OT - needed a good read or two

Old March 1st 04, 10:41 PM
Sampler45

If you haven't read it already, "The DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown is great!
Make sure you have a good art book with you to look up the pictures, etc.
that are mentioned. I've also read his first book "angels and Demons".
That was good too.

Pat in NJ

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Just as above, a new author, a new direction

Too frozen to garden, plenty of stitching time, but need a new "bed time
story".

Mysteries, historicals, futuristic, fantasy...

The best of the most recent

The Sapphire Sea - Robinson
Fairy Godmother- Mercedes Lackey (looked good, is great)

Cheryl

Old March 1st 04, 11:10 PM
Queen City Cross Stitcher

Cheryl,

Have you tried the Seven Waters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier.

Daughter of the forest is book one, Son of the Shadows is book 2 and
Child of Prophecy is Book three. All are now available in paperback or
you can borrow mine. She also has Wolfskin and soon to be released
Foxmask. (I've already have it on preorder.

--
Bobbie V.

Remove the knot with a net to reply

Old March 1st 04, 11:13 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/1/04 6:11 PM, in article fqP0c.93668$Xp.420081@attbi_s54, "Queen City
Cross Stitcher" wrote:

Cheryl,

Have you tried the Seven Waters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier.

Daughter of the forest is book one, Son of the Shadows is book 2 and
Child of Prophecy is Book three. All are now available in paperback or
you can borrow mine. She also has Wolfskin and soon to be released
Foxmask. (I've already have it on preorder.

I'll check the library!

What is your schedule like next week?
Cheryl

Old March 1st 04, 11:49 PM
Caryn

If you haven't read it already, "The DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown is great!
Make sure you have a good art book with you to look up the pictures, etc.
that are mentioned. I've also read his first book "angels and Demons".
That was good too.

I was gonna suggest these books too, am reading "Angels & Demons" because I
tore thru "The DaVinci Code" and wanted more!

Light Fantasy recommendation are the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. Fun
reads, wickedly dry Brit sense of humor/satire.

I read them in order, but most of them stand on their own.

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old March 2nd 04, 12:36 AM
Karen C - California

In article .net, "Sampler45"
writes:

If you haven't read it already, "The DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown is great!

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!

And have a sticky note available to mark the page where the code is, because
you'll want to refer back to it several times.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old March 2nd 04, 12:36 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Cheryl Isaak
writes:

Is she really any good

All I can say is that I've read quite a few Belva Plains and enjoyed them for
their historical quality.

Maeve Binchy if you want to read about Ireland by an Irish author

I read the newest Grisham as soon as it came out.

Andrew Greeley's mysteries, which then got off on a mystical kick -- these I
can re-read time and again, so they stay on my shelves instead of being donated
to the book sale. I swear he writes them faster than I can read them; there
are several I haven't gotten to yet.

For local color:
Karen Kijewski's Kat Colorado mysteries -- Kat's office is located in my
neighborhood. At a book signing, they asked us to neatly print the names on a
piece of paper for her so she'd spell them correctly. While everyone else was
writing, I walked to the head of the line and told her I doubted she'd have any
difficulty spelling either Kat or Karen. The only difficulty was deciding
which she wanted to inscribe to which of us.

Steve Martini's courtroom novels -- Steve also writes good descriptions of
Sacramento, accurate right down to the last crack in the sidewalk behind the
downtown post office

Old March 2nd 04, 12:44 AM
Darla

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:44:29 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Just as above, a new author, a new direction

Too frozen to garden, plenty of stitching time, but need a new "bed time
story".

Mysteries, historicals, futuristic, fantasy...

The best of the most recent

The Sapphire Sea - Robinson
Fairy Godmother- Mercedes Lackey (looked good, is great)

Cheryl

I've heard that there's a new China Bayles (Susan Wittig Albert, with
her DH) out. And I just found out today that the mystery bookstore in
Garden Grove is closing. Bummer!!
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old March 2nd 04, 12:46 AM
Darla

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:21:08 -0500, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

Tom Deitz (I like the Soulsmith series the best, starting
with _Wordwright_)

Is he the one who wrote the series about the kid with the banged-up
knee? It's placed in Georgia, I think. I really enjoyed those; I'll
have to scrounge them out of the garage for a re-read.
Old March 2nd 04, 12:52 AM
Meredith

My very favorite book ever is "A College of Magics" by Caroline
Stevermer. Kind of hard to find, but worth the bother. Her other books
are also pretty good.

Meredith

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 3/1/04 5:04 PM, in article ,
"Meredith" wrote:

Oh, I read Fairy Godmother last week! Loved it. There's also a new one
out by Catherine Asaro which is pretty good.

Liked that one too!
Cheryl

Meredith

Harry and Anita wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
. ..

Just as above, a new author, a new direction

Too frozen to garden, plenty of stitching time, but need a new "bed time
story".

Mysteries, historicals, futuristic, fantasy...

The best of the most recent

The Sapphire Sea - Robinson
Fairy Godmother- Mercedes Lackey (looked good, is great)

Cheryl

I would suggest Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series if you haven't read it
yet. (Just read my first one last week.) Or Roger Zelazny Amber series
(fantasy).

Or if you want some mysteries set in Alaska, try Sue Henry's mysteries.
The first one is called Murder on the Iditarod Trail.

Some fantasy short stories in a great collection are the Chicks in Chainmail
series edited by Esther Friesner. Or our all time favorite fantasy here is
The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. You can get it in an omnibus
edition or three separate books starting with The Sheepfarmer's Daughter.
Actually just about anything by Moon is a good read. There is also the new
Pern novel from Anne & Todd McCafferey.

Anita, who needs to stop now and go back to unpacking boxes.

Good News Jalynne Beads 5 June 11th 04 08:10 AM
OT Good vibes needed Shirley Shone Beads 34 April 29th 04 09:23 PM
Good Weather Vibes needed Beadbimbo Beads 4 November 29th 03 04:15 AM
Marking Read and other stuff Diana Curtis Beads 5 August 13th 03 05:58 PM