A Poll - Needlework

Old January 18th 04, 07:27 PM
Mira

Please keep your answers direct, otherwise I'll be wading through this
for weeks. grin

The following questionnaire has to do with those who embroider - any
type of embroidery (canvas, cross stitch, what have you).

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

Yes

You have a sewing machine and use it.

Yes

You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.

You don't own a sewing machine, or you do but can't or don't/won't use it.

You know how to hand sew a seam.

Yes

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

Yes

You don't know how to "finish".

I do

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

Thanks for taking part!
Dianne

Old January 18th 04, 07:33 PM
Brenda Lewis

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

Yes, that is why I bought an iron.

You have a sewing machine and use it. You have a sewing machine but
it's buried and you rarely if ever use it. You don't own a sewing
machine, or you do but can't or don't/won't use it.

I have a sewing machine and I'm terrified of it. I've used it exactly once.

You know how to hand sew a seam.

Yes.

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or
more pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges
(like Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of
fabric, etc).

Hmmm, I probably could but I've never tried.

You don't know how to "finish".

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

Yes, it would never get done.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

First, I'd need to add five or six hours to each day, but I don't know
how to do that either.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar--will this blasted thing ever be

Old January 18th 04, 07:46 PM
Felice Friese

Just the facts, ma'am:

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote:

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery. YES

You have a sewing machine and use it. YES

You know how to hand sew a seam. YES

You know how to "finish" a seam? YES

Felice

Old January 18th 04, 07:46 PM
mickey

My answers are below:

--Mickey

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Please keep your answers direct, otherwise I'll be wading through this
for weeks. grin

The following questionnaire has to do with those who embroider - any
type of embroidery (canvas, cross stitch, what have you).

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

Yes

You have a sewing machine and use it.

Yes, I know the "basics"

You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.

No.

You don't own a sewing machine, or you do but can't or don't/won't use it.

No.

You know how to hand sew a seam.

Nope. Unfortunately.

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

Not a clue.

You don't know how to "finish".

Not sure exactly what this means, so I gues I don't. ;-)

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

No. I have hemmed things before, and I have made a few rudimentary
attempts at making clothes for myself. I am also working on a project
to be made into a pillow.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

I would like to learn more about construction. I'm probably below a
"novice" at this!

Thanks for taking part!
Dianne

--Mickey
Mansfield, MA

to reply, remove "nospam"
mickey18385 at yahoo dot com

Old January 18th 04, 07:49 PM
georg

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Please keep your answers direct, otherwise I'll be wading through this
for weeks. grin

The following questionnaire has to do with those who embroider - any
type of embroidery (canvas, cross stitch, what have you).

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

I own an iron, but it's for quilting.

You have a sewing machine and use it.

Yes, but it doesn't do embroidery. I own 2. I use the new machine often,
but prefer to sew by hand.

You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.

My older machine is rarely used. I own 2 sewing machines.

You don't own a sewing machine, or you do but can't or don't/won't use it.

Nope.

You know how to hand sew a seam.

Yes.

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

Yes, I like French seaming.

You don't know how to "finish".

I finish.

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

That depends on what it is, and if it's supposed to need finishing. I
rarely buy anything off the ready-to-wear rack that I am going to need
to alter.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

I make clothes and other things without patterns. Often.

-georg

Old January 18th 04, 07:51 PM
CrossStitchGal

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

Yes

You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.

Yes

You know how to hand sew a seam.

Yes, but probably not "properly". Never been formally shown.

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

No

You don't know how to "finish".

This question is vague to me. Finish what? I can make my own pillows, bell
pulls, hankies, etc. and I top stitch to secure seams at times but I don't make
flat felled seams or embellished seams.

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,such as

hemming, seaming.
Yes, I do. Just not often.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

If you mean clothing, I do know how.

--
Happy Stitching!
Kathy :-)
Old January 18th 04, 07:52 PM
FKBABB

I own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

I have a sewing machine but don't use it if I can help it.

I know how to hand sew a seam.

I know and have done several types of seam finishing.

I know several methods of finishing, but am always interested in more. I
particularly like things that don't require machine sewing and where the
embroidery doubles as a construction stitch (i.e., hemstitching, braid stitch
joins).

Annie
Old January 18th 04, 08:07 PM
Russ92373

The following questionnaire has to do with those who embroider - any
type of embroidery (canvas, cross stitch, what have you).

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery. YES

You have a sewing machine and use it. YES

You know how to "finish" a seam? NO...if you mean decorative finishing.

You never purchase anything that need to be constructed in some way such as
hemming, seaming. TRUE...although I know how to hem.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how. In the past I
have sewn my own clothes but don't do it any longer.

Margaret in Illinois

Old January 18th 04, 08:22 PM
Rhea

Subject: A Poll - Needlework
From: Dianne Lewandowski
Date: 1/18/2004 12:27 PM Eastern Standard Time

Okay here goes. I'm a cross stitcher exclusively and I use aida exclusively.

Please keep your answers direct, otherwise I'll be wading through this
for weeks. grin

The following questionnaire has to do with those who embroider - any
type of embroidery (canvas, cross stitch, what have you).

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

I have an iron that I use specifically for my cross stitch.

You have a sewing machine and use it.

I don't own a sewing machine and have never used one.

You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.

You don't own a sewing machine, or you do but can't or don't/won't use it.

You know how to hand sew a seam.

Yes, I know how to hand sew a seam.

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

no

You don't know how to "finish".

I don't finish my cross stitch.

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

I never purchase items/kits that needs to be constructed in some way other than
pillows that I can put my piece of cross stitching inside of them. The pillows
are always finished.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

I don't have the desire to learn how to construct.

Rhea from KY

Thanks for taking part!
Dianne

Rhea from KY, USA