Dumb Question Time on Fishing Line

Old November 22nd 03, 03:19 PM
Arondelle

Default Dumb Question Time on Fishing Line

I know it will seem intuitively obvious to long-time beaders, but can I
really put fishing line through a size 12 beading needle and weave with it?

I need some kind of thread that will stand up to more abuse than Nymo
can for amulet bag neck straps. Nymo is OK as long as it doesn't go
anywhere near a metallic bead, but there is the tendancy to split it
when doing multiple passes (more than, say, 3 times) through 11/0 seeds
which weakens it.

I thought I'd bop down to the nearest bait 'n tackle shop and see what I
can find, but I don't want to put out the cash unless I know that I can
needle the stuff.

Also, is fishing line monofilament, braided, cable-laid or flat-plied?
I have a spool of dark green Spider-Wire, and it appears to be braided.

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net
Visit Arondelle's Dream Worlds at: http://www.arondelle.com
Read my Blog: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/arondelle/index.html

Old November 22nd 03, 04:21 PM
roxan

I have used power pro which is a braided fishing line, but you have to get
the right test line. If you want to use it for small beads you will have to
get 8 or 10 pound test or it will be too big to go through a small needle. I
just got 10 pound test this week which goes through a # 10 needle. 10 pound
test works well which 11 beads and smaller Japanese bead which have bigger
holes. Stay away from monofilament line it is not suitable for bead work.
Roxan

Old November 22nd 03, 04:50 PM
Kaytee

In article , Arondelle
writes:

can I
really put fishing line through a size 12 beading needle and weave with it?

The smaller/lower "test" lines can. I usually use #10 needles, and 10# test GSP
line threads up fine, 14# test with some difficulty, and only occasionally can
I force the 24# test in one. The braided lines have a smaller diameter per "#"
than the fused lines.

is fishing line monofilament, braided, cable-laid or flat-plied?

I have a spool of dark green Spider-Wire, and it appears to be braided.

Fishing line can be any of those. SpiderWIRE is braided, as is Fireline.
SpiderLINE "Fusion" is not braided and is less stiff/drapes better than the
braided lines, but seems to be getting phased out (at least at WalMart). I'm
not sure if any GSP lines are cable-laid or flat-plied, but maybe if enough
beaders get into wanting GSP products, those will appear. Spiderline also makes
monofilament lines, so read the label carefully-- the "Super Mono" is very
good, but you'd probably want to limit its use to "illusion necklaces".
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old November 22nd 03, 04:54 PM
mĒdcĒt

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:21:06 -0500, "roxan"
wrote:

holes. Stay away from monofilament line it is not suitable for bead work.

Why exactly? I'm having heaps of trouble finding line that *isn't*
monofilament or flourescent pink! :P

And it's frustrating reading about North American brands of line, as
Australia seems to have a market large enough (it's the nice climate
and aaaall that water!) for all the stuff you see in shops to be
locally-made. ie no American brands are available here :P
Old November 22nd 03, 09:26 PM
BeckiBead

Why exactly? I'm having heaps of trouble finding line that *isn't*
monofilament or flourescent pink! :P

Glad someone said this. Use only "fishing" line that is used for beading, not
the "real" fishing line and I am not sure what I am talking about, but others
are. The monofiliment line stretches and breaks. It is made to stretch and
break, and doesn't hold up well to beading.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old November 22nd 03, 09:34 PM
Carol in SLC

I used to use Fireline - it is a fused fishing line that is easy to thread onto
a needle and the only color I have ever seen it in is black - which worked fine
for everything I made with it. I don't use it anymore though. I use SoftTouch
for lighter pieces and SoftFlex for everything else. It costs more, but I
think it is definitely worth it.

Carol in SLC
My latest creation (11/12): http://members.aol.com/CarolinSLC/rock.jpg
Old November 22nd 03, 09:58 PM
Kaytee

In article , mĒdcĒt
writes:

Stay away from monofilament line it is not suitable for bead work.

Why exactly?

It stretches. It deteriorates.

Many are made to break down when exposed to salt water and/or sunlight-- not
right away, of course, but over time, so to lessen the environmental impact of
"lost" line in our oceans. For awhile, in California at least, sport fishing
boats could carry only this degradable line. Not sure if the law is still in
effect.

Old November 22nd 03, 10:51 PM
Arondelle

BeckiBead wrote:
Glad someone said this. Use only "fishing" line that is used for
beading, not the "real" fishing line and I am not sure what I am
talking about, but others are. The monofiliment line stretches and
breaks. It is made to stretch and break, and doesn't hold up well
to beading.

I was rummaging aroung in my sewing desk and came up with a spool of
"transparent" nylon thread. Naturally, this with fit into even a #13
needle, and I suppose it was designed to take the abuse of being run
through a sewing machine. (I use it for the bobbin thread when I use
metallic thread in decorative stitching.)

It does stretch like crazy, but it springs back like a rubber band. I
wasn't able to break it by hand.

Any thoughts?

Old November 22nd 03, 11:10 PM
BeckiBead

Arondelle -- none. I am not the expert on thread. I only use Soft-Touch and
Soft-Flex, and sometimes waxed linen cord. Other than wire, that is it for me.