Amusing anger management stitching

Old April 24th 05, 06:02 PM
Pat EAXStitch

"scottnh" wrote in message
news:eAPae.3395$Zi.991@fed1read04...
They were funny---worth a look-see and a laugh. My MIL stitched a saying
and hug it over her toilet to be read in the mirror across the room. It
said---Don't confuse effort with accomplishment. As it was stitched
backwards and only could be read while sitting on the WC it was quite

funny.
Clarice AZ?MN

I like that - a bit like the one my VERY prim and proper Godmother had
hanging in the loo saying "The Lord sees you weherever you are!" which
always highly amused me when I was a small girl!

Just to clarify, I am not offended by the "F" word and it does not really
bother me if someone uses it - but I do not LIKE that word, nor use it
except very, VERY rarely in moments of really high stress (when it`s either
that or HIT someone! LOL!) I don`t faint if anyone uses it, but I would
find it a bit offensive if anyone DID have it on their wall, and think that
it`s a slightly odd person who would waste valuable stitching time to
produce something like that. My husband MIGHT use it occasionally - not
often, but none of my kids, nor grandkids use it in front of me, nor would
they tolerate anyone else using it in front of me - not because of anything
I`ve ever said (apart from when THEY were small). It`s called "respect", I
suppose.

I remember that when some Dutch friends visited us, their 15 year old son
told me to "F*** off!" (I think I was laughing with him about something at
the time). I really let really rip at him for that - as did his father, and
it came out that some English boy had told him that that was just a slang
way to say "Go away!!!" Poor kid!

Not "Nerve", Lucille - just bad taste!

Pat P.

Old April 24th 05, 06:45 PM
Lucille

"Pat EAXStitch" wrote in message

"scottnh" wrote in message
[...]

There's a time and place for everything. I did say it was unlikely that I
would hang those saying in any kind of prominent place in my home on the off
chance someone might be offended. I do know how to act ladylike and would
most likely have been surprised by a kid saying that to me, but I have been
known to say something outrageous on occasion, generally just to see what
affect it had on the person it was said to. Never, ever to a kid or where I
thought someone might faint if they heard bad language.

Now having said that--what is your definition of "F*** Off?" Here in the
U.S.A. it does mean "Go Away" so technically the kid did nothing wrong and
possibly deserved an apology. An explanation of why it wasn't an acceptable
way to speak to an adult, but still not incorrect.

Now, having given my lecture for today, I'll just quietly go away.

Lucille

Old April 24th 05, 07:25 PM
Pat EAXStitch

"scottnh" wrote in message
[...]

Well, over here, amongst normal people, it IS considered pretty offensive.
Sad to say it is becoming more and more widely used, even amongst children.
Whereas it used to be pretty much only heard in children and adults of the
lower classes, military, etc., it IS becoming more common. One of the
"benefits" of a classless society?

And yes, it DOES mean "go away". Owed an apology? I think NOT! It still
raises eyebrows in most places over here - even my kids comment if you hear
too much of it from youngsters in the street - or from anyone, come to
that - and it`s for sure that none of us are prudes. Even my son, who spent
14 years in the Royal Marines, and, I`m sure, used it pretty generally
himself, would protest if it was used ad lib in his company, particularly if
he was with a woman.

You will never - EVER see me use it on here, but I don`t die of shock if
anyone else does - I know that most of you are American, and that it isn`t
regarded as all that offensive by many of you. I just put it down to "Oh,
he/she`s American - they just can`t help it!" (Duck ;-)))

Pat P

Old April 24th 05, 08:11 PM
Pat EAXStitch

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message

[...]

I use it fairly regularly, along with some other salty things, and
always have. I'm not American. You have seen me use it on here
when pushed to the limit. I admit I don't generally write it as often
as I say it.

I know you do, and I take it from whence it comes! I wasn`t getting at you,
honestly! LOL!

While I`m having a moan - so many of the films these days seem to use that
word excessively - one day they`ll even set up an Oscar for which film can
get it in most often! It jars.

Pat P

Old April 24th 05, 09:16 PM
Gill Murray

"scottnh" wrote in message

[...]

I really don't quite agree with you, Lucille. I have heard people use it
in that reference, and in their colloquialisms, I guess that is OK. If I
heard one of the grandkids using it in front of me, they would know full
well that Nana was appalled that they had no manners, or linguistic
finesse.
On the same lines, I remember two totally different occasions when the
word "bugger" was used. In UK, in my day, it was a very bad word, and I
heard my prim and proper mother say it to the doctor when he was taking
out stitches, and hurt her. Imagine my distress, when American friends
looked at my first-born, and told me she "was a cute little bugger". I
cried forever. She is still cute at 43, but I don't use the other word.

Gillian
Still relieved that the old bat is leaving soon!!
Old April 24th 05, 09:21 PM
Judy

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
Oh, yeah...that's something I'd really like to stitch to leave around for
posterity. No thanks.

BonnieBlue

I didn't imagine for a moment the OP was suggesting one would stitch
them - just take a look, for a laugh. She warned everyone the
language might prove problematical to some.

There were a couple I might have stitched when I worked and put in the
washroom so we could all get a laugh. I suppose the quote about wine
that I stitched and that is hanging over the wine decanter would be
out too - funny how many people get a laugh from that too.

Sheesh! Seems people prefer to disapprove rather than have a laugh.

Oh, and while we are at it, I don't think that I would want to stitch in
that corset and without an Ott lamp either.
Judy

Old April 24th 05, 09:48 PM
Lucille

"scottnh" wrote in message

[...]

I wasn't suggesting that it's an acceptable thing to say in mixed company,
or that it should be a part of your everyday speech. And I do know the
difference between using foul language because you weren't taught any
better, or using it on occasion because you're exasperated or have some
excuse.

I was merely pointing out that chastising a kid who really didn't know
better because he didn't have a good command of the language for using an
unacceptable word isn't quite fair to him. Teaching him the right words to
use and apologizing for getting so angry when he probably didn't know he was
doing something wrong would make sense to me. Kids really do understand
that people sometimes get angry for what they think is an infraction of the
rules and realize later that they were too quick to judge.

Glad things are going well with (your words) the old bat.

Lucille

Old April 24th 05, 09:52 PM
Sara

Exactly right, I meant just look and laugh. No, I doubt I'd stitch the F
off and hang it up, but I"ll admit I'd consider one of the non-profane ones
to be hung where I'd get the joke, and nobody else would have to exclaim
over how terrible it was. Glad some of you enjoyed the humor I meant by
posting the site!

Sara

Old April 24th 05, 09:53 PM
Sara

If you search Target's site, they sell the "Go Away" kit, though it is
marked up some from the original site. It could be a fun one for hanging on
the doorknob if you'd not like to be disturbed...perhaps while stitching
something with tedious counting lol!

"Ann" wrote in message
I'll admit that I bookmarked the site. I have a really good friend who is
a stitcher and there are a couple of kits that I might get as an "extra"
birthday gift for her this summer.

Ann
http://sheepshots.blogspot.com

Old April 24th 05, 11:18 PM
Pat EAXStitch

"scottnh" wrote in message

[...]

Hmm - even now I`m not convinced that he didn`t know EXACTLY what he was
saying - after all, his father (like many, many Dutch) spoke perfect
English!!! Anyway, this was about 20 years ago!

Pat P

Lucille