Mad guy trying to make a bee veil

Old August 14th 05, 05:22 PM
jonisin jonisin is offline
Junior Member

Smile Mad guy trying to make a bee veil

I'm trying to make a bee veil and I'm stuck on how to stitch the elastic round where it will go over my head and be tight around my neck. I haven't sewn the hat part onto the sides yet so I have a sort of tube.

I have access to a sewing machine but it only has the basic foot, so only simple sitches can be done.

I have tried to do a running hand stitch all the way round and then pulled it to create the smaller circumference but I cant see how I can sew the elastic in easily.

I'm sure there must be a simple way of doing this but its got me beat.

I asked the bees but they didn't know either.

Can anyone help with this problem or better still does anyone know how best to do the whole thing as I'm sure I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill with what I thought was a simple hat with a bit added on.

Thanks
Old August 14th 05, 10:36 PM
Kate Dicey

jonisin wrote:

I'm trying to make a bee veil and I'm stuck on how to stitch the elastic
round where it will go over my head and be tight around my neck. I
haven't sewn the hat part onto the sides yet so I have a sort of tube.

I have access to a sewing machine but it only has the basic foot, so
only simple sitches can be done.

I have tried to do a running hand stitch all the way round and then
pulled it to create the smaller circumference but I cant see how I can
sew the elastic in easily.

I'm sure there must be a simple way of doing this but its got me beat.

I asked the bees but they didn't know either.

Can anyone help with this problem or better still does anyone know how
best to do the whole thing as I'm sure I'm making a mountain out of a
mole hill with what I thought was a simple hat with a bit added on.

Thanks

How I'd do it:

Cut a rectangle of veiling: make the length the circumference of the hat
plus 1", and the width the finished width you want plus 2".

Using a half inch seam allowance, sew up the seam to make a tube...

Sew a 1" hem in the bottom of the veil and thread the elastic through.

Turn about half an inch in on the top, and pin then sew it to the
outside edge of the hat brim, right close to the edge, on the under side.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 15th 05, 12:04 AM
Trish Brown

Kate Dicey wrote:
jonisin wrote:

[...]

I'd do it exactly as Kate describes, but instead of turning up a hem and
threading the elastic through, I'd sew on a one or two inch strip of
cotton fabric to the bottom edge and turn that up to thread the elastic
through. Considering where it's going to be situated, the bottom edge
will suffer a good bit of friction and may wear out. You could use a
roll of bias tape or hem binding tape for this purpose (both easily
obtained at any sewing counter).

HTH,

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old August 15th 05, 06:33 AM
joy beeson

To make a really-drastic change in circumference, you might
want a drawstring instead of elastic.

Make sure the veiling does not come into contact with your
head at any point, no matter what you do while wearing the
veil. My veil was a tube of wire screening with netting
sewn to top and bottom. (It was worn over a hat.) I'm
pretty sure it didn't draw up around the neck, but I can't
remember what it did instead.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbeeson59...HSEW/ROUGH.HTM

Old August 18th 05, 04:44 PM
Kathy Morgan

joy beeson wrote:

To make a really-drastic change in circumference, you might
want a drawstring instead of elastic.

Make sure the veiling does not come into contact with your
head at any point, no matter what you do while wearing the
veil. My veil was a tube of wire screening with netting
sewn to top and bottom. (It was worn over a hat.) I'm
pretty sure it didn't draw up around the neck, but I can't
remember what it did instead.

Mine had a very large circumference, and was quite long, with a LONG
drawstring at the bottom, so the netting could come down to the
shoulders, with the drawstring looping under the arms and back up
through a tab at the front. The result was netting that dropped down
from the hat brim to the shoulders and somewhat down in the front and
back, keeping the netting well away from the neck and head.

--
Kathy - help for new users at http://www.aptalaska.net/~kmorgan/
Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval at http://www.gnksa.org/