string cutting of bottles

Old June 1st 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Cydrome Leader

Default string cutting of bottles

I want to cut a bottle.

I've spoken to people who used the alcohol/string technique, and read
stuff on the internet about it, but cannot get it to work.

The descriptions of how to do it are vague at best when it comes to how
much string to use, or what type, and how saturated it must be.

How are you supposed to hold the bottle when it's burning? How long it
should this burning process take? Is a gentle blue flame (with alcohol)
too weak, do I need a raging inferno?

Old June 1st 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Cydrome Leader

Chemo the Clown wrote:

Go to Michaels and buy a bottle cutter. I think they're around $30

I want to use the burning string method.
Old June 2nd 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Firth

Go to this web link and see my tests of various methods. I do not believe
alchohol can be made to work, as it evaporates too quickly, kerosene does
and leaves a sooty, easily removed deposit. Kerosene is commonly available
in as small as pint cans in paint department thinner collections if you have
no other access.
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/bottle.htm
And if the information on the page is not specific enough, e-mail me with
your questions.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website