Talking about quilty goals

Old October 24th 05, 10:12 PM
Tina

Default Talking about quilty goals

I posted on Morag's thread about my goal to learn how to do those Log
Cabins and all its variations....

but part of the reason I came to this conclusion, that I want to learn
how to do that, is that in looking at some of the really awesome quilts
at the Festival, I have realized that they really aren't all that hard
or involved. SOME of them anyway. Some of them are simplistic
patterns that LOOK really hard just because of the way they have been
turned or manipulated or changed just a wee bit, or the fabric
combinations.

For example, the Museum reproduction quilts in Kaffe Fassett's Exhibit
(I got to see him again today, close up and listen to him explain how
he did some of those quilts, he's SOoooo handsome!) anyway, I
digress.... but those quilts, are NOT difficult quilts. If anything,
they are some of the most simplistic patterns I have ever seen. Common
Snowballs and Nine Patches, but the fabrics he has used and the WAY he
has used them, make them look like a ton of work! Not only that, I was
shocked to get a really close up look and find that some of those
"blocks" are like "cheater" fabrics! They aren't really blocks at all!
DUH!

So anyway, it made me realize, that with some time, patience and
learning how to group the right fabrics together, I could make some
really awesome quilts too, and it wouldn't require a quilting degree!
LOL

Does anyone else have these kinds of profound realizations? Or am I
really that dim witted?

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 24th 05, 11:17 PM
nzlstar*

heck, Tina,
dont we all have these lightbulb moments. not that i always remember them
the next day but i'm sure somehow it sinks into my old grey matter in the
skull...as some level, i hope.

eq really comes in useful for trying out all those various block, layout,
fabric ,colour combos at the click of the mouse, assuming hes got enough
cheese. )
i use eq4 which has less than eq5 but its enough for me just now.
i love the playtime there.
hugz,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Tina" wrote...

Old October 24th 05, 11:52 PM
Tina

I even went to the EQ booth yesterday - I kept hearing about how
wonderful it was, and I wanted to see how it worked. I definitely
would LOVE to have it - but they didn't have it available for MAC
!!!!!!
I wanted to cry!

Tina

Old October 25th 05, 12:19 AM
frood

Tina, I think your Margaritaville quilt is pretty fabulous, but I do know
what you are saying.

I have taken a couple of classes with Roberta Horton, whose work I greatly
admire, and one of her "tricks" is to look for fabric that looks like it has
been pieced - not necessarily "cheater" fabric, but perhaps a large check or
something. Make the fabric do the work, she said.

I'm really drawn to quilts that showcase fabric, too. The color, the texture
(both visual and tactile), the graphic design... those are my favorite kind
of quilts. While I can admire the precision of perfect and difficult piecing
or applique, I'm not compelled to try to make one like that (not now anyway,
who knows what the future holds?).

My quilting goals include: becoming better at machine quilting. I figure if
I can get the mechanics down better, I can focus more on making the quilting
part of the overall design, instead of just what holds the layers together.
I'd also like to make some more small quilts, in order to try out some
design ideas. There's no reason I have to make a big quilt just because
whimsy strikes. Oh, and to win the lottery so I can have custom-made
shelving for my quilt studio, and maybe add on to the house so it can be a
bigger studio, and a hunky gardner named Antonio.....

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
ups.com...

Old October 25th 05, 01:15 AM
Sandy Foster

In article . com,
"Tina" wrote:

I even went to the EQ booth yesterday - I kept hearing about how
wonderful it was, and I wanted to see how it worked. I definitely
would LOVE to have it - but they didn't have it available for MAC
!!!!!!
I wanted to cry!

Tina

Tina, I knew there was something else I liked about you! g I'm a Mac
user, too. Now, there are a couple of things you can do to make
computerized quilt design easier.

(1) Buy the Mac version of QuiltPro http://www.quiltpro.com; it works
natively in OS X -- finally!

