OT - needed a good read or two

Old March 1st 04, 07:44 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default OT - needed a good read or two

Just as above, a new author, a new direction

Too frozen to garden, plenty of stitching time, but need a new "bed time
story".

Mysteries, historicals, futuristic, fantasy...

The best of the most recent

The Sapphire Sea - Robinson
Fairy Godmother- Mercedes Lackey (looked good, is great)

Cheryl

Old March 1st 04, 08:39 PM
Harry and Anita

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Just as above, a new author, a new direction

Too frozen to garden, plenty of stitching time, but need a new "bed time
story".

Mysteries, historicals, futuristic, fantasy...

The best of the most recent

The Sapphire Sea - Robinson
Fairy Godmother- Mercedes Lackey (looked good, is great)

Cheryl

I would suggest Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series if you haven't read it
yet. (Just read my first one last week.) Or Roger Zelazny Amber series
(fantasy).

Or if you want some mysteries set in Alaska, try Sue Henry's mysteries.
The first one is called Murder on the Iditarod Trail.

Some fantasy short stories in a great collection are the Chicks in Chainmail
series edited by Esther Friesner. Or our all time favorite fantasy here is
The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. You can get it in an omnibus
edition or three separate books starting with The Sheepfarmer's Daughter.
Actually just about anything by Moon is a good read. There is also the new
Pern novel from Anne & Todd McCafferey.

Anita, who needs to stop now and go back to unpacking boxes.

Old March 1st 04, 09:10 PM
Karen C - California

Just finished the new Belva Plain historical novel

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Fireman's Prayer, Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old March 1st 04, 09:16 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/1/04 4:10 PM, in article ,
"Karen C - California" wrote:

Just finished the new Belva Plain historical novel

Is she really any good - I am afraid of another Danielle Steel look alike.

Cheryl

Old March 1st 04, 09:21 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Just as above, a new author, a new direction

Too frozen to garden, plenty of stitching time, but need a new "bed time
story".

Mysteries, historicals, futuristic, fantasy...

The best of the most recent

The Sapphire Sea - Robinson
Fairy Godmother- Mercedes Lackey (looked good, is great)

Steven Brust
Emma Bull
(or better yet, both together in _Freedom and Necessity_)
Tom Deitz (I like the Soulsmith series the best, starting
with _Wordwright_)
Patricia McKillip (Particularly _The Riddlemaster of Hed_
and _The Forgotten Beasts of Eld_, which are older)
Robin Hobb

I'm sure there are more--have you read any of these?

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 1st 04, 10:04 PM
Meredith

Oh, I read Fairy Godmother last week! Loved it. There's also a new one
out by Catherine Asaro which is pretty good.

Meredith

Old March 1st 04, 10:11 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/1/04 5:04 PM, in article ,
"Meredith" wrote:

Oh, I read Fairy Godmother last week! Loved it. There's also a new one
out by Catherine Asaro which is pretty good.

Liked that one too!
Cheryl

Meredith

Old March 1st 04, 10:33 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 3/1/04 4:21 PM, in article , "Ericka Kammerer"
wrote:

Steven Brust
Emma Bull
(or better yet, both together in _Freedom and Necessity_)
Tom Deitz (I like the Soulsmith series the best, starting
with _Wordwright_)
Patricia McKillip (Particularly _The Riddlemaster of Hed_
and _The Forgotten Beasts of Eld_, which are older)
Robin Hobb

I'm sure there are more--have you read any of these?

None of them - but I did try a newer Patricia McKillip and couldn't get into
it. But I am back in the mood for a fantasy.

Do try the older ones. Her new ones are somewhat
different. The _Riddlemaster_ trilogy was released not
too long ago in an omnibus hardcover edition. The other
one might be a bit of a challenge to find, but it's very,
very good. Her writing is incredibly lyrical.
Steven Brust has several different things going.
There's the Vlad Taltos series that starts with _Jhereg_.
That one is fun--quick, easy reads and a bit swashbuckling.
There are two related series (set earlier in the same world):
the Khaavren series (starting with _The Phoenix Guards_)
and the Viscount of Adrilankha series (starting with
_The Paths of the Dead_). I'd read the Vlad Taltos books
first before the other two series, even though I probably
like the other two a bit better. They're a bit of an
homage to Dumas, which I find hysterically funny, though
some might find the language annoying. He also has some
great standalone books, including _The Sun, The Moon, and
the Stars_, which is one of my alltime favorites.
From Emma Bull, I'm particularly fond of _War for the
Oaks_. Her novel with Steven Brust, _Freedom and Necessity_
is also great. It takes the form of an epistolary novel.
That one took me a little while to get hooked, but after
that it was great.
Robin Hobb has three trilogies out. I'd recommend
reading them in the order they were written, so start
with the Farseer trilogy (starts with _Assassin's Apprentice_),
then the Liveship Traders trilogy (starts with _Ship of Magic_),
then the Tawny Man trilogy (Starts with _Fool's Errand_).
Tom Deitz has several series out, and most (all?) of
them are at least loosely related. They combine Celtic and
Native American mythologies in an interesting way. I really
enjoyed his Soulsmith trilogy (starting with _Wordwright_).
He has a longer series featuring David Sullivan (starts with
_Windmaster's Bane_). I think that one has its ups and
downs, but enjoyable on the whole. His more recent series,
which you'll have an easier time finding, starts with
_Bloodwinter_, I think.
If you want more suggestions, let me know and
I'll go over and look at my bookcases to figure out all
the fabulous authors I've undoubtedly forgotten.

Good luck,
Ericka

Good News Jalynne Beads 5 June 11th 04 08:10 AM
OT Good vibes needed Shirley Shone Beads 34 April 29th 04 09:23 PM
Good Weather Vibes needed Beadbimbo Beads 4 November 29th 03 04:15 AM
Marking Read and other stuff Diana Curtis Beads 5 August 13th 03 05:58 PM