I broke the rules

Old February 13th 04, 08:42 PM
Millie

Default I broke the rules

I guess I broke the rules of this group by using the "for Sale" term,
it was never my intention to cause a problem, I only wanted to offer
some of my 66 years worth of expertise to someone who wanted it.

SPAM is something I never associated with myself until now, I have
given many free hours of my time teaching others about miniatures,
from now on everybody pays for any advice from me.

I have always found rules of this nature(no selling) silly, there is
always a way around the rule, spell it different it still smells the
same to me.

Millie
Old February 13th 04, 11:10 PM
Herb

No you didn't.

Let me guess. Some petty-minded individual e-mailed you directly and
complained because they KNEW that they wouldn't get any agreement from
anybody else here!

There is NOTHING that you wrote that even came close to breaking any of
the "rules". Don't let some idiot spoil your fun!

I'm finding your postings absolutely fascinating - the only thing wrong
with suggesting that "Lady of the Lake" might be offered for sale is
that I couldn't possibly afford it (much less find a place for it!)

Or were they complaining about wire coat hangers?
If so, this to whoever did.
GET REAL!

- Herb

Old February 14th 04, 01:40 AM
Farleyaw

I found another group where it seems ok to sell, rec. crafts.
marketplace, even though it is the same Google terms of use policy,
they must look the otherway. Go figure?

rec. crafts. marketplace is a newsgroup that was specifically designed as a
place to SELL your stuff, advertise, etc. I pop over there once in a while
when I am looking for needlework things. There's all kinds of neat stuff
listed on that newsgroup. That site is viewed by people who are into many
different hobbies. I would LOVE to see miniature things offered there. Please
study it when you have a chance and don't let that one bad guy hurt your
feelings in the meantime.

Anne
Old February 14th 04, 01:55 AM
Chuck

On 13 Feb 2004 11:42:50 -0800, (Millie) wrote:

SPAM is something I never associated with myself until now,

Geez, who would ever accuse you of spamming? True, we do have a "no
selling" rule here, which we put into the charter to keep the
newsgroup from being overrun by _real_ spammers. Who was this person
who was so rude as to call you a spammer?

I know when _I_ remind people of the "no selling" rule, I do it in a
polite and friendly way, and especially try to welcome newcomers and
gently point out to them our "no selling" rule.

I have
given many free hours of my time teaching others about miniatures,
from now on everybody pays for any advice from me.

Hmm, doesn't sound like a friendly, crafty attitude. Most folks I
know (actually, every one I've met to date) who is a miniaturist or
other skilled crafter, woodworker, etc., has been glad to share their
knowledge. Most all of use here, and the many contributors to this
newsgroup over the past 7 or 8 years have given many hours of our time
on here, as well as in individual instruction teaching others about
miniatures.

I have always found rules of this nature(no selling) silly,

Yeah, I know what you mean. A lot of people find other rules silly
too, like speed limits, tax laws, paying for what you get from a
store, or not littering for instance. Heck, those rules are all made
for "other people" anyhow -- might as well break them if you don't
agree with them.

Lot's of people show their disrespect for others that way. Imagine
you have a dinner party and invite 20 people and their guests and ask
them all not to smoke while they're in your home.
When the party is over you find cigarette butts ground out in your
carpet, ashes and burn marks all over your furniture and your house
smells like a bar...well, they thought the "no smoking" rule was
silly.

there is always a way around the rule,

True, there's that route, too. Remember, rules are for "other
people." Brings to mind this quote, "That depends on what the meaning
of 'is' is."

spell it different it still smells the same to me.

Like " d i s r e s p e c t ? " You'd think someone who demands
respect because of their vast experience in the world of miniatures
would have learned in their 66+ years that respect is a two-way
street.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old February 14th 04, 08:03 PM
Carol

"Millie" wrote in message
om...
I guess I broke the rules of this group by using the "for Sale" term,
it was never my intention to cause a problem, I only wanted to offer
some of my 66 years worth of expertise to someone who wanted it.

SPAM is something I never associated with myself until now, I have
given many free hours of my time teaching others about miniatures,
from now on everybody pays for any advice from me.

I have always found rules of this nature(no selling) silly, there is
always a way around the rule, spell it different it still smells the
same to me.

It doesn't look to me like you broke the rules, at least not blatently.

I also have given many free hours giving advice for free and that is part of
being in the miniaturist community. The only people who can demand money
are those artisans when they give classes. I don't think anyone is about to
pay for advice, not when there are so many groups with helpful people in
them willing to share their knowledge for free.

The no selling rule is not silly. It's to prevent sellers from overruning
groups. I have unsubbed from many Yahoo miniature groups because it became
nothing but sales pitches. There are around 15,000 Ebay miniature auctions
and I hope that they don't decide to start posting their auctions in this
group. There are other groups that don't allow selling. Many of us are
tired of advertising. We are indundated with it all day on TV,
telemarketing (there are ways to get around the "do not call" law), spam,
pop up ads, banner ads etc. We like to find a place where we are not
barraged with sales pitches.

Selling is "allowed" in that if someone is looking for something specific
you are allowed to post that you have it and you can put your business info
in your signature line (like I have done). There is also a website
associated with this group that has a listing of sellers.

I have a request that whoever is privately emailing people would stop. If
you've got a complaint, air it publicly.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old February 15th 04, 02:19 AM
Pam

"Carol" wrote in message link.net...
"Millie" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Please tell me where these Yahoo Miniature groups that allow selling
are, I need stuff! Please!

There are around 15,000 Ebay miniature auctions
and I hope that they don't decide to start posting their auctions in this
group. There are other groups that don't allow selling. Many of us are
tired of advertising. We are indundated with it all day on TV,
telemarketing (there are ways to get around the "do not call" law), spam,
pop up ads, banner ads etc. We like to find a place where we are not
barraged with sales pitches.

You don't even answer each others questions frequently here, where is
the inundation?

Selling is "allowed" in that if someone is looking for something specific
you are allowed to post that you have it and you can put your business info
in your signature line (like I have done). There is also a website
associated with this group that has a listing of sellers.

So if you spell it different like you have that makes it ok? I find
that arguement assinine, selling is selling, you do it in your
signature line, she said for sale! Coathangers for heavens sakes,
jeez... She just started, as did I, to post, and we have to follow
rules that seem to mean if your **** or %%%% it's ok, but if you are
@@@@@ then its NO! NO!

http://www.spminiatures.com SELLING SELLING SELLING!!!!!!!!!

Old February 15th 04, 04:56 AM
Millie

"Carol" wrote in message link.net...
"Millie" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I am leaving, you advertise your site above these words, but thats not
selling, BS! How do you find the "website associated with this group"?
I think you are a couple of control freaks that don't like someone
knowing what they have to say and saying it. Pick on the next
"seller", I'm outa here!