english paper piecing vs ordinary hand piecing

Old July 11th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default english paper piecing vs ordinary hand piecing

I am looking for advice/opinions on whether/when it is necessary to use
English paper piecing as opposed to regular hand piecing.

I'm thinking about doing a quilt of half hexagons - it will be a
take-along project (I'll be at camp for 2 weeks with no responsibility
for kids after 5pm!).

I thought I'd use English paper piecing for this, but wonder if it is
needed at all? Jinny Beyer says in her book that she thinks that when
working with regular quilting cottons, it is a waste of time - at least
that is how I read it.

I intend to use only regular quilting cottons. But of course, all those
bias edges in zip lock bags are a bit scary, and the units might keep
their shapes better if I use English paper piecing?

Does anyone have any experience on this?

I've never done English paper piecing before, but I can do a reasonable
seam using regular hand piecing.

Thanks,
Hanne in London
Old July 11th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Hanne, I will say again-- Inklingo. Wonderful program. The first disk
has hexes, half hexes and more. Lots of shapes. You print onto your
fabric with your ink jet printer, both cutting lines and stitching
lines. (Iron washed fabric onto freezer paper to put through the printer.)
Go to Linda Franz's website, www.lindafranz.com ,and there is a video
about Inklingo.

I love the program. easy, fast and so convenient. No hand marking of
seam lines, and so on.

Not associated, but a very happy, satisfied customer.

Pati, in Phx who also has a half hex/hex project in mind. G When I
finish the hexagon project that I am working on.
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old July 11th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

take this knowing i'm only half coherent at this point in the day...
i've EPP the units of a bird together, then interfaced it to applique down.
ya can EPP 'bout anything that takes your fancy.
half hex's can be cut from strips making that part easy, just gotta have the
right angle, dont ask me what that is, too much for my brain now to work
out, has to be easy enough tho and i'm sure if you cant, some one else here
can tell ya.
that'd work with paper cutting too, strips, mark, cut, EPP, join, voila.
you quilt, therefore you can do anything. just go for it.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Hanne Gottliebsen" wrote...

Old July 12th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Here's Butterfly's quilt, full of hexagons.
http://tinyurl.com/2nljl2

When I received the top it was partially completed, rather
irregular in shape; she included a baggie of hexagons to continue
w/ the piecing. I made a template from one of those hexagons
and cut out a few hundred more (reproduction fabrics are great!)
Pieced them together (watch the seam allowance carefully)
by my regular hand-piecing process,
no English paper piecing necessary. Because I said so. g
I think it turned out pretty well; so does Mz. B.

Bias edges? Yeah, there were some. g But they're very small
and they piece just like any other cut fabric. ;-)

Do a trial piece; see if you like it.

Good luck!

R/Sandy -- btw, I made enough hexagons to go around the edge twice
& then trimmed them for a straight edge

Old July 12th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Half-hexagons don't require any Y-seams. You can seam the non-parallel
sides into long strips and then sew the strips together. That is how
Sara Nephew's "Bubbles" quilt is assembled:
http://www.sewandquilt.com/design/project/bubbles.html

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old July 12th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I'm so glad you showed us that, Julia.
I have been thinking of half-hexagons - halved the other way. Eek!
..
In message , Julia in MN
writes
Half-hexagons don't require any Y-seams. You can seam the non-parallel
sides into long strips and then sew the strips together. That is how
Sara Nephew's "Bubbles" quilt is assembled:
http://www.sewandquilt.com/design/project/bubbles.html

Julia in MN

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 12th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Wonderful! Busy but Wonderful.

Susan

Old July 16th 07, 09:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Ah, but mine are turned different ways, as in this pictu

http://files.quiltknit.com/images/rulers/ru218.jpg

In any case, I made a test with both, and I decided for the English
paper piecing as the method requiring less brainpower while sewing at
camp with distractions all around :-)

Thanks everyone!

Hanne in London

Old July 16th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:
[...]

There's a pattern for this in Lynne Edwards' New Sampler Quilt Book
using Eng. Paper Piecing. Its called Inner City. It went together like a
dream but did need a bit of concentration so that the correct colours
got joined! Sometimes I forgot to concentrate.

You may find the book in the Library, there is also one called The
Sampler Quilt Book, but this is in her second book. (Personally I think
its confusing calling the 2nd book the New Sampler Quilt Book). She also
uses the quilt as you go technique I was taught. Her books have really
clear diagrams with lots of photos of the finished blocks and the quilts
her students made using the patterns. You can actually see how they
quilted the blocks too.

I'm a big fan but NAYY.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old July 17th 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:
[...]

For the patches which I have already basted (a range across the
different fabrics), I laid them out making sure I got the contrasts
right and them stacked them carefully in their little groups of 6
half-hexes. Hopefully that will help :-)

The book sounds great, particularly the point about seeing how it is
quilted, as this is something which has me puzzled right now. I plan to
make a wall hanging, with the border being black and the half-hex top
being irregular with the black filling in. I'm thinking of quilting part
way into the black border using hex/half-hex motifs.

Thanks!
Hanne