Free crochet pattern for sweater?

Old July 13th 04, 01:36 PM
Videophile

Default Free crochet pattern for sweater?

I was hoping someone knew of a good freeware source for a crochet
pattern for a cardigan-style (vs pullover) type of sweater?

Something filmy, gauzy and lacy preferred. Anything sort of like
these, though in cardigan style (i.e., with buttons):
http://host.smcserver2.com/users/use...ages/U0052.jpg
http://www.spiegel.com/assets/produc...il/0907171.jpg
http://www.artoftangle.com/Im000971%20copy.JPG

Thanks so much!

Old July 13th 04, 02:07 PM
Joan Erickson

Videophile wrote:
I was hoping someone knew of a good freeware source for a crochet
pattern for a cardigan-style (vs pullover) type of sweater?

I didn't take the time to look through them all, but Lion Brand Yarn's
website has a number of free patterns.
http://lionbrandyarn.com/
Good luck!
--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old July 13th 04, 02:53 PM
Sorceress

Videophile opined thusly:

I was hoping someone knew of a good freeware source for a crochet
pattern for a cardigan-style (vs pullover) type of sweater?

Something filmy, gauzy and lacy preferred. Anything sort of like
these, though in cardigan style (i.e., with buttons):
http://host.smcserver2.com/users/use...ages/U0052.jpg
http://www.spiegel.com/assets/produc...il/0907171.jpg
http://www.artoftangle.com/Im000971%20copy.JPG

Thanks so much!

Asking in rec.crafts.textiles.yarn will probably net you much info.

--
Regards,
--Anne

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail

Blog Info:
http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.php
http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/atom.xml

Old July 13th 04, 04:11 PM
F.James Cripwell

Videophile ) writes:
I was hoping someone knew of a good freeware source for a crochet
pattern for a cardigan-style (vs pullover) type of sweater?
(snip)
Thanks so much!

You may not be aware of this, but a word of warning. Crochet does
not lend itself to making clothing, like sweaters, the way knitting does.
Knitted garments have lots of "give", and tend to stretch and fit to the
body. Crochet is much more rigid, and it can be extremely tough to get a
good fit. Many years ago, I made a crochet sweater for Jill. The first
time I completed it, it looked absolutely terrible. I made a lot of
measurements, undid it, modified the pattern, and recrocheted it. It was
much better, but not right. I made more measurements, undid it and
reworked it, again. The third time, it fitted well enough to be worn, but it
never really fitted properly. HTH.

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old July 13th 04, 04:39 PM
Lucille

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
Videophile ) writes:
[...]

You're mostly right. If you crochet using worsted weight year it's very
difficult to get it to drape and is rigid so it's hard to get a proper fit.
If you crochet using very thin yarn, like fingering weight, it isn't quite
so rigid and can be used for better fitting clothing. One problem is that
crochet doesn't have much stretch so you must figure out the increases and
decreases to make it fit correctly before you even begin, or you need to
modify it as you go along.

I've seen some stunning, closely fitted garments, like a wedding gown that
was made in crochet cotton and it fit beautifully and I have crocheted lace
dresses back when they were popular, that fitted nicely.

Lucille.

Old July 13th 04, 05:51 PM
Sorceress

F.James Cripwell opined thusly:

Videophile ) writes:
[...]

I agree with you in general, but feel it's important to point out that the
key is the weight of fiber used, and the stitch employed. A lacier stitch
is going to have more air between the stitches, and therefore will flex
better.

A crocheted top in lace weight, or fingering weight can be fitted quite
nicely. On the other hand, a sc top in worsted, bulky, or chunky would be
rather similar to chain-mail! Heh.

Old July 14th 04, 12:31 PM
Videophile

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:07:07 -0500, Joan Erickson
wrote:

Videophile wrote:
I was hoping someone knew of a good freeware source for a crochet
pattern for a cardigan-style (vs pullover) type of sweater?

I didn't take the time to look through them all, but Lion Brand Yarn's
website has a number of free patterns.
http://lionbrandyarn.com/
Good luck!

Thank you so much! I'll take a look through the site.