I truly need your advice.

Old October 23rd 05, 03:51 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

Default I truly need your advice.

They are totally transparent, 9x11 1/2 x 2 1/2inches deep.

Betty in Wi wrote:
O.K., I give up! How big is a Crack 'N Peel box? I've never heard of it.

Betty in Wild West Wisconsin

"CNY/VAstitcher" wrote in message

Of course I have advice...pack the larger pieces in the glass front
cabinets and send the rest to me. With the purge that I recently did, I
discovered that I have a serious lack of quilting fabrics

Larisa, trying to help

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

I went to another garage sale this weekend. I bought six Crack 'N Peel
Plus boxes of fabric on the first day, and went back and got the rest
during her last hour of the sale today (17 more boxes and 12 gallon-size
ZipLock bags. There was so much I have no idea how many yards I bought.
I just know it was a bunch. The pieces range from 2 yards to fat
quarters and are all LQS quality.

I've always sorted by color with the small pieces on top of the larger
ones. I have glass-fronted cabinets because I enjoy looking at the
fabrics. However, with these last two garage sales, I don't have enough
room to do that. I've told my husband that if I read of another garage
sale with quilting fabric he is to remind me not to go! I will not need
another piece of fabric ever.

I figured I'd sort by size, then color, putting the yardage in the
cabinets (four) with 4-5 yard pieces in one, 4-3 in the second, 3-2 in
the third, and 2-1 in the last cabinent with fat quarters in large
plastic boxes. This won't work well because the boxes are heavy when
full and stacking and unstacking (they are translucent, but not
transparent)is hard on the back. Smaller pieces will be placed (by color)
in the Crack 'N Peel boxes and I have four plastic shoe boxes which are
filled with even smaller pieces.

I need some good ideas on how to store this stash. Some of my fabric is
labeled as to the size, but not the new stuff and only about half of what
I already had. Since I usually know how much fabric I'll need for any
given project, I don't want to dig through for a piece of fabric the is
the wrong size and then have to move everything aside to get it back in
its proper place.

Can you tell I need help? Please give me your advice on how to store
this fabric: color? size? HELP?

Old October 23rd 05, 04:00 AM
Betty in Wi

Thanks, I was picturing something much bigger........like a case of computer
paper (10 reams). And wondering where you were going to store that much
fabric. Still a good find!!! Congratulations....and all LQS quality!

Betty in WI

Old October 23rd 05, 04:04 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

I read your purge post and thought, "I need to borrow that gal." I have
some pieces of washable wool that I was going to give away, but thought
they would make nice "innards" (along with the batting) for the quilts
for the homeless, but until I get them done, they sit here and laugh at
me. I have yards and yards of woven gabardine to make business suits
(what I wore 12 years ago) and never got around to it, but don't know if
a couple layers of that would be warm enough for "innards" for the
homeless quilts. I have some blouse fabric (I hate making blouses) that
I can't use for quilting. If I could find someone to use them they
could have them, then I'd have room for this "enlarged-as-much-as-
it-is-ever-going-to-be" stash. Guess I could take them to the Salvation
Army store and use the drawers for the theme pieces.

Old October 23rd 05, 04:07 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

I'm leaning toward sorting by color too because that is how I've always
looked for fabric. You mentioned special collections, like bugs. I
found one piece of fabric in this stuff (haven't scratched the surface
yet)that had bugs on it, one with fish, one with starfish. Things I'll
use on the homeless quilts (don't have any little ones to make quilts
for), but I'd never have chosen for my stash.

Polly Esther wrote:
Mine's in bins by color. I put the little FQs and remains of other quilts
in zips in the bins with the big guys of the same color. I have a gorgeous
big basket that stays out and things that don't fit the color system go in
it. There's a stack of hat boxes that houses special collections such as
bugs and the boxes are boldly labeled so I don't have to lift and stack
everything.
The big color bins are heavy but usually I don't have to lift them. I
do have to stand on my head but you pick your battles. Polly

"~KK in BC~" wrote in message

My advice is.............
Squishy Squishy Squishy BEG LOL

Actually I don't have any advice. I am however jealous of your
acquisitions.

