'nother loop on the bight

Old June 22nd 04, 06:33 AM
Carl West

Default 'nother loop on the bight

Well sorta. You need a free end to tie it, but it ends up on the bight.

I stumbled into this by trying to construct a lineman's loop around
something by threading the rope through the knot. I seem to have gotten
one of the ears mirrored.

Anyway, it's wonderfully symmetrical, easy to tie, pretty easy to untie,
and may even be useful.

It starts with a 'pretzel' which can be gotten to by flipping one loop
of a figure eight over to the other side. Twist the pretzel loops so the
running parts are on the inside and pull the middle of the pretzel up
through the two loops. Yeah, that's clear, he

http://h00050207be9f.ne.client2.attb...retzelLoop.jpg

I don't have paper sources to try to look it up, can someone point me to
how to do it on the web?

BTW, is there a FAQ for this group?

--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
Old June 24th 04, 03:01 PM
Dan Lehman

Carl West wrote in message news:nwPBc.86747$eu.13179@attbi_s02...
Well sorta. You need a free end to tie it, but it ends up on the bight.

It's #1408, in mid-loop form, out of Ashley.

(-;
Old June 25th 04, 06:48 PM
Carl West

Dan Lehman wrote:

It's #1408, in mid-loop form, out of Ashley.

Sadly, I don't have Ashley (yet. it's going on my Xmas list)
If you're willing, what's it called?

Old June 26th 04, 05:34 PM
Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
Carl West wrote:

Dan Lehman wrote:
It's #1408, in mid-loop form, out of Ashley.

Sadly, I don't have Ashley (yet. it's going on my Xmas list)
If you're willing, what's it called?

Here's the ABOK description:
1408. Here is another bend with the same untrustworthy fratures as the
"WHATNOT," yet in the form shown here it ranks amongst the securest bends
known.

However, 1408 should be read in conjunction with 1409 which reads:

1409. But in this second form it is one of the least secure knots known,
its only rival being the WHATNOT. The change from one of its forms to the
other may occur accidentally or intentionally. So the knot is quite
untrustworthy.

-30-

It should also be noted out that 1408-9 is marked with a pretzel, meaning
it is easy to untie while 1409 is marked with skull and crossbones to
indicate a dangerous knot. Illustration 1408 is not annotated.
Hope this helps.

--
Karl Pollak, Richmond, British Columbia
Sea Scouting in Canada at http://www.seascouts.ca/

loop on the bight Carl West Knots 10 May 27th 04 06:30 PM
Renee's Loop Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:18 AM
Lynda's Loop Announcement O J Knots 0 May 23rd 04 04:16 AM
Easy Perfection Loop roo Knots 26 April 17th 04 05:40 AM
Double Dragon Loop? roo Knots 5 April 9th 04 09:47 PM