Wilma in Florida

Old October 24th 05, 08:06 PM
Pat P

Default Wilma in Florida

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
Just hearing a forecast it sounds like Florida has a real power outage
going down now. They said it might be 'several weeks' to repair it
all. Wondering how our Florida people are doing ? I haven't heard
anything from Lucille so might try 'phoning her tonight to see whats
happening.

Are they overdramatising again? They said several DAYS on our News 24.

Pat P

Old October 24th 05, 09:14 PM
Jenn Ridley

"Pat P" wrote:

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
.. .
Just hearing a forecast it sounds like Florida has a real power outage
going down now. They said it might be 'several weeks' to repair it
all. Wondering how our Florida people are doing ? I haven't heard
anything from Lucille so might try 'phoning her tonight to see whats
happening.

Are they overdramatising again? They said several DAYS on our News 24.

Depends on how many power lines and substations went down and where.
It could take weeks. It could take days. They won't know until they
get out and actually look at the damage. And in some cases, they'll
need to clear the roads before they can assess the damage.

If a high voltage line got taken out, that has to be fixed before the
power can be turned on. If a substation got flooded, that's got to be
dried out and repaired before they can start running power through it.
If the damage was mostly local distribution lines being taken out by
high winds and falling trees, there's a lot of little fiddly repairs
that have to be done.

(Besides, if they say 12 days to get power back and it takes 13 to get
power back to everyone, people complain. A lot. If they say 14 days
and take the same 13 days, people don't complain nearly as much.)
--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Morning Glory, NoshiRibbons, TicTacToe Sampler, Emperor's Coat II