using oriental rug to make a cushion

Old February 10th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ellie C

Default using oriental rug to make a cushion

I'm going to try to make a window seat cover from a very worn oriental
rug. I'm planning on cutting the best part of it. I welcome advise on
what to attach it for its underside; if it can be hand sewn ( I doubt
my machines could handle it); what kind of thread and needles to use;
seam allowances for the rug piece. The space it is going to occupy is
16 x 42 ". Any other advice?
Ellie
Old February 12th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Roberta Zollner

My only experience is using a small rug to make a loose cushion, simply
folded it in half and hand stitched. For something like this, where you need
to cut into the rug, IMO you should bind the cut edges before you do
anything else. The widest commercial cotton binding might be OK, and your
machine might be able to handle this part, since it's only 1 layer of
carpet. Means you will have quite a wide seam allowance. (Maybe dry clean
after binding, if necessary.) Then if you have carpet on both sides, you can
do that part by hand.
Roberta in D

Chicken pin cushion amy[_2_] Quilting 49 July 7th 08 03:11 PM
Pin cushion Oriental man Porcelain German doll Co. justjoansetc Marketplace 0 May 5th 06 05:40 PM
New cushion Pictures. Sally Swindells Quilting 4 March 31st 05 10:27 PM
Oriental Artifacts - oriental arts & crafts for gift and decor [email protected] Marketplace 0 October 9th 03 04:04 AM