Canvas and other awning ideas

Old February 11th 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
SteveB[_3_]

Default Canvas and other awning ideas

I have been out of the awning market for some time now. When I first
started, I went to Disneyland, and found all manner of awnings and ideas for
fastening them to frames, many of which I brought back to Las Vegas, and put
me in the forefront of awning makers in Vegas for years.

Now, today, I see lots and lots of covers on public school grounds. And
sail shaped combinations that give both shade and incredible aesthetic
effects. They are highly tensioned with steel cable, and I am sure made of
fabric about two light years ahead of Sunbrella in strength and weather
resistant properties. Anyone know the name or source of this?

I also weld, so making frames, and support columns and anchorages is no big
deal.

Are there any sites anyone can recommend where I can go and look for ideas?
What I do a lot is just carry my camera and when I see something, jump out
and take a picture. We were at Fazoli's the other day (a chain Italian fast
food restaurant) and the people musta thought we were crazy for taking
pictures. I see the company plate names on the shade structures, but they
want to sell the whole job, and not just the component parts.

Help, caveats, and guidance appreciated.

Steve

NP canvas question Cindy Needlework 1 June 13th 06 02:59 PM
14 ct canvas Jiminy Needlework 5 July 1st 04 09:20 PM
Floss on NP canvas? Kathy Tabb Needlework 21 April 8th 04 02:38 AM
Protecting My Canvas Miss Vikki Australia / Mystery Girl Needlework 9 December 13th 03 06:13 PM
Canvas Bag Corvus Corax Sewing 1 September 10th 03 10:40 AM