COASTERS...CHRISTMAS

Old July 15th 03, 06:29 PM
Dannielle Beitzell

Default COASTERS...CHRISTMAS

Do you have a picture of these? I am having issues with the diagrams (yes,
I know I will have to make one to understand) and am curious if you have a
finished pic we could see?

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

"MerryStahel" wrote in message
Hey all,

My 12 year old niece is visiting and so I sat her down to teach her to

sew.

She's turned out about 30 coasters using my scraps! She's having a ball.
She's also helping me make her quilt and some pillows and pillowcases.

She's making little coaster gifts for Christmas for all her friends back

home -
we're tying them up with ribbon and the special ones get a box.

For those of you who don't know about the coasters, they make great

quickie
gifts and look TERRIFIC. Here are the instructions:

http://quilting.about.com/library/weekly/aa111998.htm

And here are the boxes they fit in:

http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/Produ...c=754&p=991976

You can make sets of 4 or 8 to fit in the boxes.

I really like this project because after I finish whatever I'm doing, I
generally have scraps. I've taken to cutting the scraps up in various

sizes
squares and I always have a stack of 5 inch squares now. I also cut up
leftover batting into 5 inch squares, so whenever I need a quick gift, I

can
simply put a few together!

If you use smaller squares, and put a small loop of ribbon in one corner,

you
make small padded Christmas ornaments! They look very pretty and are easy

make!

Merry

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://www.stardancerpress.com/MerryStahel/
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old July 15th 03, 09:27 PM
MerryStahel

Danielle,

Go to the webshots site in my sig line below and click on t he COASTERS album.

Here are simpler instructions, too...

Cut 6 five inch squares.

Cut 1 five inch square of batting.

Lay one square right side DOWN on table.
Lay batting on top of it.

Lay another square right side UP on top of it.

You now have a "sandwich."

Iron each of the other 4 squares in half.

Lay 1 half square on top of the sandwich on the LEFT. Lay another half square
on top, on the RIGHT. FOLDS should face each other, going UP the middle.

Take the other 2 squares and lay them on top of the previous half squares, on
TOP and BOTTOM. FOLDS should face each other - going LEFT to RIGHT.

Now lift RIGHT half square and tuck TOP half square under it. Lift LEFT half
square and tuck BOTTOM half square under it.

It should look WOVEN.

It should look how you close a box, when you don't have tape. (You know how
you insert the 4 box lids under each other to make them stay closed?).

Now - pin it in the middle, in an X.

Sew all the way around the outer edge with a quarter inch seam (or whatever you
are comfortable with). Don't leave any edges open.

Clip the corners just below the seam line.

Now, see the hole in the middle? Turn it wrong side out...and use a pokie
thing or scissors tips to poke the corners out.

Viola! It's right side out!

If anyone has problems - email me and I'll SEND you 2...one unfinished and one
finished.

Old July 16th 03, 02:41 PM
Linda

Merry,

Thanks for the pictures and clearer directions. I think I get it now, and it
looks like fun.

While I was there, I peeked at your quilts. Really nice. (The Irish chain in
particular!) . But I have to tell you that your puppies stole my heart.

Linda F.
Apex, NC

Old July 17th 03, 12:47 AM
AliceW

The coasters are fabulous! I made some last Christmas for my niece and
nephew. I also bought the little crates. I made my nieces from asian
fabrics with lots of red and black and my DH painted the crate for those a
shiny black. My nephew got kokopelli coasters and my DH stained that crate.
They were a big hit! I have plenty on my list for this year too! But I
have 11 months to get those done, right?
--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"

Old July 17th 03, 06:40 PM
Diana Curtis

If you mean to have them done for Christmas this year, then I must ask when
Christmas comes in your world.
11 months?? from Now?
Im totally confused..
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old July 18th 03, 12:29 AM
AliceW

Oh, God, don't tell me I don't have 11 months! I need 11 months, it will
take me that long to get everything done! Wasn't Christmas a month

Old July 18th 03, 12:32 AM
zo

Maybe she's one of those pesky aussies from down under (ha ha)