(2) Buy Virtual PC
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...aspx?pid=virtu
alpc *and* EQ5. EQ5 will run in Virtual PC (a PC emulator within the
Mac), albeit more slowly and with a couple of key combination
restrictions.

I have both and am going to be taking a 1/2-day class in EQ5 at
Festival. Obviously, option 1 above will be less expensive than option
2; I also find QP to be a bit more intuitive to the Mac user (JMHO), but
it does have a few limitations -- though EQ5 has different ones. g

So my recommendation is to go to the QP booth and try out the software.
Then go to the EQ5 booth and do the same. Then assess your finances and
make a decision. HTH!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 25th 05, 01:18 AM
Marcella Peek

In article . com,
"Tina" wrote:

I even went to the EQ booth yesterday - I kept hearing about how
wonderful it was, and I wanted to see how it worked. I definitely
would LOVE to have it - but they didn't have it available for MAC
!!!!!!
I wanted to cry!

Tina

My husband, the mac developer, offered to port it over for free, they
weren't interested.

I have QuiltPro which is for both the Mac and PC. I like it very much.
You might see if they have a booth there as well and see what you think.

marcella
Old October 25th 05, 01:18 AM
Tina

AWESOME! Thanks so much Sandy, I didn't even know about QuiltPro! I
will definitely have to find THAT booth at the show!

Thank you, thank you thank you! Now DH can quilt listening to me whine
about the EQ5 software! LOL

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 25th 05, 01:20 AM
Tina

You guys are such a wealth of information and so wonderful to boot!

Thank you with all my heart! How long would it have taken me to learn
about this QuiltPro without you guys!

I felt sure I was going to forever be the odd man out since DH ONLY
allows Mac products around here and EQ5 just wouldn't accomodate!

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 25th 05, 01:21 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:19:50 GMT, "frood"
wrote:

[...]

I too would like to try out techniques, without making an enormous
quilt in order to do so. That is why, perhaps in the new year, I
would like to start on my sampler quilt... the one I asked about ages
ago, when folks said, "Make it reversible! - brights on one side, and
country colours on the other". So that is how I'm going to try out
new things.
Another goal will be to stop doing swaps. They are so appealing,
they suck me in. Now I have enough blocks in enough different colours
and styles to do several quilts. It's time to make them into things;
time to experiment with different settings, learning more about
sashings, borders, multiple borders and all of that.
Improving machine quilting will be my third quilty goal. I need a
mattress pad anyway. I think this will be a good way to try all sorts
of things out and make something useful. Oh, a couple of potholders
would be good too. I'll find a way to make my products become
practical members of the household.
I'll do more serendipitous quilting, and I'll plan fewer things.
Little things that just spring to mind are so much more fun than
things with deadlines.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 25th 05, 01:40 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

In article . com,
"Tina" wrote:

I even went to the EQ booth yesterday - I kept hearing about how
wonderful it was, and I wanted to see how it worked. I definitely
would LOVE to have it - but they didn't have it available for MAC
!!!!!!
I wanted to cry!

Tina

My husband, the mac developer, offered to port it over for free, they
weren't interested.

AAAAACCCKKKKK!!!!!! (((

I have QuiltPro which is for both the Mac and PC. I like it very much.
You might see if they have a booth there as well and see what you think.

marcella

I also like QP very much. Actually, the only reason I bought VPC and EQ5
was because QP took so long to come out in OS X form -- I was really
tired of the old version crashing in OS 9. :S

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Quilty New Year's Goals frood Quilting 71 January 8th 05 10:32 PM
report on Jan goals, set Feb goals Cathy Biro Needlework 11 February 5th 04 01:00 PM
January goals Siptah Needlework 0 January 4th 04 08:27 PM
December Goals (report on November Goals Lynn Hansen Needlework 1 December 1st 03 06:03 AM
October Goals (report on September goals) Lynn Hansen Needlework 5 October 2nd 03 05:20 PM