
of the project and wanted to know what was happening with it.

Hear, hear! (not "here, here") Because it is, at its most fundamental,
a RCTN group project. Even I have read a great many of the posts on
the project, and I wouldn't touch a MLI with a 10-foot pole, no matter
how noble the cause. And because if anyone's *not* interested in
reading the posts on the project, they're fully welcome to opt out of
those discussions. It's one of the wonders of newsgroups and message
boards: reading all the posts is *not* a requirement for
participation.
Old May 28th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Mon, 15 May 2006 18:06:33 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

As an aside, I couldn't remember how to spell "mat", so I looked up
"matte" and it's some kind of gooey metal. So, I looked up "mat" and
the first definition didn't fit. But below that was: mat, matt, matte
(a mount for pictures). I'll be darned. You can get away with all three.

Matte is a finish. Mat is the colored cardboard used in framing.