Butterfly Quilt finished!

Old May 9th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Butterfly Quilt finished!

Gorgeous. Even an ogre would smile when looking at it.

--
Mary
"Katinka in Germany" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just finished my latest quilt last night: My Butterfly Quilt!

If you're interested, please go see:
http://hometown.aol.de/rklatrille/homepage/basteln.html

Can you tell by the colours that spring is here again?! ;-)
And did I ever tell you I love bright colours ... ?

:-D
Katinka in Germany.

Old May 9th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sehr Gut!! It is beautiful. Linda in Tx

Old May 9th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Your colors are great and your quilt is just lovely. Great job!!

Patti in Seattle

Old May 9th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That is a very beautiful quilt. I must admit I have never quilted
anything in my life. But am interested in trying my hand at it.

I'm interested in how you found the butterflys and the Morning Glorys
that you have on your quilt? Where they on a piece of fabric you found
somewhere?

Also, for beginners, what books would you suggest?

I suspect a simple crazy quilt will be my first project.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old May 9th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Are you new around here Myrl?
I don't remember seeing your name before. If so, welcome. If not, I
apologise for my memory - used to be great ...!

The technique of applying flowers (particularly) and other motifs cut
from fabric is one of the oldest of patchwork and quilting techniques.
It even has a name - broderie perse (French).

So, you are looking for your first project. If I were you I would not
choose a crazy quilt - they are actually not that easy at all. They
might look it! but that is the skill of the quilt artist.

A couple of books often recommended here a

"Your first quilt book (or it should be)" by Carol Doak;
and
"Quilter's Complete Guide" by Marianne Fons and Liz Porter.

But, do go to your library first and see what they can offer you. Books
are expensive, and you can browse through several from the library
before you buy your own.
..
In message . com,
writes
That is a very beautiful quilt. I must admit I have never quilted
anything in my life. But am interested in trying my hand at it.

I'm interested in how you found the butterflys and the Morning Glorys
that you have on your quilt? Where they on a piece of fabric you found
somewhere?

Also, for beginners, what books would you suggest?

I suspect a simple crazy quilt will be my first project.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 9th 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hullo! Jumping on board here - Quilter's Complete Guide is a godsend. I
love it and it was my first quilt book and I still use it.

My favourite for a nice easy first time quilt is a rail fence. Goes
together quick 'n' easy.

Good luck and don't forget to share!

quicker)

"Patti" wrote in message

[...]

.
In message . com,
writes

Old May 9th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks Patti and Sharon, for the suggestions. I may go ahead and
purchase the "Quilter's Complete Guide" since both of you recommend it.

I'm new to this board. In the past I had a full time job in the
computer software industry, while also working as a Realtor. The
company had a downsize last Autumn, which has turned out to be a
blessing in disguise. I no longer burn the candle at both ends and in
the middle. I do continue to sell real estate however.

I keep remembering the things I loved to do during the 1970s, when I
was raising my kids. . .canning, sewing, crafts, etc. I had an aunt
who made wonderful quilts. I always said when I get a little more free
time, I want to try my hand at quilting.

So yesterday, I found this newsboard. . .Thanks for the info. I live
in Sacramento, California.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old May 9th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi Myrl, I lived in Citrus Hts 1977-79. My DD was born at American River
Hopsital. Welcome!

Linda in Tx

Old May 9th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

What a very small world it is!

Old May 9th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The books Patti recommends are good. I also like her suggestion to look
for something at the library. For a first quilt, the patterns from Quilt
In a Day are good, especially something like Irish Chain or Rail Fence.
The directions are clearly written and very detailed.

Julia in MN

Patti wrote:
A couple of books often recommended here a

"Your first quilt book (or it should be)" by Carol Doak;
and
"Quilter's Complete Guide" by Marianne Fons and Liz Porter.

But, do go to your library first and see what they can offer you. Books
are expensive, and you can browse through several from the library
before you buy your own.
.
In message . com,
writes

Also, for beginners, what books would you suggest?

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Haunted Christmas Quilt Nbhilyard Quilting 2 June 18th 11 05:04 PM
BOM Search Sewbaby Quilting 4 April 21st 06 07:00 PM
DECEMBER'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 83 December 16th 05 02:03 AM
One block, two RCB'ers Lisa Caryl Quilting 23 May 25th 05 04:25 AM
Story of a Hug Quilt Christina In Ok Quilting 17 November 11th 04 08:41 PM