~KK in BC~ gonna go wonder off and wish and dream of too much fabric! but
wait.... is there really any such thing as too much fabric?? Maybe that is
a sure fire cure for real life? A bout with too much fabric?? LOL

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.

koffee_kupz on Yahoo Messenger
-rarely use msn-
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Old October 23rd 05, 04:56 AM
Polly Esther

I'm not obsessed with decorating. Heck. I'm not even particularly
interested. My idea of decorate is to clean it off and paint it white.
However . . . I did buy a set of hat boxes from Winterthur for the special
little pieces. The boxes look very nice stacked in my sewing room and do a
really good job of housing some treasures - crazy, strip, hanky and, yes,
the bugs.
And oh my yes, do make a baby quilt. They're such a joy to make. The
need for baby quilts is more than overwhelming, Linus for example. Polly

Old October 23rd 05, 05:18 AM
Patti S

Ohhhhhh Phyllis....... what a lovely, lovely problem to have!
I'd definitely sort by color, and then maybe novelty prints and such
separately. Polly's idea sounds like a winner too (the zip lock idea for
smaller pieces).

You're one lucky lady!! Have fun looking at your new treasure.

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
**mark twain**

Old October 23rd 05, 05:30 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

I can't even easily lift the larger plastic containers once I get them
filled, but I do know the size of a case of paper box, I've used them to
store just about everything under the sun. If anyone saw my basement
they'd think I was in the paper business. I brought the ZipLock bags in
and played with the fabric, but the other containers are still in the
car. I decided to sort and label according to color and started on the
greens. So far there are 27 half-yard cuts plus a lot that are smaller.
Of course, that's just the green.

I come down here to my sewing room, look at the work I have to do just
to get them put away, and I turn around and walk over here to the
computer instead.

Old October 23rd 05, 05:39 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

Thanks Lia. I do look at color first and have always stored them that
way, but you're right . . . I need to take a deep breath. Just wish I
weren't such a pack rat. I'd have more space if I got rid of my
potpourri making supplies, but when I walk in that area it smells so
good I hate to get rid of them. I'm sitting here looking at an open
shelving unit and know that if I clean it off, I'll have the room I
need, its just a matter of getting rid of the stuff that's on it!!!

I have ten of the storage boxes you mentioned, but obviously I could use
about that many more, so Monday I go shopping for boxes. Maybe I just
need to put them in boxes according to color and worry about the sizes
when I get around to using them. At least that way I'll get to play in
them now instead of later.

Julia Altshuler wrote:

Sit down. Take a deep breath. Ask yourself how do you work. The
answer to how to store your stash is hidden within. If, when you're
thinking about what fabric you want to put in a quilt, you think of
color, then store by color. If you look at the yardages needed, then
store by size. You could put fabrics appropriate for baby quilts
together or put brights together or any other system. You could even
let it go unsorted until a system presents itself to you.

Next, consider how much money you saved on the fabric itself and go buy
a bunch of uniform large wide shallow plastic boxes with lids. They
should be identical so they stack easily. They should be shallow (maybe
8" deep) so you can fold the fabric and have a little of it showing on
the top. That way you can look at the contents of one box and see all
the fabrics within without moving or refolding anything.

Go through the fabric, fold it, and place it in the boxes. Just doing
that will give you some idea of what you've got. I do recommend
separating out that fabric that's not appropriate for quilting. I use
100% cotton (rare exceptions) so I keep everything that's not that away
from my cottons.

--Lia

Old October 23rd 05, 06:23 AM
nzlstar*

oh oh, i know her addy.
anyone else want KK's addy, just ask.
yes yes i do have her permission.
geez, what am i silly?
the poor wee lass now has the flu on top of some other big big 'crapola'
going on in her life at the moment. she needs a damn big cuddle if ya ask
me. i might have to add northern BC to my visit list or better yet, maybe by
oct 2006, her troubles will be over and she can come meet us all at Houston.
thats my plan and a few others who dont make it often or have never made it
to houston at all.
shoulda been 2004 then 2005, now i got no holds for 2006 (fingers crossed)
so i'll be there, just gotta find my bells. )
hugz,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz