Help - Machine will only go in reverse

Old October 28th 05, 10:57 PM
ladysailor

Default Help - Machine will only go in reverse

This looks like a busy group, I hope someone here can help me out.

I just pulled out my two year old Brother XR-65 to make a new winch
cover for our boat and found I only have reverse. The last time I used
the machine was about 6 months ago and all was fine then. The boat
lives on our boat in Puerto Vallarta where it can get very hot and damp
in the summer but I keep the machine fairly well insulated and so far I
don't see any rust or warp due to the weather here.

Has anybody here had this type of problem with this type of machine?
I'm hopeful that someone can suggest an easy fix I could do myself.

Barb
www.sailinglinks.com

Old October 28th 05, 11:12 PM
marbles_2

I used to have some kind of Brother sewing machine in the past, and it
seems that reverse happened when you pushed the center of the round
dial thingy (stitch length regulator?? I don't remember). Maybe some
button/lever has been pushed and then frozen stuck (although I guess it
wouldn't be frozen in Puerto Vallarta.....) and just needs a little
nudging back.

Hope you get it figured out soon!

Annie

Old October 28th 05, 11:52 PM
ladysailor

This machine has a lever that you have to press and hold to go in
reverse. You are probably right that when I pressed it to start my
locking back stitch the mechanism inside the machine got stuck. The
lever still goes up and down but the machine is still running backwards
when the lever is in the forward position.

Bummer, guess I'll have to pull out my handy screw driver and start
figuring out how to take this thing apart. I've checked the manual
but it's worthless for trouble shooting and so far I haven't found
anything on the web that could show me what exactly I'm suppose to be
looking for.

Anybody else have a suggestion of where I could find some info on how
to fix this?

Barb
www.sailinglinks.com

Old October 29th 05, 01:17 AM
ladysailor

Yikes! That poor singer is a sad sight to see. It makes me worry
about my old singer at our house on the Oregon Coast.

The boat sewing machine has never been serviced, it's only two years
old, but tomorrow I'm planning on tearing into it. I've found several
web sites that offer some info as to what to do and I'm guessing the
elements here have been working against me. My husband suggests I
spray some Tri-Flow (a Teflon based lubricant) on the innards of the
machine but I'm a bit hesitant to do that. He uses it on everything
around here to keep the boat functioning. He also suggested I give the
sewing machine a good whack. Arrggg...

I think that once I get the machine fixed I'll figure out a way to keep
it sealed up with a desiccant packet inside.

Thanks for the info Irene.

Barb
www.sailinglinks.com

Old October 29th 05, 02:41 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Put your chair on the other side of the machine.

Ragmop/Sandy--had a '67 Rambler Rebel that would only
go in reverse; was okay until I wanted to leave the parking
lot...
oups.com...

Old October 29th 05, 03:14 AM
ladysailor

Thanks Irene, I really appreciate your vote of confidence. I'll let
you know how things turn out.

Barb
www.sailinglinks.com

Old October 29th 05, 03:17 AM
ladysailor

Hahahahaaaaaa..... I actually thought about that!

Barb
www.sailinglinks.com

Old October 29th 05, 04:20 AM
Kate T.

You caught me totally off guard with you answer and when the vision
passed through my mind I just about choked on coffee and give my 'puter
a bath.

I'm sitting here in tears from laughing to hard. No laughing at the
problem but jumping up and pulling the chair to the back of the machine
and it sewing perfectly.

A-a-h-h-h, it's late and I'm tired.

Kate T.

Old October 29th 05, 12:49 PM
Polly Esther

Awww, Kate. That's been going on for years. We gave DD our bunged up old
Pfaff when she asked for a piece of sewing machine for her mending (rare)
and weird creations (duffle bag for tent stakes) sort of stitching.
DD says it only sews backwards so she sits on the other side. It really
can be done.
Of course, that Pfaff has been under 4 feet of sewage and industrial
slime from Katrina. I have a Viking 990 that I think is sturdy enough for
her idea of heavy duty stitching - but first, she needs nice things like a
floor. Right now, they have army blankets duct-taped down to subflooring
for warmth and to keep out critters. Polly

oups.com...

Old October 29th 05, 04:04 PM
Christina in Ok

sounds like it needs a oil job, check your book for oil points.
" Ellison" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Euro-Pro or Craft-N-Sew Sewing Machine Catherine K. Needlework 2 August 25th 05 11:56 AM
RCTQ FAQ August 2005 frood Quilting 2 August 2nd 05 02:57 PM
RCTQ FAQ for June 2005 frood Quilting 5 June 4th 05 03:42 AM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 2nd 04 11:47 PM
Need help/tips learning Free-Motion Quilting Pat S Quilting 70 June 22nd 04 10:27 PM