triangles, dratted things

Old October 28th 05, 02:03 AM
Cheryl in Oz

Default triangles, dratted things

Oh poor Martha!

If you have already cut all the triangles try using a little spray starch or
fabric conditioner to "stabilise" the triangles, but be careful not to
distort them when PRESSING (note - NOT ironing LOL)

If you haven't cut them all switch to the HST method described by the
others already - much easier!

Also - if you even need quarters squares there is a formula for doing them
too. Just ask!

--

Cheryl
cawaites@netconnectDOTcomDOTau

"Martha" wrote in message
m...
I am piecing my first quilt that uses triangles to make squares, and
already I am thinking how much better mannered squares are!

How do I get the triangles not to stretch, move in seam allowance, or
otherwise fuss at me when I try to sew them into squares? Would a
walking foot help, do you think?

The triangles are cut so that the long edge is bias, which is the
problem of course. The bias edges will be inside the block when I'm
done [Friendship Star].

Members of this group have always been so helpful!

TIA!

Martha

Old October 28th 05, 10:13 PM
Sally Swindells

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:03:41 +1000, "Cheryl in Oz"
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau wrote:

Oh poor Martha!

If you have already cut all the triangles try using a little spray starch or
fabric conditioner to "stabilise" the triangles, but be careful not to
distort them when PRESSING (note - NOT ironing LOL)

If you haven't cut them all switch to the HST method described by the
others already - much easier!

Also - if you even need quarters squares there is a formula for doing them
too. Just ask!

I always do the HST way (why do I always see HRT?!) but don't think I
know the formula for quarter squares - I just bodge through them!.

Please can you enlighten.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~
Old October 28th 05, 10:31 PM
Donna in Idaho

Cut the two squares of fabric 1" bigger than the finished size of the HST
block. 5" for 4" finished, 4" for 3" finished, etc. After you've sewn and
cut your blocks, trim to 4 1/2", 3 1/2", etc.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old October 28th 05, 10:40 PM
Julia in MN

Sally Swindells wrote:
I always do the HST way (why do I always see HRT?!) but don't think I
know the formula for quarter squares - I just bodge through them!.

For half-square triangles, I cut my squares 1" bigger than the finished
size and trim after stitching. For example, if I want HST that finish to
4", I cut 5" squares, mark the diagonal, stitch 1/4" from both sides of
the mark, cut, press, and trim to 4-1/2", to allow for joining to
another piece.

For quarter-square triangles, I cut the squares 1-3/8" to 1-1/2" bigger
than the finished size. If you are more precise than I am, you 1-1/4"
should be enough, but that doesn't allow anything for trimming.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 28th 05, 11:54 PM
Sally Swindells

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:40:52 -0500, Julia in MN
wrote:

Sally Swindells wrote:
I always do the HST way (why do I always see HRT?!) but don't think I
know the formula for quarter squares - I just bodge through them!.

For half-square triangles, I cut my squares 1" bigger than the finished
size and trim after stitching. For example, if I want HST that finish to
4", I cut 5" squares, mark the diagonal, stitch 1/4" from both sides of
the mark, cut, press, and trim to 4-1/2", to allow for joining to
another piece.

For quarter-square triangles, I cut the squares 1-3/8" to 1-1/2" bigger
than the finished size. If you are more precise than I am, you 1-1/4"
should be enough, but that doesn't allow anything for trimming.

Julia in MN

Thank you, thank you - the penny has dropped - no more bodges! Its so
obvious isn't it - too obvious for my brain. (though with a complete
lack of spatial awareness I can see how I wouldn't 'get it'!) I've
just done it with little squares of paper and a stapler (computer and
sewing aren't near together!)

So you do the HST using a bigger size square than normal, then put the
two squares you have just made together, and do exactly the same again
- and you have 4 divisions (ie quarters.)

Oh dear, oh dear, what shall I do with me! and I have been avoiding
patterns with quartered squares but enjoying thos with 1/2 squares. Oh
dear oh dear, I do feel silly!
--
Silly Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old October 29th 05, 12:20 AM
Cheryl in Oz

To the required finished size add 7/8" for HSTs, and 1.25" for QSTs.

Like many others here I tend to add a bit extra and trim. I am a lazy
quilter and find the time I have to put into the extra trimming is usually
less than the time I would have had to put in to fixing my "mistakes".

(Mistakes! Does anyone here make mistakes! No! No! They are "challenges
for identifying new methods of construction"! LOL)

Old October 29th 05, 02:00 AM
Cheryl in Oz

No - not silly. Never silly. Just "unfamiliar with that particular
method". Any one who can assemble hundreds of pieces of fabric into a
magnificent finished quilt could never be described as "silly".

If you use the method a lot of us use and cut a bit bigger and trim after,
just remember to measure OUT FROM THE CENTRE OF THE BLOCK to trim the QSTs
(doesn't matter for the HSTs as there is only one seam).

So if you want 4" finished QSTs and you cut your starting squares at - oh,
say 5.5" instead of 5.25" (that will allow you some trim to straighten your
edges) you would trim to 2.25" out in all four directions from the centre
point of the pieced block (2" plus seam).

Old October 29th 05, 02:26 AM
Donna in Idaho

Default triangles, dratted things part 2

To trim a HST, use a ruler that has a 45 degree line on it. Line it up with
the center diagonal seam of your HST block. Slide the ruler down so that the
corner of the ruler lines up as evenly as possible with the corner of your
block, but keep the 45 degree line on the seam. You will sometimes be
trimming on all four sides. Often times it will line up well enough that
you only have to trim two sides.

Check out our website and you'll know all about Project Linus!
www.LinusIdaho.org. We make blankets for kids who need a hug because of
illness, injury, abuse, or other trauma.

--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

"Martha" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"Donna in Idaho" (remove spam) wrote:

Cut the two squares of fabric 1" bigger than the finished size of the HST
block. 5" for 4" finished, 4" for 3" finished, etc. After you've sewn
and
cut your blocks, trim to 4 1/2", 3 1/2", etc.
--

This is going to sound dumb, but that's life:

HOW do you trim?

I mean, I just did an HST 4 inch square, planning to trim it to 3.5
inches [finished size 3 in], and now realize that I have to trim it on
different edges different amounts, and I DON'T know what I'm doing!

HELP!

TIA!

Martha

PS What's Linusproject?

Old October 29th 05, 09:51 AM
Jessamy

Listen to the Master!

Do as she said and it will be perfect.. forget and you get funny off
cantered QST's.... ummmm .. a quilt with all the QST's off centred might
look good.....

--
Jessamy (guess who forgot that one earlier today? yup moi!)
In The Netherlands