Discussion topic: Aggrevating/irritating projects

Old July 17th 03, 07:59 AM

Default Discussion topic: Aggrevating/irritating projects

Hi group!
What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
Noreen**

Old July 17th 03, 12:20 PM
Carol in TN

Don't have an answer for this one. Will have to think about it. Or maybe
someone else's answer will force me to remember what I have obviously pushed
to the back of my mind.
Carol in TN

Old July 17th 03, 02:05 PM
Karen

wrote in message
Hi group!
What project currently or in recent memory drove you nuts?
Hugs,
Noreen

**I personally don't have an answer, I need to think about it.
Noreen**

One of my early projects, and it was irritating only because I was a
bonehead.

I was making a beret style hat out of Trendsetter Savvy. It required DPNs
which I had never used before, but I had a pattern. The instructions said
cast on all the stitches and then split them into the three DPNs, and join,
and then knit off of each one. It didn't say anything about a working
needle. So I cast on something like 45 stitches -- split them into 15 on
each needle; and then knitted the stitches on Needle 1 with Needle 3 --
which already had 15 stitches on it. So I ended up with 30 stitches on
needle 3, and then would manually move the first 15 that were on there onto
another needle. And kept on like that. It got even worse when it came to
decreasing, and there were only a few stitches left on each needle, and I
was working with 7" needles. I was ready to toss the whole thing out,
except that the yarn had been awfully expensive.

Believe it or not, I finished the entire hat that way -- and it's wearable.
Not too much later, I was in the LYS and saw one of the women explaining to
someone how to use DPNs and use the working needle to knit the stitches off,
and I felt like an idiot.

Other irritating project -- a pair of socks in Fortissima Colori --
frustrating, because I am used to making them in worsted weight yarn, and
the Colori keeps splitting, and I have trouble working with something that
thin.

Karen

Old July 17th 03, 03:39 PM
NoraBalcer

One project comes to mind real quick. I have a tapestry picture that is now on
the closet shelf. Maybe after I have cataract surgery I'll be able to see the
little holes better and be able to get it done. The picture is "The Minuet" and
is 45x20. It's supposed to go on our living room wall if I ever get it done.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 17th 03, 04:27 PM
Deb

I was working up some floral crosses someone ordered from me that
drove me nuts. It wasn't hard to crochet, but I don't sew and I
needed to sew the flowers, stems and leaves onto the crosses - not fun
for me!

Deb
http://www.debsdesktop.com
http://www.debsbookshelf.com
http://www.pineappleplaza.com

Old July 17th 03, 07:17 PM
Brian D

Hi the

Just off the top of my head I can only think of one project that drove me
nuts. Someone ordered 3 sweaters from me, 1 adult size and 2 child sizes.
They were the round needle fairisle pattern type which is far from difficult
but.......all three were the same colour/ same pattern.......ughhhh! I was
so glad when they were finished. The only thing that kept my interest was
the payment at the end lol!
No doubt as I think about this I'll come up with something that really
tested my crafty brain.
Wishing you all the best!

Donna from Ontario, Canada

Old July 17th 03, 07:18 PM
Laurie

Ugh, I know which one I threw down more than a few times. I was
crocheting with Patons pixie yarn. Fuzzy, cute, but the thread is
very thin. I would go to crochet in a stitch and all the fuzz hid the
yarn. I would pull it apart and look and look and even kind of stab
my hook in there hoping to find the stitch.

Now ask me why I'm doing another sweater in it? All that frustration
and it turned out SO cute!

yes, I took pictures and will put them up...

Laurie
Washougal, WA
Old July 17th 03, 07:49 PM
Allaya Diep

I would have to say that my difficult project was a crocheted pineapple
shawl from Knit It! last year, I think. Beautiful, beautiful wrap...I had
some lovely rayon thread to make it...

But this was the first time I've EVER done a pineapple, so it was a little
challenging, to say the least. The first frustraion was just starting it.
I must have started that darned thing 10 times before I figured out what the
heck they were talking about. After that, it was smooth sailing...until I
came to one of the last repeats...

My friends and I have deemed this a cursed project...every time I pick it up
to finish it, I make a mistake in the SAME place every time, and have to
unravel it back to where it used to be. So it now lays unfinished in my
fiber cabinet, waiting until one day I get up enough patience to get this
thing done! LOL

Allaya