A Poll - Needlework

Old January 18th 04, 05:27 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Default A Poll - Needlework

Please keep your answers direct, otherwise I'll be wading through this
for weeks. grin

The following questionnaire has to do with those who embroider - any
type of embroidery (canvas, cross stitch, what have you).

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

You have a sewing machine and use it.

You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.

You don't own a sewing machine, or you do but can't or don't/won't use it.

You know how to hand sew a seam.

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

You don't know how to "finish".

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

Thanks for taking part!
Dianne

Old January 18th 04, 06:22 PM
Jenn Liace

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:27:06 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

Yes

You have a sewing machine and use it.

Haven't lately but want to get back to it

You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.

See above

You don't own a sewing machine, or you do but can't or don't/won't use it.

See above

You know how to hand sew a seam.

Know how but would rather not

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

Not really

You don't know how to "finish".

Need further explanation of your definition of "finish". (keeping it
short LOL)

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

No

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

Again, need further explanation

Jenn L.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Current projects:
Simply Sensational January Calendar (Mill Hill)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old January 18th 04, 06:28 PM
Linda D.

wrote:

Please keep your answers direct, otherwise I'll be wading through this
for weeks. grin

The following questionnaire has to do with those who embroider - any
type of embroidery (canvas, cross stitch, what have you).

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

Yes

You have a sewing machine and use it.

Yes

You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.

I use it all the time.

You don't own a sewing machine, or you do but can't or don't/won't use it.

I use it all the time

You know how to hand sew a seam.

Yes

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

Yes

You don't know how to "finish".

Yes, I do know how to finish.

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

I usually sew garments from scratch, but always have to hem slacks.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

Yes, I know how to construct and have taken designing, and tailoring
as well.

Thanks for taking part!
Dianne

Vancouver Island, bc.ca (remove 'nospam' to reply)
See samples of my work at: www.members.shaw.ca/deugau

Old January 18th 04, 06:35 PM
Bertha

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:27:06 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
muttered something like:

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

Yes, and sometimes.

You have a sewing machine and use it.

Sometimes, mostly for hemming.

You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.
You don't own a sewing machine, or you do but can't or don't/won't use it.

You know how to hand sew a seam.

I can sew a seam, but I don't know if the way I do it is how it should
actually be done.

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

Can use a chain stitch to join fabric; don't know what any of the others
are.

You don't know how to "finish".

Can do a few simple ones like nun stitch, buttonhole stitch, simple hems.

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

I might purchase it, but then it would probably sit around not getting
done.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

I can fumble my way through it but I wouldn't mind knowing how it's done
by people who know what they're doing.

-Bertha
--
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing, bees are
trying to have sex with them -- as is my understanding." -- Bart Simpson
Old January 18th 04, 06:41 PM
Dukkum

The following questionnaire has to do with those who embroider - any
type of embroidery (canvas, cross stitch, what have you).

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

I do own an iron, and I do use it.

You have a sewing machine and use it.

I do have a sewing machine, and I do use it.
You know how to hand sew a seam.

I can hand sew a seam. I don't like to, but I can.

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

I don't do this sort of hand sewing. I suppose I can, I just don't.

You don't know how to "finish".

I know how.

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

I'm always trying to figure out a way to change things, do them more
inexpensively or differently.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

It'd be nice to know how to make my own patterns.

Thanks for taking part!
Dianne

You're welcome.

Jere
Old January 18th 04, 06:51 PM
Dr. Brat

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Please keep your answers direct, otherwise I'll be wading through this
for weeks. grin

The following questionnaire has to do with those who embroider - any
type of embroidery (canvas, cross stitch, what have you).

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

Yes

You have a sewing machine and use it.

Two, actually: can't seem to give up my old (1938) Singer but have a
newer model for zigzagging.

You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.

You don't own a sewing machine, or you do but can't or don't/won't use it.

You know how to hand sew a seam.

Yes.

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

I know how to French seam, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

You don't know how to "finish".

You never purchase anything that needs to be constructed in some way,
such as hemming, seaming.

Time is the issue here. I purchase these things, but I don't get them done.

You'd like to be able to "construct", but you don't know how.

Thanks for taking part!
Dianne

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old January 18th 04, 06:55 PM
fran

wrote:

Please keep your answers direct, otherwise I'll be wading through this
for weeks. grin

The following questionnaire has to do with those who embroider - any
type of embroidery (canvas, cross stitch, what have you).

You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.

Yes

You have a sewing machine and use it.

Yes, and the *&(*^ thing broke down today!!!! (It's only 15 years
old, ya know)

You know how to hand sew a seam.

Unfortunately, yes

You know how to "finish" a seam? (Finishing is using some type of
decorative or hand sewing stitch to close up seams or attach two or more
pieces of fabric. This question is not about buttonhole edges (like
Hardanger or cutwork) but more at things like faggoting, hand
overcasting/seaming, using a chain stitch to join two pieces of fabric,
etc).

Yup

Thanks for taking part!
Dianne

Old January 18th 04, 07:01 PM
Jan Lennie

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
You own an iron and use it for your embroidery.Yes
You know how to hand sew a seam.Yes
You have a sewing machine but it's buried and you rarely if ever use it.Yes
You know how to "finish" a seam?Yes

Take care
Jan

Old January 18th 04, 07:15 PM
Boohoo1971

1. I own and use an iron for embroidery and other things
2. I own and use my sewing machine.
3.I use my sewing enough so it stays on a table.
4.I know quite well how to hand sew a seam
5.I know how to finish a seam, also French seams, faggoting, and chain stitch
to join two pieces of fabric.
6. I finish pillows, ornaments, etc. Haven't found anything I was not able to
finish.
7. If something needs some construction I don't get it because it is badly
made, but I would be able to fix anything like that.
8. I've used Vogue patterns so thing I could construct almost anything. Boo